Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I am incredibly desperate to get into Plymouth to study Media Arts in September. I have the offer which I received back in December; 280 points (BBC). However, I think I will really struggle to meet that; 260 is incredibly possible, but I think one grade higher is pushing it a little and I'm really quite scared that I will miss it by one grade.

Anyway, I know some universities are happy to accept people that get one grade below if the course isn't full, or if they get an amazing grade in that particular subject etc. Although I'm not counting on this and trying really hard for my BBC, I would really like to make this possibility more accessible, just in case.

So, anyone - do you think it's worth writing to/emailing Plymouth? Not to beg, not to bargain the offer... just to show off what I can do. I am a great media student and I know it, but I'm not so great at my other subjects. For example, I am aiming for a top A in my media coursework at the moment - is it worth writing to the tutor perhaps to show off my skill with my coursework as evidence, meanwhile complimenting the university?

Like I said, I'm incredibly desperate to go to Plymouth.

Any help appreciated.

P.S. please take uni choice into account... I'm not talking a top/impossible to get to uni here, but they are quite credited for their media areas.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't write to them or do anything at all. A part of the admissions process is being able to show that you're a mature person who can handle success and failure, not a childish one who tries to show off to tutors for bonus points. Play it by the book; you'll have a better chance of getting in.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    No, don't do that. Your personal statement was the chance to show them how amazing you are, and your reference should have backed that up.

Sent from my GT-S5363

ReputationRep:
    I had a feeling I'd get this reaction but it was worth asking. Thanks anyway guys.

I was thinking that I'd come across mature if I steered away from both begging and being big-headed. I guess they'd manage to identify it as one or the other though.

I'll just have to try and get my grades... wish me luck D:

ReputationRep:
    Dont email, u should be fine.

My boyfriend who does mechanical engineering needed BCC, ended up getting ccc and got in

They also said on the open day for psychology that theyll accept some firmers if they miss the grade by one or two grades

I know those arent media bt they both have similar views on the grade requirements!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megfashion)
    Dont email, u should be fine.

My boyfriend who does mechanical engineering needed BCC, ended up getting ccc and got in

They also said on the open day for psychology that theyll accept some firmers if they miss the grade by one or two grades

I know those arent media bt they both have similar views on the grade requirements!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    funny enough my own boyfriend does civil engineering, he missed his own offer by 20 points but got in anyway. Probably aided by his A in maths.

thanks for the reply

ReputationRep:
    With any luck you'll miss the grades, not get in and save yourself £50,000's worth of debt for a **** degree that's not worth the paper it's written on.

I mean seriously? 'Media Arts'? Wow. Everybody's thinking it... I'm just saying it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuttyclorox)
    funny enough my own boyfriend does civil engineering, he missed his own offer by 20 points but got in anyway. Probably aided by his A in maths.

thanks for the reply
    Ah cool yer ive heard of that degree... He wanted either mechanical, electrical or chemical or something haha (i cant really remember its way outside my knowledge!)

N media arts looks really fun there - my bf's flatmate is in the third year of it and im jealous of how much fun he has!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rybee)
    With any luck you'll miss the grades, not get in and save yourself £50,000's worth of debt for a **** degree that's not worth the paper it's written on.

I mean seriously? 'Media Arts'? Wow. Everybody's thinking it... I'm just saying it.
    aw, you little charming human being, you.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    There is no harm in contacting them to *ask* what their usual policy is in August if people miss the grades. Explain that you're hoping to get BBC but that you're worried you might slip a grade and are very keen to go to Plymouth.

They might be willing to reassure you - especially if they take grades in media into account among the people who miss their offer (so if you get BCC with a B in media and an A in your coursework module but someone else gets BCC with a C in media then they MIGHT choose you over them) only they can comment on their admissions criteria though.

Don't offer to send them work or get too gushy over the course though - just see if they're able to reassure you at all....and if they can't then work your arse off to get BBC!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Also if it helps they took around 10 people in 2009/10 with lower than BBC (and without any AS/key skills): http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjec.../10007801-0662

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Also if it helps they took around 10 people in 2009/10 with lower than BBC (and without any AS/key skills): http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/subjec.../10007801-0662
    this was really helpful! Thank you!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.