Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Falkanders vote overwhelmingly to stay British Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    True about the RAF base though I think that the RAF is the only way to get there from mainland UK. I think.
    Basically what he said is *******s anyway and it's a poor argument.
    There's a charter flight every week, though it leaves from Brize Norton (which has a 'civilian' departures/arrival terminal]. And of course, you could sail...

...though I wouldn't fancy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    There's a charter flight every week, though it leaves from Brize Norton (which has a 'civilian' departures/arrival terminal]. And of course, you could sail...

...though I wouldn't fancy it.
    I didn't know Brize Norton has a civilian departures area. Interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Kinda. Sorta. It handles the departures and arrivals for all the troops going overseas, so is predominantly military orientated, but it at least used to be the case that people could buy seats for the weekly Falklands' flights and they'd go from there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    When you say took it back. Do you mean in 1982 after they invaded it?
    Yeah that's what I mean.

My current understanding of it is that it was British territory before the argentines invaded it, followed by a British invasion which took the island back.

If the islanders wanted to remain British in the first place, and didn't want the Argentines there to begin with, then that's why I think they would have voted overwhelmingly to stay with Britain. If that's what I'm being negged for I've no idea why... -_-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chindits)
    It's funny when Brits (especially the lefties) fly the union jack when talking about Northern Ireland or Falklands, but won't entertain the idea that they're massive hypocrites.
    That's because we aren't hypocrites. The Falklands were uninhabited and unowned when discovered by Europeans. Argentina is the one being a massive hypocrite for dismissing our claim for being imperialist and colonialist when their claim is based on the exact same two principles. Why is our settler population there somehow bad and wrong, when all Argentina is going to do is send their own colonists there? Don't even get me started on their supposed early 19th century colony. Frankly there is absolutely no logical reason to support Argentina over the UK in this dispute.

ReputationRep:
    We get some big, lumbering, old-looking passenger jets flying very slowly over Oxford, from time to time, making a lot of noise. Something to do with it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    1. Argentina has never owned the Falklands.
    Actually, this is disputed by the Argentinians. They claim it was part of the Spanish Empire and so became part of Argentina upon Argentine independence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    Actually, this is disputed by the Argentinians. They claim it was part of the Spanish Empire and so became part of Argentina upon Argentine independence.
    Except the Spanish were so un-bothered about it that a British settlement was started there before Argentina gained their independence.

ReputationRep:
    Spain was, at best, the third country to have actual de facto control and administration over the islands, their settlement conflicts with a period of British control and it ended long before Argentina even became independent, so Argentina can suck it.

ReputationRep:
    I think we should invade Argentina and colonise South America. That'd be a laugh.

ReputationRep:
    A claim which is wholly unjustified.

ReputationRep:
    At one point it was ruled by the Spanish Empire, but it was not at the time of Argentine independence. The Spanish claim that Argentina inherited was not therefore based upon de facto control, but instead upon the fact that Spain had never formally relinquished sovereignty - exactly the same as the British claim.

Since we're on even footing there, the debate must be settled by other arguments such as first discovery, longest period of de facto control, wishes of the islanders and others - all of which are in Britain's favour.

ReputationRep:
    They also claim that Britain's control of the Falklands is an example of colonialism which they are very much against. Unfortunately that argument and opposition to colonialism flies in the face of how a Spanish-speaking population came to control that part of the South American mainland that is now called Argentina.

ReputationRep:
    Having seen footage of their celebrations with Union flags, pictures of The Queen and "Land Of Hope And Glory", I'm must have missed the usual outrage from elements of the left that the Falklanders are nothing more than overtly racist, imperialistic Little Englanders. How dare they display such rampant neo-Nazi symbolism and sing offensive, colonial songs, as happens when English people engage in the same. :rolleyes:

At least we can add 2,900 Falklanders to the 8 million Scots and Welsh to the list of Great Britons who have the right to determine their own future, hold a referendum on their constitution, fly their flag with pride and be proud of their culture without being abused for it.

Which only leaves 53m more people waiting for the same rights.

ReputationRep:
    I love a bit of Argie bargie.

In all seriousness, this vote confirms what we all know to be true. Sadly, the Argentine government and its deranged, clay-faced Presidente are hell-bent on throwing around false accusations of colonialism. It's a shame that de Kirchner has stooped to the extremely racist level of arguing that the Falklanders don't deserve a say because they are a "non-native population" (here's a hint you belligerent pain in the culo - there is no native population, especially not an Argentine one) is ironic considering her status as a German-Spanish descendent of a coloniser.

ReputationRep:
    There's no bloody oil there. If there were, all the Bennies would be scooting about in Learjets and buying football clubs, instead of shearing sheep in the freezing cold and eating penguins; and instead of having a bloody recession, the we'd all be riding high on the crest of a oil-fuelled wave.

ReputationRep:
    Political points scoring by Kirchner, that's the only real reason why the Islands are an issue.

Nonetheless, democracy has had it's say, and prevailed. This has resulted in the Argentine position being severely weakened in the eyes of the international community.

It is however, worrying to see our 'ally' across the Atlantic refuse to take sides even after the referendum:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ni...mean-spirited/

(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    We get some big, lumbering, old-looking passenger jets flying very slowly over Oxford, from time to time, making a lot of noise. Something to do with it?
    Is their not a military base in around Oxford?

Do the Argentinians really want the islands, or is it just something their government has to say? And if they do, how do they plan on getting them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Probably not. It's a charterd flight. They're probably VC10s. Due to go soon though as they're ancient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cannotbelieveit)
    Political points scoring by Kirchner, that's the only real reason why the Islands are an issue.

Nonetheless, democracy has had it's say, and prevailed. This has resulted in the Argentine position being severely weakened in the eyes of the international community.

It is however, worrying to see our 'ally' across the Atlantic refuse to take sides even after the referendum:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ni...mean-spirited/
    Our ally is playing politics. It's staying neutral. It's best that way as they're trying to woo south America.

Anyway. This may be of interest to some people.

http://www.britishempire.co.uk/mapro...ingitright.pdf

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 14, 2013
Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.