Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super121)
    The pre-release? Then yes
    yeah is it the specification report?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViolentMind)
    yeah is it the specification report?
    It's under assessment materials, but it's locked for some reason. It's definitely been posted on this thread a few times so have a look back

ReputationRep:
    can somebody answer these questions plz:

1)Explain why large bodied animals need a well developed circulatory system?

2)Describe the events in the eukaryotic mitotic cell cycle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EstebanK0)
    Using mainly using an A2 Unit 5 revision guide authored by Mary Jones:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Biol...biology+unit+5

I don't many people are using this but I think it's really good. I found a PDF of it somewhere online.

I'm also using the CGP revision guide and a little bit of the Edexcel text book (also a pdf). We did SNAB in school but I hated it so I printed out the green textbook

Atm, I'm digressing badly.
    I'm using the cgp revision guide but i usually find that the questions are slightly weird and different to the spec. Perhaps a more twisted view of the spec if you know what i mean

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    I'm using the cgp revision guide but i usually find that the questions are slightly weird and different to the spec. Perhaps a more twisted view of the spec if you know what i mean
    Yeah I get you. Did you do SNAB or normal biology in school? SNAB is the worst.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super121)
    It's under assessment materials, but it's locked for some reason. It's definitely been posted on this thread a few times so have a look back
    Ohh yeah my mind wandered there, i have it thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I get you. Did you do SNAB or normal biology in school? SNAB is the worst.
    We do the normal biology but i do find that the book does waffle a bit

ReputationRep:
    im aiming 30/90 -_-
    good luck ppl

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    We do the normal biology but i do find that the book does waffle a bit
    I'll admit, there's quite a lot of unnecessary info. in the green book, but I find the SNAB book to be too vague and simplistic when studying certain theories. I prefer the layout the diagrams in the green book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwantopas19)
    im aiming 30/90 -_-
    good luck ppl
    What are the grade boundaries like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hussaincute)
    can somebody answer these questions plz:

1)Explain why large bodied animals need a well developed circulatory system?

2)Describe the events in the eukaryotic mitotic cell cycle?
    1) Large bodied organisms have a low surface area : Volume ration (we've got a lot of volume and not a lot of surface area), so trying to diffuse or absorb all the air and nutrients through our skin just wouldn't work because the diffusion pathway is far too long and the cells on the deep inside of our bodies would never get the stuff they need, and if they did, it'd only arrive there three hours later! So we need a well developed circulatory system, which branches out to all the tissues and cells of the body so nutrients and Oxygen etc etc can be transported there quickly.

2) How much detail do you want? You've got Interphase which is split up into G1 (Gap 1: growing and doing its normal stuff), then S (synthesis) in which DNA replication occurs, then G2 (gap 2, more growth and just doing its normal Cell-y functions, also organelles duplicate in prep for cell division). Then it is Mitosis and we all know what happens there (Prophase, Metaphase, Anaphase and Telophase). Finally it is Cytokineses, which is when the cell actually splits into two.

ReputationRep:
    I'll admit, there's quite a lot of unnecessary info. in the green book, but I find the SNAB book to be too vague and simplistic when studying certain theories. I prefer the layout the diagrams in the green book.
    Yeah, that's true the diagrams are good in the green book btw what are your predictions for tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwantopas19)
    im aiming 30/90 -_-
    good luck ppl
    LOL me too, I literally need anything around there to get into uni. Still kinda worried as lately I've somehow forgotten everything I've learned.

ReputationRep:
    can sombody plz answer that in simple words:

explain why ATP production decreases when oxygen is low in the tissues?

ReputationRep:
    More unit 5 questions:

Describe the structure of a muscle fibre. (4)
    Spoiler:
    Show

- Reference to multinucleated
    - Reference to {sarcolemma/sarcoplasm/sarcoplasmic reticulum}
    - Contains myofibrils
    - Myofibrils made up of {sarcomeres/contractile units}
    - Sarcomeres made up of {actin/thin filament} and {myosin/thick filament}

Explain how plants grow towards light. (6)
    Spoiler:
    Show

- Idea of {auxins/IAA/eq} being distributed on the side that is not illuminated
    - Auxins {diffuse} down the coleoptile
    - {Auxins/IAA/eq} bind to receptors on the plasma membrane of the plant cells
    - Idea of the binding of the {auxins/IAA/eq} to receptors causing the the production/activation of {second messenger molecules}
    - Reference to the production of extra {enzymes/other proteins/eq}
    - Idea of the {auxins/IAA/eq} stimulating {proton pumps/eq} (to lower pH inside the cell)
    - Reference to the low pH stimulating an enzyme to break the bonds between the {microfibrils/eq} in the cell membrane
    - Idea of the movement of H+ ions causing a change in potential difference and causing the movement of water into the cell by {osmosis}
    - Reference to the cells swelling (due to water intake) and elongating them as they grow
    - Idea of the elongation of the cells causing the plant to grow towards the light

State two consequences of exercising too little and two consequences of exercising too little. (4)
    Spoiler:
    Show

Maximum of two marks (exercising too little):
    - Obesity
    - Heart disease/named example
    - Stroke
    - (Type II) diabetes
    - Any other sensible consequence

Maximum of two marks (exercising too much):
    - Wear to muscles/joints
    - Damage to the immune system/more frequent infections
    - (Chronic) fatigue
    - Any other sensible consequence

ReputationRep:
    hi does anyone have skype and want to do a chat about the exam i did it for english and it was really helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Volltorb)
    so i did and the mark scheme had "3.5 x 10-3 ÷ 1.7 x 10-6" but the answer was "2059 {million / x 10 6 }/ 2058.8 {million / x 10 6 } / 2 058 823 530 ;" ???
    Read the question again - it say that there is x force in a million fibres or something like that. I got stuck there too then realised I had missed out a bit of the question. It is mysoin filaments to fibres to muscule - not just filaments to muscle. This will make sense if you look at the question again.

ReputationRep:
    Feel so confident for this exam. The grade boundaries for each year are ridiculously low.

I also love this year's article, it's actually interesting!

Been getting full UMS in almost every past paper, so as long as the exam tomorrow doesn't suddenly turn into a chemistry paper, it should be plain sailing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hussaincute)
    can sombody plz answer that in simple words:

explain why ATP production decreases when oxygen is low in the tissues?
    With low O2, Aerobic Respiration cannot occur. However, glycolysis and Anaerobic respiration can. Anaerobic respiration produced only 2 molecules of ATP compared to the 36 produced by Aerobic respiration. So ATP production falls because there is less Aerobic Respiration and more anearobic respiration occurring.

ReputationRep:
    is action potential and potential difference the same thing? or action potential only occurs in at synapse? is can someone help me please thanks!

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.