Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Ask a Liberal - TSR Liberal Party Q&A Thread Watch

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to the TSR Liberal Party Q&A Thread.

Ask us about our policy, legislation, or just say hello!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    FIRST POST :party:

:getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    Do you see this move as a simple re-branding, or reflective of a change in your political and/or economic positioning?

I'm not going to lie, that is some sexy-ass piece of meat you have for a logo there.

ReputationRep:
    Is this done to achieve some kind of advantage? If so... what?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CLS94)
    Do you see this move as a simple re-branding, or reflective of a change in your political and/or economic positioning?
    I think it will reassert our position in the House. People were often unaware of what the Lib Dems stood for - now it's clear we are here to represent and advocate liberalism.

We're supportive of liberal economic policies, such as cutting red tape, cutting taxes and helping people with the cost of living, but we also support greater social liberalism on issues such as gay marriage and civil liberties.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    What's the main difference between you guys and the Libertarian Party?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birchington)
    I think it will reassert our position in the House. People were often unaware of what the Lib Dems stood for - now it's clear we are here to represent and advocate liberalism.

We're supportive of liberal economic policies, such as cutting red tape, cutting taxes and helping people with the cost of living, but we also support greater social liberalism on issues such as gay marriage and civil liberties.
    Thanks for the answer. Do you feel that these liberal economic ideas position your party firmly within the camp of the "Orange Bookers" of the Lib Dems, rather than the Social-Democratic side of the party?

Kinda reminds of some other party.... Not exactly sure what they are called...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I personally feel it's our support for greater social liberalism that separates us from the Libertarians, whose primary focus is often on economic issues or taxation.

I personally feel it's our support for greater social liberalism that separates us from the Libertarians, whose primary focus is often on economic issues or taxation.
    Woah woah woah..

We have advocated social liberalism in fact more than you guys. I would say that most of our legislation EG+
    the Narcotics Act, Sex Act, Euthanasia Act, Age of Suffrage Act, Male Genitalia Mutilation Act as some of our best achievements not only as a Party but for the House as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Liberals are far less extreme economically in their desire for less government would be the main thing

ReputationRep:
    Also; Woo! New sexy party name! Very happy with this move, especially the logo! They should adopt it in real life, lions beat stupid birds any day

ReputationRep:
    Would you say that given you are seemingly a soft version of the Libertarians in ideology, the party is now centre-right economically despite the fact it has in its previous incarnations taken centrist or even left-wing positions? (I'm think particularly when Dayne was leader).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    Is this done to achieve some kind of advantage? If so... what?
    Short term electoral gain. No doubt if the Liberal Democrats see a vote recovery we'd see a switch back.

(Original post by CLS94)
    Would you say that given you are seemingly a soft version of the Libertarians in ideology, the party is now centre-right economically despite the fact it has in its previous incarnations taken centrist or even left-wing positions? (I'm think particularly when Dayne was leader).
    It's not new really in my opinion. Morgsie was certainly center-right in his firm commitment to the Orange Book, despite appealing to the left TC has never really stated any leftist policies and in fact defended private education and whilst i haven't narrowed Birchington down exactly he's certainly a pragmatic guy and i look forward to better relations with the new 'Liberals' than were traditionally frosty with the Liberal Democrats (though i think we had a coalition once).

ReputationRep:
    does this mean you are no longer "Democrats"? (someone had to ask )

ReputationRep:
    Nice logo; hope you won't start acting like the Lannisters from Game of Thrones though

Will there be any policy differences after the name change; do you see this as merely rebranding or a chance to shift your place on the political spectrum?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tactical Nuclear Penguin)
    Nice logo; hope you won't start acting like the Lannisters from Game of Thrones though
    I somehow can't see the TSR Liberals becoming a den of incest, let alone them waging civil war. :lol:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    So would you describe yourselves as social liberals or classical liberals? Keynesian or Hayekian?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)
    I somehow can't see the TSR Liberals becoming a den of incest, let alone them waging civil war. :lol:
    they aren't how Fox News depicts em then? :teehee:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 6, 2015
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.