Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aishahhhhh)
    Does anyone have the mark scheme for this paper which opens as a pdf?
    wht year ? Jan or June ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abod)
    Mind telling, what grade did you achieve?
    I managed to get an A* by some sort of miracle haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramanan)
    wht year ? Jan or June ?
    The January 2013 6BIO5/01 please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I Hate Edexcel)
    I managed to get an A* by some sort of miracle haha
    there is an A* for unit 4?

ReputationRep:
    stepping into the thread out of the blue, i m not going to study for much longer, bloody exhausted after all this, so tomorrow afternoon, i ll be free from my exams, last one!!!!! i really need to get a high grade to get into uni, good luck everyone, tomorrow afternoon around 4pm, freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I hate not knowing what the last section is going to be like. I just don't know what to expect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maybenexttime)
    Anyone got the pre-release material for PAST PAPERS? (So we can do Section C of past papers)
    it was somewhere in the old post, try this if u haven't started to prepare for part C
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...8&postcount=32

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5&postcount=72

ReputationRep:
    a bit confused when markschemes used word potential difference and de-polarisation... can someone please explain the difference? thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aishahhhhh)
    The January 2013 6BIO5/01 please
    6BI05_01_rms_20130307.pdf

here u go

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait for the exam to finish and discuss how sh1t the exam went :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ramanan)
    6BI05_01_rms_20130307.pdf

here u go
    omgg thankyou so much been looking for this for agesss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsr1)
    a bit confused when markschemes used word potential difference and de-polarisation... can someone please explain the difference? thanks
    the distribution of ions (Na+ and K+)(-70mV) causes out side of the membrane to be positive and inside to be negative. this Gradient of charges is the potential difference

When the Charges get reversed due to action potention (outside Negative and inside positive)(+40mV) its called Depolarization.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNoobyPotato)
    hello, could anyone explain this bit in the mark scheme please? The question was about comparing auxins to hormonal control:

4. speed of action compared e.g. slower in plants,
    some animal hormones are faster ;
    5. duration of effect compared e.g. some animal
    hormones have a shorter term effect ;

Why is speed faster in animals? is it just the fact that the hormones reach their target faster in blood?
    And also, the whole duration thing. I thought animals would have a longer duration, such as testosterone effecting males over years, whereas auxins take a few hours.. But I understand that something like adrenalin would take a shorter time than Auxins. So would either be acceptable - the mark scheme is SO ambigious?
    Seeing as the mark scheme refers to some animal hormones being faster I can only assume that they must mean adrenaline and noradrenaline etc, but I can't see why mentioning long term hormones such as testosterone wouldn't get the mark as well, it's a valid point and the mark scheme says e.g. implying that mentioning long term hormones is also acceptable.

As for speed, it may be a reference to animal hormones travelling in blood, so leading to rapid delivery and therefore rapid effect, opposed to hormones diffusing in plants which would take longer?

So basically I agree with you, I'm hoping that the ambiguity of the mark scheme means that there are several correct answers and that the people marking the exams will mark according to their knowledge, not just using the given e.g.'s in the mark scheme

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lujain Al Omari)
    positive feedback is when effectors promote a change. For example, in the case of the development of athersclerosis, blood pressure is the cause. It damages the endothelial lining of arteries, so platelets clump on the wound. Cholesterol then settles on the clump, forming and atheroma. This increases blood pressure further, so more damage occurs....

I'm not sure what you mean by hypothermia in this context. Can you elaborate?
    i meant positive feedback mechanism will result in hypothermia since the temperature drops to a certain level and couldn't return to normal. hmm that was a question actually but i'm clear with it now. Thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please explain how plants detect light using phytochromes and why the conversion between Pr and Pfr is needed?

ReputationRep:
    I think this has been asked before but I can't really find a clear answer anywhere, regarding naked mole rats, what's the advantage of having pigment containing cells in the dermis rather than the epidermis in relation to being a poikilotherm? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    can somebody explain how fMRI is used to investigate brain function?

ReputationRep:
    Too much stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Could someone please explain what Kin recognition is? (pre release paragraph 51 and 52)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hussaincute)
    can somebody explain how fMRI is used to investigate brain function?
    Basically radio waves are used to monitor the uptake of oxygen in the brain. Deoxyhaemoglobin absorbs the radio waves and later re-emits it, oxyhaemoglobin doesn't. When an area of the brain is active blood flow increases therefore so does oxygen and oxyhaemoglobin. Therefore in these active areas less radio waves are absorbed. The level of radio waves absorbed can be monitored and false colour may be added to show the functioning levels of areas of the brain in real time.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.