The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
I've said it before, I'll say it again: check the specification

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-6360-W-SP-13.PDF

If it's not on the Core 4 section of that, it won't be tested. Simple as.
Reply 281
Original post by ninaowl
guys i am really confused about how to integrate this can someone help mediff.png

Arrange to this;

Unparseable latex formula:

\int \frac{1}{2y} dy = \int \frac{1}{3(x^{2}-1)} dx[br]\[br]From previous question you have the partial fractions[br]\[br][br]\Rightarrow \frac{1}{2}\ {ln(y)} = \frac{1}{3}\ \int \frac{1}{x-1}\ - \frac{1}{2(x+1)}\ dx [br][br]\Rightarrow \frac{1}{2}\ {ln(y)} = \frac{1}{6}\ ln{2(x-1)\over (x+1)} +C[br]\[br]sub in (3,1) gives C = 0[br]\[br]\Rightarrow \frac{1}{2}\ {ln(y)} = \frac{1}{6}\ ln{2(x-1)\over (x+1)}[br]\[br]Multiply through by 6[br]\[br]\Rightarrow 3{ln(y)} = ln{2(x-1)\over (x+1)} \Rightarrow \ln{y^{3}} = ln{2(x-1)\over (x+1)} [br]\[br]Take exponentials of both sides which gives[br]\[br]y^{3}= {2(x-1)\over (x+1)}[br][br]

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 282
Can somebody help me in Core 4 AQA June 09 Question 4b

So the questions about this car which reduces in value from 12499 pounds, when will it go below 5000 pounds, I got the correct answer that n=56.9, and it says during which month does it go below 5000 pounds, so I thought that's during the 56th month, but apparently that scores 0/0 and 57 is correct

I went to a teacher and he says its because in n=1 its from the first month to the next, so n=0 is at the first month, therefore n=56.9 is at the 57th month

So my problem is im scared that in the exam I wont know when to round up or down because of this example, can somebody clear this up for me please
Reply 283
You have to be careful with the wording of those questions, because sometimes they'll say "during which month" and sometimes they'll say "after how many complete months"

if they say "during which month", you have to round up to the nearest integer. 56.4, say, means that 56 full months have occured and we're in month 57.

If they say "after how many complete months", you have to round down to the nearest integer. 56.4 means that 56 full months have elapsed.
Reply 284
Also when doing partial fractions, can I let x equal a number so get one solution for say A, and if the next is a bit trickier can I compare coefficients? Or do I have to stick to on method only?
Reply 285
Original post by pheekum
Can somebody help me in Core 4 AQA June 09 Question 4b

So the questions about this car which reduces in value from 12499 pounds, when will it go below 5000 pounds, I got the correct answer that n=56.9, and it says during which month does it go below 5000 pounds, so I thought that's during the 56th month, but apparently that scores 0/0 and 57 is correct

I went to a teacher and he says its because in n=1 its from the first month to the next, so n=0 is at the first month, therefore n=56.9 is at the 57th month

So my problem is im scared that in the exam I wont know when to round up or down because of this example, can somebody clear this up for me please

When n=56.9, the value of the car EQUALS £5000. And we want to know in which month the value drops BELOW £5000. So it drops below £5000 at month 57.
Reply 286
Original post by pheekum
Also when doing partial fractions, can I let x equal a number so get one solution for say A, and if the next is a bit trickier can I compare coefficients? Or do I have to stick to on method only?

Let x equal a value to get rid of A, then another to get rid of B (and so on if you have C and D).
Then if needed, let x=0 and using your values for A and B (etc.) you can find the other letter.
For example

Unparseable latex formula:

[br]2x - 1 = A(x + 1)^{2} + B(x-1)(x-1) + C(x-1)[br]\[br]first let x = -1 to eliminate A and B, find C[br]then let x = 1 to eliminate B and C, find A[br]\[br]Sub in value for A and C and let x = 0, find B[br]

I'm an idiot lol, it wasn't an improper fraction.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 288
The identity for cos(2t) = cos^2 (t) -sin^2 (t)
=> 1-2sin^2 (t)
=> cos^2 (t) -1

whats the identity for sin(2t) ?
Reply 289
Original post by Jordn
=> 1-2sin^2 (t)
=> cos^2 (t) -1

sin(2t) = 2sintcost
Original post by Jordn
=> 1-2sin^2 (t)
=> cos^2 (t) -1

sin 2t = sin (t+t) = sintcost +sintcost = 2sintcost
Reply 291
Original post by Jordn
=> 1-2sin^2 (t)
=> cos^2 (t) -1

2sin(t)cos(t)
you know when we sometimes have to get minimum value and it's sq root 13 * cos ( blah blah) and we say min value when cos(blah blah) = 0 , but surely when cos(blah blah) = 0 the whole equations is zero and min value is 0 and not sq root 13
Hiya, I'm doing this exam too :/

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to work out how many ums I would need for a c overall (as and a2) I have a vague notion of how many I have already, I just am not sure how to work it out exactly...

thank you :smile:
Reply 294
Could someone please explain question 7 part c

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-MPC4-W-QP-JUN10.PDF

I don't understand the OC = OA + PB, and OC = OB + AP bit in the mark scheme.
:colondollar:
Reply 295
Original post by RosieBunny

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to work out how many ums I would need for a c overall (as and a2) I have a vague notion of how many I have already, I just am not sure how to work it out exactly...

hi :smile:

you'd need 360 ums in total
Reply 296
Original post by RosieBunny

Total UMS for A-Level Maths is 600. A C is 60% so multiply 600 by 0.6 and you get 360; this is the minimum total UMS you need for a C.
Reply 297
Original post by A-New-Start
you know when we sometimes have to get minimum value and it's sq root 13 * cos ( blah blah) and we say min value when cos(blah blah) = 0 , but surely when cos(blah blah) = 0 the whole equations is zero and min value is 0 and not sq root 13

no the minimum value of cos(blahblah)= -1

so minimum value of sqrt13*cos(blahblah)= -sqrt13
Original post by Hdizzle
no the minimum value of cos(blahblah)= -1

so minimum value of sqrt13*cos(blahblah)= -sqrt13

oh yeah k got it
Original post by littleangel9914
image.jpg

Is this right because in the markscheme they do it differently and so get a different value for C
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/AQA-MPC4-W-MS-JUN12.PDF

It's 8bi).

??

Latest

Trending

Trending