Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Is this suffice for answers?:

Behavioral Adaptation: These are changes in behavior that aid survival ( The Soldiers defending for the whole colony rather than just themselves)

Anatomical Adaptation: Physical/Structural changes- (Large, curved incisor teeth that allow them to break down tough plant fibrous material)

Physiological Adaptation: Changes in the internal biochemical functioning to aid survive: (The ability of neurones to tolerate low O2 conditions)

Would these responses get me the marks? Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by p1234h)
    thank you! afterwards, when lactate is taken to the liver to be converted back to pyruvate... why does the livers oxygen demand increase?

When lactate is oxidised back to pyruvate, NAD is also reduced to NADH. Aerobic respiration resumes. So we need more oxygen to accept the electrons from NADH in the electron transport chain so that NAD can be regenerated. NAD is needed so that glycolysis continues and ATP can once again be produced.

you're welcome

(Original post by Volltorb)
    Because:
    -Lactate needs to be converted into pyruvate by oxidation
    -The lactate is oxidised by the Krebs cycle to give pruyate, C02 and H20
    -The extra oxygen needed for this process is called the oxygen debt

i think this is more accurate.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone tell me the definition of Oxygen Debt?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jojo1995)
    some proteins have bonds that are more likely to be neutralised by free radials ie ioinc bonds i think

mole rats have fewer more covelant bonds and so thier structure is less likely to be disrupted by free radicals
    thx!

ReputationRep:
    what is/are the difference(s) between habituation and adaptation? what brings them both about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SKK94)
    Light adaptation:
    - all rhodopsin in rod cells have been broken down (bleached)
    - so rod cells cannot respond to dim light anymore
    - example:when you switch off the lights in a bright room, you initially cannot see anything for a few seconds (because rhodopsin has already broken down, and has to be remade). Rod cells cannot respond to low light levels.

Dark adaptation:
    - all rhodopsin has been reformed (with use of ATP)
    - so rod cells can respond to dim light
    - example: after some time being in a dark room, you can start to identify objects/shadows faintly, this is because rhodopsin has been re-synthesised and so your rod cells can respond to low light levels.
    Thanks for this. Out of curiosity, where did you find this information? It's not in the CGP revision guide

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bubblegummer)
    When lactate is oxidised back to pyruvate, NAD is also reduced to NADH. Aerobic respiration resumes. So we need more oxygen to accept the electrons from NADH in the electron transport chain so that NAD can be regenerated. NAD is needed so that glycolysis continues and ATP can once again be produced.

you're welcome

Because:
    -Lactate needs to be converted into pyruvate by oxidation
    -The lactate is oxidised by the Krebs cycle to give pruyate, C02 and H20
    -The extra oxygen needed for this process is called the oxygen debt

i think this is more accurate.
    thanks guys, both helped!

ReputationRep:
    Can you guys predict what spec points is likely to come up on monday?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dhaden)
    How science works Is a load of tosh, to much irrelevant garbage which isn't the syllabus and it isn't wrote in a concise way. For those reasons I personally use the revision guide and supplement my knowledge with points from mark schemes from past papers.
    How science works? Are you sure we're talking about the same book?

(Original post by Tomatochuckers)
    It's too long and packed with uselessness.

I mainly use the CGP and the official snab revision guide, though I do refer back to the big book for the larger chapters.
    They're useful, but don't always contain everything you need to know in detail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sly1)
    Can you guys predict what spec points is likely to come up on monday?
    Anything could come up, so just revise everything.

ReputationRep:
    HEYYYY FRIENDS

I need help with the respirometer experiment,

I am a bit confused as to why the equipment has to be placed in a water bath? How does the temperature affect the rate of respiration or the uptake of oxygen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zahra333)
    HEYYYY FRIENDS

I need help with the respirometer experiment,

I am a bit confused as to why the equipment has to be placed in a water bath? How does the temperature affect the rate of respiration or the uptake of oxygen?

temperature affects the enzyme activity - enzymes involves in respiration ... htey have too much or too little kinetic energy so affects rate of respiration.

ReputationRep:
    could someone define both negative feedback and homeostasis for me PLEASE
    !! thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jojo1995)
    temperature affects the enzyme activity - enzymes involves in respiration ... htey have too much or too little kinetic energy so affects rate of respiration.

AHHHHH ok! got it thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ap1111)
    Hi guys

In the respirometer practical the fluid moves due to a change jn volume and pressure it says in most mark schemes. Is this a decrease or increase in pressure/volume which leads to the fluid movement?
    A decrease, the soda lime absorbs the CO2 released during respiration, this decreases the pressure causing a pull on the liquid making it move forwards.

(Original post by Satta101)
    Can anyone summarise the habituation practical please?
    Get a snail.
    Let it acclimatise for a bit.
    Poke it between the eyes with a cotton bud.
    It should withdraw it's eyes inside its head (hard to explain)
    Time how long it takes for the eyes to come back out.
    Keep repeating this.
    Eventually the time it takes to come back out should decrease because it's now habituated.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe someone will be able to help me here:

Let's use a 5 mark question on muscle contraction (one of those with the astrex), as an example. Let's say the mark scheme shows 11 possible marks. I make 5 points, cover the whole procedure and have good spelling and grammar; is that 5 marks? Or do they expect more than 5 points?

My teacher said last year that more some questions, you needed to make more points then marks available? Like maybe a 2 mark question would require 3 points? Anyone have a teacher explain this? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chris-69)
    Maybe someone will be able to help me here:

Let's use a 5 mark question on muscle contraction (one of those with the astrex), as an example. Let's say the mark scheme shows 11 possible marks. I make 5 points, cover the whole procedure and have good spelling and grammar; is that 5 marks? Or do they expect more than 5 points?

My teacher said last year that more some questions, you needed to make more points then marks available? Like maybe a 2 mark question would require 3 points? Anyone have a teacher explain this? Thanks!
    If you give 5 valid points that are on the mark scheme then you'll get the 5 marks, but it's always better to put as much as you can to be on the safe side

ReputationRep:
    Has any one seen the marking points on the June 2012 paper, question 3a (i) :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Has any one seen the marking points on the June 2012 paper, question 3a (i) :eek:
    Lol I remember doing this question with my class and all obtained only 1 mark
    June 2012 paper is shtt only a few questions are good biology based

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super121)
    If you give 5 valid points that are on the mark scheme then you'll get the 5 marks, but it's always better to put as much as you can to be on the safe side
    Thank you! Put my mind at ease. And yes, of course I'll always put as much information as possible to be sure

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.