The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MSI_10
Am I the only one who ran out of time? Damn area triangle vector hybrid q..

Who got the constant as 240 for last q? Coordinates of d were weird like all over 17?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 240 as my constant. An a finally answer of 6.3m ish 630cm but im not to sure on that i couldn't tell if that was a stupid answer!
Reply 481
Original post by MSI_10

Who got the constant as 240 for last q? Coordinates of d were weird like all over 17?

Posted from TSR Mobile

WRONG
Reply 482
MU was -1
Reply 483
Somebody please explain to me how to solve part d in the Vectors question.. waste of 4 marks.
I got 4 as my last answer but I think I forgot to make it cm so should be 400cm but not sure if thats right :/ Did everyone use integration by parts for that one???
Original post by georgeherby
I got 240 as my constant. An a finally answer of 6.3m ish 630cm but im not to sure on that i couldn't tell if that was a stupid answer!

I got 6.3!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 486
Original post by MSI_10

Posted from TSR Mobile

Got a constant of 256 and an answer of like 30.64m, no idea whether thats right though just slapped it into my calculator.
Original post by Dhaden
Got a constant of 256 and an answer of like 30.64m, no idea whether thats right though just slapped it into my calculator.

i think you had 256 but you had to subtract 16 as the sin when to zero but the cos was 16 so C=240
Reply 488
Got some weird numbers for the coordinates of D, all over 17. Can't remember what I got for the last bit.

For the writing a differential equation what did everyone get? I put something like

1.3cos(30t)

A complete guess :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 489
Original post by Dhaden

I think I got that too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 490
Original post by dj_rubix
WRONG

lol
Reply 491
That was not at all fun.

I got full UMS on the 4 most recent past papers, and seeing as the standard grades of papers should be equal, I hope the grade boundaries are low. Maybe 63-65 for full UMS? 63 was full UMS for Jan 2013 remember.

Vectors: anyone else get D (5, 1, 2)? or something similar

I couldn't find the coordinates of E though. I got some massive quadratic involving mu, where mu was like 2.3821 and -2.5832. I kind of gave up on that one. Hope I get some method marks though for working out the area of the smaller triangle ( (sqrt1802)/2) anyone?

Differential question was deceivingly tricky. It looked almost too simple. I'm not sure. As it said write down the differential equation I assumed we did not have to do any working out for that part.

dh/dt = a.cos(kt) right?

then max. when a.cos(kt) = 1.3

when kt=0, a = 1.3

then I just guessed k = 12? As it occurs once every 12 hours.

The last question I got something like 364~ cm, give or take 5cm.

Also question 2d I found difficult, only realised after the exam you could draw triangles to find sin(beta) and cos(beta). Hoping here I get 2 marks for method though.

Overall I think I've dropped around 8-10 marks. By far my lowest mark out of all the past papers I did.
Reply 492
Original post by georgeherby
i think you had 256 but you had to subtract 16 as the sin when to zero but the cos was 16 so C=240

Fair enough, just hope i intergrated by parts correctly then.
Reply 493
Original post by AmyLH
Got some weird numbers for the coordinates of D, all over 17. Can't remember what I got for the last bit.

For the writing a differential equation what did everyone get? I put something like

1.3cos(30t)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same :smile:
Original post by AmyLH

1.3cos(30t)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got 1.3 but didn't get 30, I can't remember what I got for that but I know my answer wasn't right. Hopefully forming the equation was 1 mark and to work out the 2 contants was the other 2 marks then it means I might have only lost 1 mark in that question
Reply 495
I'm normally good at trig aswell, how do you do that one with 4x^3-11x-3=0

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 496
Peace of piss 100UMS run at me
Original post by Lay-Z

Posted from TSR Mobile

You use your first part by splitting the f(x) into 3 factors equalling 0, then replace x with sinO.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone feel like doing an unofficial markscheme?:smile:
Hope everyone did better than they thought and the grade boundaries are low!
Original post by Lay-Z

Posted from TSR Mobile

ooo I managed to do that one, you had to turn the cos2theta bit into 1-2sin^2(theta) than tou times out the brackets and subbed in x to get the answer. Then you factorised the 4x^3 bit and you got something like x=3 and x=-1/4, then you subbed sin(theta) back into the x and worked it out. I cant' remember what I got though :tongue:

Latest