Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I basically moved to England at the beginning of Year 11, which meant that I had less than one year to accomplish my GCSEs. Despite this situation, my stupid school almost forced me to do 10 GCSEs. As a result, my grades are not that great: 2A*, 6A and 2B. I'm just wondering if it would be better for me to apply to Cambridge with Extenuating Circumstances form explaining this situation?

Anyone who is interested in Extenuating Circumstances form is welcome to this discussion!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ljh950912)
    I basically came to England at the beginning of Year 11, which means that I had less than one year to accomplish my GCSEs. Despite the situation, my stupid school almost forced me to do 10 GCSEs. As a result, my grades are not that great: 2A*, 6A and 2B. I'm just wondering if it would be better for me to apply to Cambridge with Extenuating Circumstances form explaining my this situation?

Anyone who is interested in Extenuating Circumstances form is welcome to this discussion!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your grades are fine honestly, have you looked at Cambridge's policy on GCSEs? they honestly don't care as long as you have passes and the required progression at alevel.

Edit: obvious neg from butthurt A* gcse student

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    Your grades are fine honestly, have you looked at Cambridge's policy on GCSEs? they honestly don't care as long as you have passes and the required progression at alevel.
    Yeah, true dat

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I basically came to England at the beginning of Year 11, which means that I had less than one year to accomplish my GCSEs. Despite the situation, my stupid school almost forced me to do 10 GCSEs. As a result, my grades are not that great: 2A*, 6A and 2B. I'm just wondering if it would be better for me to apply to Cambridge with Extenuating Circumstances form explaining my this situation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It is not strictly true that Cambridge never look at GCSEs. For some subjects such as Law, Medicine they can be relevant. NatSci they would be ignored. I would make sure the fact that you did GCSEs in a year was mentioned either on SAQ or reference but you can use ECF-it is meant for "significant disruption to education" and only half a GCSE course must count. It is not only for AS level grades.

(And no I didn't neg Robbie- what he says is true for most courses.)

ReputationRep:
    Extenuating Circumstances is usually for extreme things that can severely affect your performance like a family member dying or suffering from your own illness (mental/physical)

I'm not sure that you could be eligible but you can mention it in your application

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellieHA)
    Extenuating Circumstances is usually for extreme things that can severely affect your performance like a family member dying or suffering from your own illness (mental/physical)

I'm not sure that you could be eligible but you can mention it in your application
    Extenuating Circumstances Form http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/ecf.html

The Extenuating Circumstances Form has been designed to ensure that the Cambridge Colleges have the information they require in order accurately to assess any applicant who has experienced particular personal or educational disadvantage.

This form should only be used where an applicant's education has been significantly disrupted or disadvantaged through health or personal problems, disability or difficulties with schooling.

The information provided on the form will help Admissions Tutors by giving a context against which they can judge the academic record of an applicant their performance at interview (if interviewed).

The sort of circumstances it would be appropriate to inform us of via this form include:

serious disruption to educational provision at school/college

other circumstances where serious disruption has occurred

the school/college is welcome to contact a College admissions office to discuss an applicant's particular circumstances. The Extenuating Circumstances Form should normally be completed and submitted by the applicant's school/college by the 15 October application deadline. In those rare cases where the applicant's school/college is unaware of the circumstances a doctor or social worker may complete and validate the form on the applicant's behalf.

I suggest you ask an admissions tutor. However you will still need to obtain very good UMS at AS so as to reassure a tutor who may have doubts. Did you also have to learn English-in which case your results look better than if you came from a country with a not dissimilar education system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colmans)
    Extenuating Circumstances Form http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/ecf.html

The Extenuating Circumstances Form has been designed to ensure that the Cambridge Colleges have the information they require in order accurately to assess any applicant who has experienced particular personal or educational disadvantage.

This form should only be used where an applicant's education has been significantly disrupted or disadvantaged through health or personal problems, disability or difficulties with schooling.

The information provided on the form will help Admissions Tutors by giving a context against which they can judge the academic record of an applicant their performance at interview (if interviewed).

The sort of circumstances it would be appropriate to inform us of via this form include:

serious disruption to educational provision at school/college

other circumstances where serious disruption has occurred

the school/college is welcome to contact a College admissions office to discuss an applicant's particular circumstances. The Extenuating Circumstances Form should normally be completed and submitted by the applicant's school/college by the 15 October application deadline. In those rare cases where the applicant's school/college is unaware of the circumstances a doctor or social worker may complete and validate the form on the applicant's behalf.

I suggest you ask an admissions tutor. However you will still need to obtain very good UMS at AS so as to reassure a tutor who may have doubts. Did you also have to learn English-in which case your results look better than if you came from a country with a not dissimilar education system.
    Well as I'm applying as an international student, this can explain about my english and education issues

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you know how i can contact a admissions tutor?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do you know how i can contact a admissions tutor?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Most of the colleges publish the email address of their admissions tutor on the college website. It would be better if your school approached them nearer the time.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.