Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by University of Derby)
    Hi Oldiebutgoodie,

Unfortunately there aren't any available because of how many different modules are available. If you would like some more information about the modules you will be studying, PM me and I will try my best to get this information to you.

Hope this helps,

Stacey
    Thanks Stacey
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm now here to answer any questions your may have for this week's live Q&A session! I'm here from 4 - 7 every Friday.

Stacey

ReputationRep:
    Hi Stacey,

I have a few questions...

I was wondering how much parking costs at the Uni? I parked in the car park directly outside the building on my interview day. As I will be commuting by car, will this parking be available for me while I am a student? If so how much is it per day/month/year?

You say that the University can help provide part time work. Is this readily available or is there a huge waiting list?

Is the gym open early mornings before lectures begin?

Do you get penalised on a course if you can't make it in some days?

Is that vicar lady off the TV working in the chapel there?

Thank you so much for your help !! xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HereIam123)
    Hi Stacey,

I have a few questions...

I was wondering how much parking costs at the Uni? I parked in the car park directly outside the building on my interview day. As I will be commuting by car, will this parking be available for me while I am a student? If so how much is it per day/month/year?

You say that the University can help provide part time work. Is this readily available or is there a huge waiting list?

Is the gym open early mornings before lectures begin?

Do you get penalised on a course if you can't make it in some days?

Is that vicar lady off the TV working in the chapel there?

Thank you so much for your help !! xx

Hi,

1) You have to apply for parking permits. Chances are that you won't be able to get a permit for the Kedleston Road campus because parking is limited, however if you have a specific need to park there, you can apply. Most students use the park and ride at Markeaton Park. You can find out more information about parking on this website: http://www.derby.ac.uk/travelandtran...nt-car-parking. Prices are still to be confirmed for the coming year.

2) You register with the student employment agency, who then email work out to everyone that is registered. This varies from temporary one-day jobs to longer-term and permanent jobs. One day jobs tend to be first come-first served, but other jobs require you to send in your CV and covering letter.

3) You can find the gym opening hours on this website: http://www.teamderbyfitness.com/. The gym opens at 7am on weekdays.

4) You don't really get penalised on a day to day basis, because you're paying to be there. You may get kicked off the module if you miss several lectures because after you have missed so many it becomes near impossible to pass the module. You also must ensure that you don't miss any key lectures with assessments/practicals etc.

5) I don't know who you're talking about i'm afraid. Feel free to get in touch with them at 01332 591285, they should be able to answer your questions.

Hope this helps!

Stacey

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm here and ready to answer your questions for this week's live Q&A!

Stacey

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm here and ready to answer your questions for this week's live Q&A!

Stacey
    Hi Stacey, Do you know how long the timetabling session is for Access?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I don't quite get what you mean. Do you mean how long are the classes?

Stacey

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I don't quite get what you mean. Do you mean how long are the classes?

Stacey
    I have a timetabling session on 1st August, i think its to sort out my classes. I wondered how long that usually takes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oldiebutgoodie)
    I have a timetabling session on 1st August, i think its to sort out my classes. I wondered how long that usually takes.
    20 minutes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simplylldxo)
    20 minutes

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks simplylldxo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oldiebutgoodie)
    Hi,

The timetabling session itself doesn't take too long, but try not too book anything else on that day, just in case they have something else planned or it takes longer than usual. You may have to wait around before being seen if there are other students as well.

Stacey

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

The timetabling session itself doesn't take too long, but try not too book anything else on that day, just in case they have something else planned or it takes longer than usual. You may have to wait around before being seen if there are other students as well.

Stacey
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Helloooo, I was just wondering if you could clarify something for me. I am a UK student starting a Joint Honours in September, do I start the same time as UK students doing a regular degree or do I have an earlier start date?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyndsey1405)
    Helloooo, I was just wondering if you could clarify something for me. I am a UK student starting a Joint Honours in September, do I start the same time as UK students doing a regular degree or do I have an earlier start date?
    Hi Lyndsey,

You should be starting at the same time as the rest of our undergraduate students. We will be sending you your induction and enrollment dates soon, so keep an eye out!

Stacey

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm looking at doing Early Childhood Studies. If I was to do it part time how many days per week would I attend uni and how many days placement would I do?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Ive got a few things to ask;

1) I know you may not know the start dates for 2014 but do you know roughly when they will be?
    I will be in Aisa/Australia and dont want to miss enrollment etc.

2) How much work exp is needed for Adult Nursing. I will be applying for 2014 entry and have nothing to help my application.
    My work ex is in dentistry so not relevant for Adult Nursing.

I am trying to get volunteer work with SJA however they are taking a while to reply.

Do you want community nursing, care/nursing homes/ hospital work / gp work ?

3) Im pretty sure I read that the NHS bursary was paid monthly to you rather than in one big lump sum.
    If this is true how would that effect paying accomodation fees on time as you would not get a large lump sum like from SF.

4) Do you participate in any low income/ national bursary schemes for low income/ single parent families?

5) What age do you class "mature" students as? I think I have read it is 21 but this has to be before the start date. I shall be 21 in november.

Thats all I can think of for now

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lynetteb35)
    Hi

I'm looking at doing Early Childhood Studies. If I was to do it part time how many days per week would I attend uni and how many days placement would I do?

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi Lynette,

I'm not too sure, to be honest. If you would like to PM me your email address, I can check up on this and have someone get back to you.

I wouldn't expect you to be in university more than one/one and a half days a week with maybe an additional day as placement, but don't take this as gospel!

If you would like me to get the 100% confirmation of this, please PM me and i'll follow up on this.

Stacey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parry_93)
    Hi

Ive got a few things to ask;

1) I know you may not know the start dates for 2014 but do you know roughly when they will be?
    I will be in Aisa/Australia and dont want to miss enrollment etc.

2) How much work exp is needed for Adult Nursing. I will be applying for 2014 entry and have nothing to help my application.
    My work ex is in dentistry so not relevant for Adult Nursing.

I am trying to get volunteer work with SJA however they are taking a while to reply.

Do you want community nursing, care/nursing homes/ hospital work / gp work ?

3) Im pretty sure I read that the NHS bursary was paid monthly to you rather than in one big lump sum.
    If this is true how would that effect paying accomodation fees on time as you would not get a large lump sum like from SF.

4) Do you participate in any low income/ national bursary schemes for low income/ single parent families?

5) What age do you class "mature" students as? I think I have read it is 21 but this has to be before the start date. I shall be 21 in november.

Thats all I can think of for now

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi Parry,

If you're going to be coming from abroad, I would probably aim to be here by the beginning of the second or third week of September at the latest. This is when Fresher's fortnight is and when you will be moving in to halls of residence.

Work experience is very important as it is a highly demanded course. Any work experience will do, so please mention that you have dentistry experience. Some other more appropriate experience would be very helpful, but it doesn't have to be too specific. Any of the options that you have stated would be good, as we are looking for you to draw on the skills that you gained that can be transferred over. Obviously, the more relevant the better though.

Accommodation fees can be paid monthly, as well as termly. Once you have arrived you can arrange to see an adviser from our finance department who can help you set this payment service up.

The only scholarship that we offer is through the National Scholarship Programme. You can find out if you may be eligible by looking at this website: http://www.derby.ac.uk/national-scholarship-programme

Mature students are generally classed as students who are over the age of 21 when they start their course. May I ask why you would like to know this, as I may be able to give more information. The age can vary depending on who/what you need it for.

I hope this has helped, please let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you.

Stacey

ReputationRep:
    Hi Parry,

If you're going to be coming from abroad, I would probably aim to be here by the beginning of the second or third week of September at the latest. This is when Fresher's fortnight is and when you will be moving in to halls of residence.

Work experience is very important as it is a highly demanded course. Any work experience will do, so please mention that you have dentistry experience. Some other more appropriate experience would be very helpful, but it doesn't have to be too specific. Any of the options that you have stated would be good, as we are looking for you to draw on the skills that you gained that can be transferred over. Obviously, the more relevant the better though.

Accommodation fees can be paid monthly, as well as termly. Once you have arrived you can arrange to see an adviser from our finance department who can help you set this payment service up.

The only scholarship that we offer is through the National Scholarship Programme. You can find out if you may be eligible by looking at this website: http://www.derby.ac.uk/national-scholarship-programme

Mature students are generally classed as students who are over the age of 21 when they start their course. May I ask why you would like to know this, as I may be able to give more information. The age can vary depending on who/what you need it for.

I hope this has helped, please let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you.

Stacey
    Ah okay thank you!

At least that gives me a rough idea of when I need to come back to England.

Because I will be 21 but not until november 2014 (first year of course) so I wouldnt be classed as one until second year?

Thanks for the info on NSP IIRC my brother gets it too when hes at uni so I should still be eligable by the time I apply.

Oh at Kedelston Road campus is it free parking / no permit needed after 4.30pm ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by parry_93)
    Ah okay thank you!

At least that gives me a rough idea of when I need to come back to England.

Because I will be 21 but not until november 2014 (first year of course) so I wouldnt be classed as one until second year?

Thanks for the info on NSP IIRC my brother gets it too when hes at uni so I should still be eligable by the time I apply.

Oh at Kedelston Road campus is it free parking / no permit needed after 4.30pm ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi,

You won't be classified as a mature student by the university, as you have to be over 21 when STARTING the course. If you start another course after completing this one then you will be classfied as a mature student for that course, but for the purposes of the course you have currently applied for, for the duration of the course you will not be classified as a mature student.

You are indeed correct, after 4.30pm you don't need to pay or have a permit to park at Kedleston Road, however you aren't guaranteed a parking space.

Hope this helps,

Stacey

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 2, 2017
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.