Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birkenhead)
    It's quite logical, really: if we cannot fully trust single members without clear evidence on the principle that we don't know them IRL and so have no means of judging their true character why should other virtual personalities be trusted any more simply on the basis that there are more of them?
    Perhaps you aren't familiar enough with the members of the MHoC to make that judgement, but even if you weren't, surely you can make some judgement on the truthfulness of what members are saying based on their standing within the community? Obviously, there will be occasions where members of high standing aren't truthful, but in the numbers of people here that are saying that your suspicions are wrong including 2 ex-speakers, whose existence can be verified through reports of various meets which even site admin have attended... (You may not have known that part - I wonder if it does anything to change your mind?)

Aside from all this, what interest would anyone have in pretending that they know Adorno has a Oxford degree?

Taking the above into account, to dismiss the posts of all of these forum members seems strange.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Trust me, Birkenhead doesn't believe a thing you say, you have to prove everything.

Besides, one of my teachers is an oxford grad and she breathes and talks just like the rest of us. The only difference being is that's she's though of your argument before you've even spoke.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Well this has been a fun read.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As I said, I am not dismissing anyone; merely not taking as read what people on an internet forum are saying since I don't know anyone currently in this discussion in real life. For all I know, every one of these accounts is the product of a single, middle-aged man. An exaggeration, but should get my point across. As far as I can see, the only person so far to have claimed that they know for certain that Adorno went to Oxford is TAJ, who claims to know him. The others seem to merely believe in him by default, contrary to the logic of my suspicions.

How would having met Adorno in real life have proven to you that he went to Oxford? Surely that is just proof enough that his account on here is not the product of aforementioned middle-aged man?

As I keep saying, however, I said yesterday that Adorno was fully entitled to not prove anything. I was merely up to that point curious as to the reason for his refusal.
    Though I've also met Adorno IRL, I can't speak for T/J who may well absolute proof. But you don't have to have absolute proof of a fact to believe that it is true. So whether members on here are saying that they know he has a Oxford degree or that they believe he has an Oxford degree, their knowledge/belief must count for something right? Yes, we could be anyone; we could be lying but surely on balance you would come to a conclusion that we're probably not? I'm not saying that you have to take T/J's or anyone else's account as the gospel truth, but surely it must factor in somewhere when you're deciding what you believe to be true?

I've read your last point also, but as you were suspicious enough to ask for proof in the first place and haven't explicitly backed down or acknowledged a dissenting view, I'm not sure how it's relevant.

Oh, and I apologise for derailing this thread further with this argument, but to be honest, it isn't like anything riveting was being discussed here beforehand!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'm just going to put this out there. I don't really give a crap whether somebody goes to Oxford or not since i fact check anyway if an argument sounds iffy. It's the internet, unless they have the character of Internetguru it's not going to make a jot of difference to me.

For the record though, i do believe Adorno.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Everyone involved, take this petty and tedious argument elsewhere. This thread is for discussing Liberal Party policy, not your personal tiffs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birchington)
    Everyone involved, take this petty and tedious argument elsewhere. This thread is for discussing Liberal Party policy, not your personal tiffs.
    Aye, well said. You'd do well to reel in Tuerin as a party orator for the Liberals, it's unbecoming.

ReputationRep:
    Will people stop using the word unbecoming so readily.

On a policy note why did the Liberals ban neonicotinoids when the EU had already banned them and in the absence of contradictory measures from this house (as outlined in the Canon Amendment) that ban already stood and they in fact did not change the law? If we're going to pretend to be in the EU we should at least do it under our own rules if were going to wrongfully ignore theirs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mad Dog)
    Will people stop using the word unbecoming so readily.

On a policy note why did the Liberals ban neonicotinoids when the EU had already banned them and in the absence of contradictory measures from this house (as outlined in the Canon Amendment) that ban already stood and they in fact did not change the law? If we're going to pretend to be in the EU we should at least do it under our own rules if were going to wrongfully ignore theirs.
    Quote me if you have a problem with my use of adjectives. I am not people (plural), I am a person (singular). Get over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheese_Monster)
    Quote me if you have a problem with my use of adjectives. I am not people (plural), I am a person (singular). Get over it.
    I was referring to people generally it's the fourth time I've seen it on a forum in the last day. (2 of them on this thread) which I count as a high number for a rarer word such as unbecoming.

ReputationRep:
    What's unbecoming is your invincible tendency to make cheap, self-righteous asides at every possible opportunity just for the sake of it. Nothing of any value to say? Say nothing.
    Haha, hypocrite. Your argument with Adorno only proves that you have nothing 'of value' to say. You prefer to debate on the totally unimportant and the petty. Calling me self righteous while accusing another member of not having gone to Oxford because his style of debate is not 'intellectual' enough is laughable.

ReputationRep:
    Read the discussion you ****
    Aha, game over. I love being called four asterisks, it's an original insult.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Stop, now. Take it elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olympiad)
    I'm a liberal and I changed my name

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Then you're being a very good Liberal

ReputationRep:
    When put alongside the inexplicable decision, were it true, to engage in a heated argument several hours long and simply upload the photograph, the blind beliefs of others don't hold much weight in my evidence-hungry eyes.

Acknowledged a dissenting view? Does this mean acknowledge the possibility that he may be telling the truth? Because I've done that. I haven't 'backed down' because there's nothing to back down from; I have only been asking questions. My request for evidence is relevant insofar as it would prove that Adorno went to Oxford, something which I have cast doubt on.
    Okay. I do find your thought process on this somewhat odd, but I don't think there's any point in pursuing this specific issue further.

More broadly though, do you ever change your mind in a debate as a result of someone else's opinions/arguments and would it be worthwhile bothering to debate a Liberal bill authored by you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When put alongside the inexplicable decision, were it true, to engage in a heated argument several hours long and simply upload the photograph, the blind beliefs of others don't hold much weight in my evidence-hungry eyes.
    Why would he put his certificate up, name blanked out or not? If I was asked to show any certificate I had I certainly wouldn't do it. Nobody has to prove themselves to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazzini)
    Well this has been a fun read.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What is it about your threads, in their various guises, that makes them so popular?!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mad Dog)
    When I wrote it and when it was put to the House, it wasn't EU law.

(Original post by meenu89)
    What is it about your threads, in their various guises, that makes them so popular?!
    :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birchington)
    Stop, now. Take it elsewhere.
    How illiberal!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CLS94)
    How illiberal!
    They can take it elsewhere, just not in this thread. It's beyond tedious now.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 6, 2015
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.