Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    As hilarious as that picture is, we're not the Lib Dems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birchington)
    I thought you would appreciate it :L

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nebelbon)
    I thought you would appreciate it :L

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It is quite funny, I'll give you that, though it looks more like the brain of a Labourite than a Liberal.

ReputationRep:
    It is quite funny, I'll give you that, though it looks more like the brain of a Labourite than a Liberal.
    I agree with you actually it does seem to be more like them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I second that!

USING THE TSR APP

ReputationRep:
    You aren't that dissimilar. Just different sides of the social democrat coin.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    It's not referring to the Lib Dems, it's actually American, as should be evident from a quick read of it. As such it is talking about liberal members of the Democratic Party.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)
    It's not referring to the Lib Dems, it's actually American, as should be evident from a quick read of it. As such it is talking about liberal members of the Democratic Party.
    I gathered that after seeing lots of other angry Republican pictures on the site.

ReputationRep:
    He must've forgot you're undemocratic now :yy:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mechie)
    He must've forgot you're undemocratic now :yy:
    You've rumbled our plans for a liberal dictatorship

ReputationRep:
    You've rumbled our plans for a liberal dictatorship
    Do what I say! If that's cool with you.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    What is the liberal position on British shale gas be it for export or as a stop-gap until renewable technology improves?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    What is the liberal position on British shale gas be it for export or as a stop-gap until renewable technology improves?
    Given that many big players in the gas industry like BP, Centrica and Shell have warned that Britain's shale gas reserves won't amount to much, and the fact that the industry still prefers to explore for and produce oil in the deep and harsh waters off the coast of Scotland and Shetland, I think it's wishful thinking to ever consider exporting it or having it as a "stop-gap".

I could never be against it on principle, though. However it is inherently more environmentally damaging and stricter regulations may be required should it ever become more than a small company drilling a few holes near Blackpool. It would be excellent for the region, too.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I'm pleased to announce that Diety has been elected as our new Deputy Leader!

He'll be filling in for me over the next few days, as I'm currently writing my dissertation.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pleased to announce that Diety has been elected as our new Deputy Leader!

He'll be filling in for me over the next few days, as I'm currently writing my dissertation.
    Congrats to Diety and good look for your dissi Birchington; what's it on?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tactical Nuclear Penguin)
    Congrats to Diety and good look for your dissi Birchington; what's it on?
    Thanks, it's on UKIP funnily enough - basically trying to assess if UKIP is just a protest vote. Really topical and interesting, but I'll be glad to finish!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    In the event the party was picking its next leader i'm curious as to whether party members would pick Gladstone or Lloyd-George.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    In the event the party was picking its next leader i'm curious as to whether party members would pick Gladstone or Lloyd-George.
    No hyphen in Lloyd George.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birkenhead)
    His personal name wasn't, but it was in the peerage title.
    Yes, indeed, because legally he was David George. To enshrine the "Lloyd" bit he had to hyphenate it. But I doubt Rakas was talking about Earl Lloyd-George of Dwyfor but rather plain old David Lloyd George; that is, the man who did stuff not the man who became a Tory stooge. More especially given he held the peerage for a matter of weeks before his death.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birkenhead)
    Earl Lloyd-George of Dwyfor and 'plain old' David Lloyd George were the same person, which makes your squabbling over the hyphen irrelevant. Both 'David Lloyd George' and 'David Lloyd-George' are correct references to the same man, just as we may refer to both 'FE Smith' and 'Birkenhead' or 'William Cecil' and 'Burghley'.
    It's irrelevant only if you have no care for history and are willing to conflate 12 weeks of one year with the rest of a person's life. Lloyd George was not Lloyd-George when he was Chancellor or Prime Minister.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 6, 2015
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.