Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    At uni I want to study human geography and I've picked the following for a-level...

Geography
    Government and Politics
    French
    English Lit

I don't really want to do english lit anymore and I would do a science but seeing as I've been forced to do btec science instead of gcse, I have to carry on with btec instead of a-level which I refuse to do

So would it benefit me to do EPQ instead of english lit, or is that a stupid thing to do? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    EPQ is definitely a good thing to do and would be a lot more enjoyable than English Lit Go for it!

ReputationRep:
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gomg)
    At uni I want to study human geography and I've picked the following for a-level...

Geography
    Government and Politics
    French
    English Lit

I don't really want to do english lit anymore and I would do a science but seeing as I've been forced to do btec science instead of gcse, I have to carry on with btec instead of a-level which I refuse to do

So would it benefit me to do EPQ instead of english lit, or is that a stupid thing to do? Thanks
    EPQ is an extra thing people do in their spare time; it is not supposed to replace an actual AS qualification like English literature. If you don't want to take English, take something like economics, maths, another language or history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusionflare)
    EPQ is an extra thing people do in their spare time; it is not supposed to replace an actual AS qualification
    Thanks I didn't know that, looks like I'll have to find something to replace english then

ReputationRep:
    Yeah an EPQ is something extra. Just replace English lit with something your interested in and good at.

ReputationRep:
    If you've really been shunned out of doing sciences, that sucks because it would round off your options nicely.

How about RE? Universities love it. A really broad subjects that applies to anything. I don't take it, but I certainly considered it. Quite challenging though, that's probably why universities like it.

Have you also considered Maths? That's another big subject that you can't really go wrong on, as getting ready for UCAS is concerned. If you really aren't suited to maths, it might be good to avoid it though.

ReputationRep:
    have you considered sociology instead of english? I know lots of people think it's a 'soft' subject at A-Level, but I've found it really interesting, plus it links in well to human geography! (I've applied for joint Sociology and Human Geography at uni)

Economics could be an option, too (there's no difficult maths involved, I swear)

ReputationRep:
    I had the same issues as you, hated English Literature with a passion and its not related in anyway to my degree or masters.

Might be best to seek advice from the teachers at your sixth form/ college, after all they are 'experts' in their subject areas and know if its relevant to your future job aspirations.

Good luck with your A levels and your future degree

ReputationRep:
    Haha i do English Lit, Geography and French also (as well as ICT). I didn't really want to do English Lit, i just needed a fourth option, its not that bad at AS. I'm planning on dropping it at A2 so it not too bad. If there is something else you like do it instead of something you hate

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Opinions onm the EPQ varies, but wouldn't reccomend it over a scince subject, but then again a science subject at A level isn't a joke and when picking one it must be thought about carefully

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.