The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey i had a question about C4 - when it comes to differential equations how do you decide what stuff to take to each side. I know x terms have to be to the dx side and y terms to the dy side, but what about the numbers/constants? I have seen sometimes they need to have their side changed or whole integration goes wrong?
Reply 41
Anyone sitting C3 here as well and has access to the 2013 Jan c3 paper?
Reply 42
Original post by A-New-Start
Hey i had a question about C4 - when it comes to differential equations how do you decide what stuff to take to each side. I know x terms have to be to the dx side and y terms to the dy side, but what about the numbers/constants? I have seen sometimes they need to have their side changed or whole integration goes wrong?

You should try and keep the constants on the side of the 'denominator variable'. So say you had to work out dy/dx, try and keep the constants on the side involving x's as this will allow you to work out what y= much easier.
Original post by Dhaden
Anyone sitting C3 here as well and has access to the 2013 Jan c3 paper?

I have attached the Core 3 January 2013 paper and mark scheme.
Reply 44
Original post by SherlockHolmes
I have attached the Core 3 January 2013 paper and mark scheme.

Quality, cheers mate.
Reply 45
Original post by Dhaden
Quality, cheers mate.

That paper is extremely hard. The last question is almost impossible, I kinda gave up when we did it in class.

Edit: Wait, that's the C3 paper that was linked. I was talking about the C4 paper which was extremely hard - the last part of the last question in Jan 2013
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 46
Original post by PatrickM
That paper is extremely hard. The last question is almost impossible, I kinda gave up when we did it in class.

Edit: Wait, that's the C3 paper that was linked. I was talking about the C4 paper which was extremely hard - the last part of the last question in Jan 2013

I agree, couldn't get that differential equation in the form they wanted! Hoping for a nicer paper this time!
Hey, I've got C4 on 10th June also, but I've done every paper from Jan 10 and the specimen paper twice. Yes twice. I feel like i still need to do more though, averaging a solid A in all of them. Any ideas on what i can do now? XD Only need a low C for the A but aiming for 87 UMS for the A*, still feel i need a bit more practice. Or shall i just repeat the papers I've done for a third time?
For differentials i tend to put the constant on the other side of what the question is asking for. So if it's dy/dx and the question is find in terms of y put the constant on x side, if its dx/dt and they want it in terms t put in on x side? I don't know if this is right?
Reply 49
Original post by Enginerd.
Hey, I've got C4 on 10th June also, but I've done every paper from Jan 10 and the specimen paper twice. Yes twice. I feel like i still need to do more though, averaging a solid A in all of them. Any ideas on what i can do now? XD Only need a low C for the A but aiming for 87 UMS for the A*, still feel i need a bit more practice. Or shall i just repeat the papers I've done for a third time?

What about the papers from Jan 2006 to Jun 2009? http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/mathematics/a-level/mathematics-6360/past-papers-and-mark-schemes/older-past-papers-and-mark-schemes

You could do some of the Elmwood papers which are slightly harder.
Reply 51
Do the old AQA papers. The content is identical to C3 and C4 but these papers are C3 and C4 combined. AQA are allowed to bring anything back up from core 3 so I suggest you have a look at them. I did them all and did C4 in Jan (got 98 UMS). They are also are slightly harder than the recent papers.

They are 2hrs 30mins long papers and have a max mark of 125
(edited 10 years ago)

I've done them aswell, forgot to mention it. Had a go at the June series of 07/08/09. Don't want to go below 07.

Original post by SherlockHolmes
You could do some of the Elmwood papers which are slightly harder.

Where do you get hold of these papers, also, are they similar content to the AQA specification? Never heard of them before XD

Original post by thers
Do the old AQA papers. The content is identical to C3 and C4 but these papers are C3 and C4 combined. AQA are allowed to bring anything back up from core 3 so I suggest you have a look at them. I did them all and did C4 in Jan (got 98 UMS). They are also are slightly harder than the recent papers.

They are 2hrs 30mins long papers and have a max mark of 125

Will do thanks for the help!

Where do you get hold of these papers, also, are they similar content to the AQA specification? Never heard of them before XD

They are old papers which were made for AQA.

I have attached the first 3 papers and mark scheme.
Reply 54
Is it me or are all the AQA maths papers getting harder as time goes on?
Reply 55
Original post by Dhaden

They are
Original post by Dhaden

January 2011:

100% - 75
A* - 68
A - 61

June 2011:

100% - 65
A* - 58
A - 51

January 2012:

100% - 69
A* - 63
A - 57

June 2012:

100% - 65
A* - 59
A - 53

January 2013:

100% - 63
A* - 58
A - 53

I wouldn't be surprised if they gave us a paper where dropping 15 marks yields 100 UMS.
I have a question! when we are using sin inverse , cos inverse or tan inverse on numbers such a some number/sq. root of some number. then do we use inverse on + and - of the some number/sq. root of some number or only the + value?
Reply 58
I have a question! when we are using sin inverse , cos inverse or tan inverse on numbers such a some number/sq. root of some number. then do we use inverse on + and - of the some number/sq. root of some number or only the + value?

I assume you'd use both as both are valid solutions, as long as they are within the specified range i.e 0<x<360.
Reply 59

Just remember wherever you see a square root in an A2 maths module, you have to know there are two solutions. However sometimes it would be inappropriate to have a negative solution (like a time value) in which case you'd just discard it. But in answer to your question the answer is yes, as long as your final solutions are within the specified range!

Latest

Trending

Trending