Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    can anyone explian june 2011 q2a?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have the june 2012 article that they post on here?

ReputationRep:
    What are the points do we have to know to describe this experiment : effects of exercise on tidal volume and breathing rate? and how many marks do they usually carry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubblegummer)
    What are the points do we have to know to describe this experiment : effects of exercise on tidal volume and breathing rate? and how many marks do they usually carry?
    There's around 5-6 points on this usually: calibration of the machine, mention the trace and how it works, what the trace will show before/after exercise, the substance that collects CO2, how to measure one breathe (from one peak to the next)

I'm just spouting out the points my teacher told me yesterday but that's basically what you need. There's probably a few more and it has to be put into logical order of the experiment of course

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    hey!
    can anyone explain to me this question and answer based on the article:
    *The non-reproductive individuals in eusocial animals do not directly transfer their genes to offspring. In spite of this there must still be a genetic advantage in being eusocial – suggest what this must be.

*Non-reproductive naked mole rats share alleles/genes with other members of the colony;
    *By assisting other members of the colony Queen can produce more offspring;
    *This increases chances (of the genes they share) being inherited;

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abod)
    I will answer that.
    In the UK version, in page 2, the naked mole rate picture has got no heading (Naked mole rat) or 'magnification x 0.3' under the picture, whereas in the international version, under the picture, 'naked mole rat' is written and they have told us that magnification is 0.3

Plus, a different paper reference.
    Really? And they did am international version because....reasons?

Anyway, thanks a lot for pointing that out for me.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone, please, put in words Impulse propagation??

I understand the process, and would be able to draw it, but how do you put in down in words??
    Thanks a lot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nilie)
    Can anyone, please, put in words Impulse propagation??

I understand the process, and would be able to draw it, but how do you put in down in words??
    Thanks a lot!
    is that the same thing as conduction of an impulse along a neurone ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jojo1995)
    is that the same thing as conduction of an impulse along a neurone ?
    i think so, yeah

ReputationRep:
    how is the volume and rate calculated from the respirometer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IchHabDichLieb)
    how is the volume and rate calculated from the respirometer?
    Breathing rate is the number of peaks (on the trace) x minute
    Tidal volume = volume breathed in and out at one breath - from the trace it is top reading (of the peak) minuse the botoom reading of that peak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nilie)
    i think so, yeah

i say:

- impulse arrives at the neurone
    - na+ ion channels open atthe region of the neurone and na+ ions flow in ... casuing depolariastion of this part of the membrane
    - some of the na + ions move side ways to the next region of the membrane ..... this cause the na+ ion channels in this areas/ region of the membrane to open and so there is an influx of na+ ions into the axon here too
    - the same thing occurs again at the next (3rd) region
    at the 1st region, the na+ ions close and k + ions flow into the axon ... and the rest of the impulse cyle occurs ... it then goes into refractionary period ....

- the impulse moves away from regions of the membrane in refreactionary period
    - in this way the impulse is passed along the neurone

sorry if this is confusing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vladipn)
    Really? And they did am international version because....reasons?

Anyway, thanks a lot for pointing that out for me.
    No idea why there are two versions.
    No problem

ReputationRep:
    i say:

- impulse arrives at the neurone
    - na+ ion channels open atthe region of the neurone and na+ ions flow in ... casuing depolariastion of this part of the membrane
    - some of the na + ions move side ways to the next region of the membrane ..... this cause the na+ ion channels in this areas/ region of the membrane to open and so there is an influx of na+ ions into the axon here too
    - the same thing occurs again at the next (3rd) region
    at the 1st region, the na+ ions close and k + ions flow into the axon ... and the rest of the impulse cyle occurs ... it then goes into refractionary period ....

- the impulse moves away from regions of the membrane in refreactionary period
    - in this way the impulse is passed along the neurone

sorry if this is confusing
    thats great! Thanks

i just hope such a question does not come up((

ReputationRep:
    how is everyone finding the pre-release? Am getting worried as it has 30 marks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nilie)
    thats great! Thanks

i just hope such a question does not come up((
    haha yeah same ... i doubt it's come up that detailed if at all ... far too much

also does anyone know what the process of gene therapy is? ... a quick review please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by titch_04)
    how is everyone finding the pre-release? Am getting worried as it has 30 marks!
    i honestly need to max that section out in the real exam ... iahve been doiung past papers and i can oly seeem to get around 30/60 ... today i got 38/60 so i was pleased with that but still ... im becoming worried

i hope its easier ... have a look at the past paper type questions ... the questions seem to hold 2-3 marks each

ReputationRep:
    haha yeah same ... i doubt it's come up that detailed if at all ... far too much

also does anyone know what the process of gene therapy is? ... a quick review please
    from what i remember, is when a gene coding for a desired protein is inserted into human DNA using viral or lipid vectors, so that translation of proteins can start...

something of that kind..hah)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nilie)
    Breathing rate is the number of peaks (on the trace) x minute
    Tidal volume = volume breathed in and out at one breath - from the trace it is top reading (of the peak) minuse the botoom reading of that peak.
    the respirometer is the woodlice in the test tube

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nilie)
    from what i remember, is when a gene coding for a desired protein is inserted into human DNA using viral or lipid vectors, so that translation of proteins can start...

something of that kind..hah)

ahh okay, thank you .. so is it just the same thing as GM ? All these differnent names

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.