The Student Room Group

Whatever happened to ... Cup Final Songs!?

In a couple of months the FA Cup Final is scheduled to be played at Wembley, and it got me thinking. Those of you lucky enough to have grown up in the 90s (like myself) or before will no doubt remember the phenomenon of the "cup single". For me these were always an important part of cup final weekend, going to your nearest record shop and picking up the latest casette [vinyl for the even older folks] and playing them over and over.

For those who don't remember basically the craze started some time during the 1970s. Teams who reached the final of the FA Cup would record a song with the playing squad singing football-related lyrics. Most of these records were terrible but in a cheesy "so bad its good" kind of way, and hold great nostalgia value now. I've never figured out why they stopped doing them, it seems like a shame to let the trend die.

What was your favourite cup song as a kid? Share any memories you have here! Meanwhile here's some classic examples:

Manchester United & Status Quo - Come on you Reds (1994)

Chelsea FC - Blue Is The Colour (1972)

Tottenham Hotspur with Chas & Dave - Ossie's Dream (1981)
Reply 1
Original post by IanDangerously
In a couple of months the FA Cup Final is scheduled to be played at Wembley, and it got me thinking. Those of you lucky enough to have grown up in the 90s (like myself) or before will no doubt remember the phenomenon of the "cup single". For me these were always an important part of cup final weekend, going to your nearest record shop and picking up the latest casette [vinyl for the even older folks] and playing them over and over.

For those who don't remember basically the craze started some time during the 1970s. Teams who reached the final of the FA Cup would record a song with the playing squad singing football-related lyrics. Most of these records were terrible but in a cheesy "so bad its good" kind of way, and hold great nostalgia value now. I've never figured out why they stopped doing them, it seems like a shame to let the trend die.

What was your favourite cup song as a kid? Share any memories you have here! Meanwhile here's some classic examples:

Manchester United & Status Quo - Come on you Reds (1994)

Chelsea FC - Blue Is The Colour (1972)

Tottenham Hotspur with Chas & Dave - Ossie's Dream (1981)

Cup final days are dead now.

Money and Sky have totally killed it off. Only thing that matters to clubs is top 4 and CL.

Shame really, Cup final days were the most anticipated event in football calendar. Now we have PL games played on the same day as the cup final :frown:
Reply 2
Frimpong could do a cup-final day rap if Arsenal got to it...
Ohhhhh we're hot shot Tottenham we are the super Spurs
Everybody knows we're the football conoisseurs
Seven times we've won the cup and number eight is coming
'cause we're hot shot Tottenham!

1987. Shame we lost.
Original post by BFC
Cup final days are dead now.

Money and Sky have totally killed it off. Only thing that matters to clubs is top 4 and CL.

Shame really, Cup final days were the most anticipated event in football calendar. Now we have PL games played on the same day as the cup final :frown:

It certainly doesn't have the special feeling it used to, it's a shame really. Holding the semis at Wembley has helped to kill it off, and the fact its usually the big teams in there by the end. Everyone talks about the magic of the FA Cup and upsets and stuff but you know come May it'll be two PL teams in the final. It's just an extension of the Premiership bubble.

Original post by rockrunride
Ohhhhh we're hot shot Tottenham we are the super Spurs
Everybody knows we're the football conoisseurs
Seven times we've won the cup and number eight is coming
'cause we're hot shot Tottenham!

1987. Shame we lost.

Ah yes, that's the main downside of cup final songs ... when you have your players sing that they're going to win and then end up losing. At least it can be recycled as a terrace chant for subsequent cup runs. :smile:

Original post by Zürich
Frimpong could do a cup-final day rap if Arsenal got to it...

Arsenal in the FA Cup final would be a nice bit of retro nostalgia in itself at this point.

Not that our luck in that cup has been any better in the last decade. Oh well.
Reply 5
Original post by IanDangerously

Arsenal in the FA Cup final would be a nice bit of retro nostalgia in itself at this point.

Not that our luck in that cup has been any better in the last decade. Oh well.

Hang about, we've been won it more recently than you have...

Quick Reply

Latest