Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Time 4 Money - Any kind hearted people out there willing to help a good cause? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Are we really in a world today where less than 5% of the 1st world population actually care about helping people in a less fortunate place than ourselves?

It´s sad but quite possible true.

Here is an interesting question to ask yourself that I was also recently faced with:

Would you call a standard rate telephone number and listen to a special offer that would last no longer than 3 minutes with no obligation to buy anything at all - If you knew that £4 would be donated to charity.

I said no initially, but wanted to find out more about if this was actually true, legal, and genuine.

After a lot of reading, I am happy to say that I am now actually part of a project that donates serious money to charity for providing leads to partner businesses.

I am paid to advertise offers and services, in the exact same way all advertisments work, and then receive a commission for each qualifying call the company recieves (at least 2.5 minutes long and from the UK)

My project then donates a significant part of this commission (£4 per call) to various charities.

All people need to do is call the London based company, listen to their offers and services for a minimum of 2.5 minutes and decide if they are interested or not. If yes, great - get more info. If not - no worries, tell them and hang up.

Either way you just donated £4 to charity for less than 3 minutes and the cost of a local call.

I am trying to get people interested and involved in this project and want to hear from you.

So, back to my original question - Are you beyond taking 2.5 minutes and a few pence out of your day to help make a real difference?

Please - ask questions and give your feedback... I want this to be big!

Carl

ReputationRep:
    Ok firstly,

What is this premium rate number going to cost me?

Secondly, how do we know that any of said money is going to charity?

Thirdly, donations are not as simple as people think. In some structures that £4 could actually translate to a few pennys being spent where its needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :))
    Ok firstly,

What is this premium rate number going to cost me?

Secondly, how do we know that any of said money is going to charity?

Thirdly, donations are not as simple as people think. In some structures that £4 could actually translate to a few pennys being spent where its needed.

Hi – and thank you for your feedback – this is EXACTLY what I need to enable me to promote this and to answer all concerns.

First of all – the Number. It is standard rate and so it is the normal cost of a call to London (the dialling code is 020) – I have checked the BT website and the cost is as follows, from a landline.

Daytime (7am-7pm) Mon to Fri – 8.41p/ min
    Evening (7pm-7am) Mon to Fri – 1.11p/min

I am also negotiating for the companies to provide me with an 0800 number for callers. This is not currently available though.

Secondly – I am going to provide full and transparent reports that show the number of calls, commissions paid and the amount being sent to charity each month.

Thirdly – This is not a complex business with overheads, marketing costs, staffing or any other costs. It is simply me, at the computer, trying to do my bit. I donate £4, nothing less for each call. Any tax or other associated costs are taken care of outside of this £4.

Please, more questions! This is useful to both of us!

Thank you

Carl

ReputationRep:
    If that is true about the number then excellent.

As for the other things, well even assuming that this is all true, and not dodgy like it sounds, do you really expect advertisers to give you enough money to run this?

If your donating £4 to charity. + lets say conservitavly £1 extra for expenses, thats £5 an AD. A company can pay someone twice that to make a hundred calls from a callcenter, or just use that money in a better way.
    What companys have shown an intrest?

ReputationRep:
    The companies I am currently affiliated with are Jetline Cruises, Directline Holidays and Charwin Private Clients.

All of which have approved me to advertise for them and provided me with a unique call number. This type of marketing employed by these companies is called Pay-per-call. The reason that companies are willing to pay such high commissions is that I am driving targeted traffic towards them. They want people who are potentially going to book a holiday or are interested in travelling.

This is more effective for them than paying someone to make 200 cold calls - lets face it, cold calling is hard, and becoming increasingly ineffective in todays world.

They are paying well above £5 per call because in most circumstances the person calls with a genuines interest and so is more likely to convert to a customers.

ReputationRep:
    The companies I am currently affiliated with are Jetline Cruises, Directline Holidays and Charwin Private Clients.

All of which have approved me to advertise for them and provided me with a unique call number. This type of marketing employed by these companies is called Pay-per-call. The reason that companies are willing to pay such high commissions is that I am driving targeted traffic towards them. They want people who are potentially going to book a holiday or are interested in travelling.

This is more effective for them than paying someone to make 200 cold calls - lets face it, cold calling is hard, and becoming increasingly ineffective in todays world.

They are paying well above £5 per call because in most circumstances the person calls with a genuines interest and so is more likely to convert to a customers.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.