Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harantony)
    The questions seem to be a bit more ambiguous as to what they are looking for. I find that I get really worried that I'm losing marks when I do the paper, then I look at the mark scheme and the answer they want is so simple! Having said that, there is at least one part in every paper which I don't understand and have to make an educated guess to get 1 or 2/6. I need to work on that.

The pre-release questions are quite basic so far in terms of what the mark scheme wants. I quite like the ones I've looked at so far; as long as you can remember the synoptic topics!

Haha get to it! I only finished learning everything on Friday (and have 1 or 2 topics that we are going to go over again), and the papers just need a bit of getting used to. You can do it! I have faith in you! :P
    Aww thank you!! Right then, I better get to it!!

ReputationRep:
    OMG, did not realise that the pre release contributes to 30 marks of the paper, not even looked at it, it is basically revising like whole bio book...... Any suggestions to know how to revise it, do we need to pick particular quotes from the case study to prove our points on questions or is it more of a 'revise questions and answers' (((

ReputationRep:
    hi i am a private candidate and i only just found out the scientific article and im completely lost :/ can some please explain to me what i need to do with this article and how im suppose to prepare for this section of questions and also if there are other things i need to to know about for this exam coz im really worried that i dont know everything i need to :/ please help!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shan_holmes)
    hi i am a private candidate and i only just found out the scientific article and im completely lost :/ can some please explain to me what i need to do with this article and how im suppose to prepare for this section of questions and also if there are other things i need to to know about for this exam coz im really worried that i dont know everything i need to :/ please help!!
    Yes the exam does consist of 30 marks based on this article. Mainky, this part of the exam is used to test our knowledge on synoptic things. So Unit 1, 2 and 4. They could ask any question related to this article but it would most probably be a synoptic question. Therefore, you need to revisit the last 3 units you learnt. A paragraph in the article might relate to stem cells we learnt in Unit 1, topic 2. Or something related to atherosclerosis or blood clot etc.
    To prepare, I would read this thread and practice these questions that people are discussing here and and use the materials people have posted. Also read previous years articles and questions so you can get an idea of what and how they ask questions in that section. Good luck. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    has anyone made notes on the pre release material? whats everyone doing with, just studying it and taking note of topics?

ReputationRep:
    i did every past year papers, now what to do? any reference materials for unit 5?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liowwc)
    i did every past year papers, now what to do? any reference materials for unit 5?
    Maybe look online for any topic tests available. And perhaps now focus all attention to the pre release material? And you could go through the textbook and revision guide and do the questions on there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by razia)
    Yes the exam does consist of 30 marks based on this article. Mainky, this part of the exam is used to test our knowledge on synoptic things. So Unit 1, 2 and 4. They could ask any question related to this article but it would most probably be a synoptic question. Therefore, you need to revisit the last 3 units you learnt. A paragraph in the article might relate to stem cells we learnt in Unit 1, topic 2. Or something related to atherosclerosis or blood clot etc.
    To prepare, I would read this thread and practice these questions that people are discussing here and and use the materials people have posted. Also read previous years articles and questions so you can get an idea of what and how they ask questions in that section. Good luck. :yes:
    Ahh alright thanks soo much, i only found out about the scientific particle from this forum :/

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got any help for exam technique? I feel that I know the stuff but am let down by exam technique

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liowwc)
    Well played, btw did you whilst doing past papers do the last questions involving the articles or did you leave them out? I was thinking, when i did one past paper so far, I did all the paper except the scientific article and was like whaaaaaat!!? So did you attempt them ?

ReputationRep:
    Here are some questions my biology teacher gave us for the scientific article:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Name:  20130511_134212.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  518.7 KB

Name:  20130511_134237.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  496.4 KB

ReputationRep:
    hey guys i nided some help in bio unit6B
    for the jan 2013 paper question that asks us to compare the critical value of t with the table gvn fr the degrees of freedom...
    does anyone kno hw to do it??
    if u dnt hv the paper let me know and i wil upload it
    thank u
    plz help me bfr tuesday coz i have the exam on that day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelz.pari)
    hey guys i nided some help in bio unit6B
    for the jan 2013 paper question that asks us to compare the critical value of t with the table gvn fr the degrees of freedom...
    does anyone kno hw to do it??
    if u dnt hv the paper let me know and i wil upload it
    thank u
    plz help me bfr tuesday coz i have the exam on that day
    This is the formula for degrees of freedom...Name:  degrees of freedom.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  25.3 KB

In this paper, the degrees of freedom is 28 (therefore use 30 from the table, as it is the closest). Find the corresponding critical t value at p=0.05 ---> 2.04
    This is less than 3.30, so the alternate hypothesis is accepted and hence we can conclude there is a significant difference between number recalled with and w/o music.

Hope this helped!

By the way, here is the thread for our paper on tuesday!
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...8#post42560088

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I was wondering where I could get hold of the scientific article as I am an external candidate teaching myself the material!?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ikklemini)
    Hey guys I was wondering where I could get hold of the scientific article as I am an external candidate teaching myself the material!?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

(Original post by Abod)
    download it from here

or here

and international only from here

credit to saadmannan of studentforums for uploading the scientific article
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SKK94)
    This is the formula for degrees of freedom...Name:  degrees of freedom.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  25.3 KB

In this paper, the degrees of freedom is 28 (therefore use 30 from the table, as it is the closest). Find the corresponding critical t value at p=0.05 ---> 2.04
    This is less than 3.30, so the alternate hypothesis is accepted and hence we can conclude there is a significant difference between number recalled with and w/o music.

Hope this helped!

By the way, here is the thread for our paper on tuesday!
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...8#post42560088

heyy thank you so much i truly appreciate it )

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know the difference between a muscle fibre, a myofibril and a filament?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConradDodds)
    has anyone made notes on the pre release material? whats everyone doing with, just studying it and taking note of topics?
    Hey if you inbox me your email address I can send you a fully annotated article
    File is too big to upload

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Satta101)
    Anyone know the difference between a muscle fibre, a myofibril and a filament?
    So a muscle fibre is what makes up the muscle, the myofibrils make up the muscle fibres and these are made from sarcomeres which are made up of thin actin and thick myosin.

It is referred to as actin filament, hence 'sliding filament theory' as the actin will slide over the myosin.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hdizzle)
    Hey if you inbox me your email address I can send you a fully annotated article
    File is too big to upload
    Hey,
    as I'm an external candidate would you be able to email your annotated article?
    Would really appreciate it.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.