Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I think Cameron, Miliband and Clegg will all go fairly quickly once we have some kind of government. The next PM will then get some headline bills through (hence lords reform and the EU referendum) and then provided the economy looks good they'll try call an election.
    I don't think Cleggy will go as quickly as one may think. After all, he is the Lib Dem's most successful leader. If he manages to get into another coalition, he'll get another term.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PetrosAC)
    I don't think Cleggy will go as quickly as one may think. After all, he is the Lib Dem's most successful leader. If he manages to get into another coalition, he'll get another term.
    I'm more talking about Clegg losing his actual MP seat.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Naa, Farron or Vince will move against him.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    I'm more talking about Clegg losing his actual MP seat.
    It would be quite funny. He seems confident he won't though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Naa, Farron or Vince will move against him.
    If Vince becomes Leader that pretty much rules out coalition with the Tories while Cameron's leader. He hates him after the whole Post Office thingy

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Alex Brooker & Nick Clegg Showdown! - The Last Leg: http://youtu.be/BLGjPuaEgyw

Thought Old Cleggy didn't too badly on The Last Leg a few weeks ago. Actually pretty funny.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    It would be quite funny. He seems confident he won't though.
    He can't really say otherwise haha

The Ashcroft poll puts labour a few points ahead - worrying for Cleggy but the number of uni students in his constituency is pretty damn high.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    He can't really say otherwise haha

The Ashcroft poll puts labour a few points ahead - worrying for Cleggy but the number of uni students in his constituency is pretty damn high.
    True :P

It must be worrying for him. My own constituency is quite tight between Libs and Labour. Our MP is Lynne Featherstone

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    True :P

It must be worrying for him. My own constituency is quite tight between Libs and Labour. Our MP is Lynne Featherstone
    'Behead Clegg' they're calling it. I'm quite interested in seeing what'd happen if Libs didn't come out too badly nationally but with Clegg himself out of the Commons.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    'Behead Clegg' they're calling it. I'm quite interested in seeing what'd happen if Libs didn't come out too badly nationally but with Clegg himself out of the Commons.
    If he didn't stand down he'd surely get VoNCed?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    If he didn't stand down he'd surely get VoNCed?
    Very probably. Back to the European Parliament and then a lordship perhaps.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Very probably. Back to the European Parliament and then a lordship perhaps.
    Most likely. He has alot to offer. He had/has the right beliefs (to my personal taste, minus one or two things) but didn't have the MP's or the backbone to enforce them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Most likely. He has alot to offer. He had/has the right beliefs (to my personal taste, minus one or two things) but didn't have the MP's or the backbone to enforce them.
    He's a reasonably decent politician but he's propping up a bad government and I'm not sure how much of it is due to him.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    If Vince becomes Leader that pretty much rules out coalition with the Tories while Cameron's leader. He hates him after the whole Post Office thingy

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There won't be coalition, it will be confidence and supply and the deal will be agreed before Cameron and Clegg go. I'm not sure Vince will win but he or Farron will call the Vonc if Clegg does not go willingly. They'll stick to the deal for lords reform and the fact their vote will increase in the second election.
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    He's a reasonably decent politician but he's propping up a bad government and I'm not sure how much of it is due to him.
    I think he got an unfair share of the flack for the tuition fees. The Tories and Labour hardly got any, even though all apart from 6 Tories and quite a few Labour MPs voted for it

Edit: No Lab MP's voted for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    I think he got an unfair share of the flack for the tuition fees. The Tories and Labour hardly got any, even though all apart from 6 Tories and quite a few Labour MPs voted for it
    ??
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    ??
    The rise in Tuition Fees

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    The rise in Tuition Fees
    Labour MPs didn't vote for that.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I blame the fixed term parliament act. The first 3 years saw plenty of liberal stuff from the coalition agreement but since that stuff was out of the way its kind of become a Tory government.

A second election in which Cameron does not win will be too much and we know Clegg will go anyway but they will be there for the negotiations.

Confidence and supply is not coalition, the Libs won't be punished for the later once Clegg goes.
    They will be if the Conservatives don't win a plurality - just as they would have been if they had supported Brown's successor five years ago. The chance for the Lib Dems was in May 2010 - allow Cameron as the winner of the most seats to become prime minister on the confidence and supply arrangement and they could've held the Tories proverbially by the short and curlies, - and had the Tories abused the arrangement probably gained seats instead of kidding themselves that 35 seats on May 8th is a good result.

The problem is that even if the Lib Dems opt for confidence and supply there is no way to make that distinguishable now - people will see it again as the Lib Dems keeping the Tories in.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 6, 2015
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.