Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Does a singular noun ending in 's' have a possessive ending in s's or simply s'? E. g. Thomas' cat or Thomas's cat? Might sound like a stupid question but I want to know because I'm writing my dissertation on Tacitus and Suetonius, and I don't want to be making an embarrassing mistake every time I write "Suetonius' writing style" or something I've searched the internet for ages, but every website seems to be saying something different so I'm really confused now!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure but I believe either is acceptable. I'd go with the former though.

ReputationRep:
    s'

(1) name+'s <possession>

(2) names+' <possession>

(1) a name that doesn't have 's'. (2) a name that has 's'.
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    s'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForgettingWhatsername)
    Does a singular noun ending in 's' have a possessive ending in s's or simply s'? E. g. Thomas' cat or Thomas's cat? Might sound like a stupid question but I want to know because I'm writing my dissertation on Tacitus and Suetonius, and I don't want to be making an embarrassing mistake every time I write "Suetonius' writing style" or something I've searched the internet for ages, but every website seems to be saying something different so I'm really confused now!
    If someones name ends in an 's' and you want to show that they have possession then you would place the apostrophe after the s on their name, because their is virtually no point in writing another 's.'

However, if you have a name that doesn't end in 's' then you would need to have an 's' after the apostrophe.

For example:

James' ball <-- You put the apostrophe after the s, because his name ends in 's'

Micheal's ball <-- You have to use the 's rule because his name doesn't end with an s.

This doesn't just work with names, but I just used names as an example.

I hope that helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oops, my name is Thomas and I've been using "Thomas's" for years! So have all my teachers on reports and the like!

ReputationRep:
    Either is fine, but s' is more common in American English and s's is more common in English English.

ReputationRep:
    It just looks more right to use the s' with Latin names like that.

I believe if it is a word/name ending in s, you add 's. For example, "Lewis's barbecue".
    However, if it is a plural, you add only '. For example, "Footballers' wages are over the top" or "Feminists' goal is equal rights."

I've checked this before and this is the answer I've got. However, I'm not 100% as no one else I know does this.

ReputationRep:
    Which one is correct:
    "However, the selection and avoidance is important..."

"However, the selection and avoidance are important..."

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.