Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

No sanitary bin in the toilets at work!?!? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Velour Fog)
    Everyone I know flushes their used tampons, I assumed everyone did the same. Hmm... :holmes:
    They aren't (quickly) biodegradable, it'd be like flushing paper or fabric down, you're going to block something and then when you flush you ruin the whole bathroom with flooding and everything.
    (Original post by ELM89)
    Flush 'em!!!!!! Seriously. Eventually the toilet will probably get blocked and a plumber will advise your employer to provide waste bins but until then, just flush it.
    That's like saying if a window's dirty you should smash it. At least bring it up with the boss and ask, rather than breaking something and getting the repairer to tell the boss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pawsies)
    mooncup or femmecup?

other alternative is to take it home with you (ew)
    This. Menstrual cups rock! I have a pretty average period and I can go 12 hours between emptying it. No need to take supplies or dispose of them, with menstrual cups you just take out, empty contents down loo, clean and reinsert. Job done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    They aren't (quickly) biodegradable, it'd be like flushing paper or fabric down, you're going to block something and then when you flush you ruin the whole bathroom with flooding and everything.

That's like saying if a window's dirty you should smash it. At least bring it up with the boss and ask, rather than breaking something and getting the repairer to tell the boss
    Yeah, it's probably less embarrassing to ask the boss for a bin than have the toilet blocked, the plumber come and pull out used sanitary items, and for them to work out it must have been you.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone I know flushes their used tampons, I assumed everyone did the same. Hmm... :holmes:
    No no no no no no no!!

Never ever flush tampons, pads, wipes etc down toilets! How do you think you get blocked drains and water backing up in your toilet?? Not to mention the problems that sewage systems have to deal with. Also, your pads and stuff may well end up on the beaches that you walk on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madam, I'm Adam)
    Yeah, it's probably less embarrassing to ask the boss for a bin than have the toilet blocked, the plumber come and pull out used sanitary items, and for them to work out it must have been you.
    I'm worried by how many girls seemingly think it's fine to flush them down the loo, though now at least I know why the girls' toilets regularly flooded back at high school whilst the boys' only flooded once XD
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    I'm worried by how many girls seemingly think it's fine to flush them down the loo
    Same. There's a notice up in a club I go to. It says to put waste products in the bin provided and not flush down the toilet.

ReputationRep:
    Even I know that's wrong!

OP, bring a sandwich bag or something else water tight to put them in and then you can throw them away discreetly later.
    its actually not...

some packets actually have flushable written on them. If a loo has a septic tank then you cannot flush them and you dont ever flush pads.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-QkMFdMQKl4...G1931+copy.jpg

of course if there is a bin then its obviously preferable to use that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kunoichi)
    some packets actually have flushable written on them.
    I think that's the clue. Non-flushable unless stated otherwise, but you have enlightened me as to the existence of flushable ones.

I'd just put it in my bag. Can't believe some people flush theirs. You're not supposed to.

ReputationRep:
    I had a similar problem to you OP when I interned in a small office. Shockingly almost all the staff were female yet they didn't have a sanitary bin. What I used to do is wrap the pad in a scented sanitary bag and place it in the normal toilet waste bin by the sinks where people put hand towels. And its actually illegal not to have sanitary bins in a workplace.

ReputationRep:
    In this situation I usually just flush the tampon and leave the wrapper on the side to make a point... however, if it's a workplace where everyone would know it was you, that might be embarrassing! I would just discreetly ask someone if they could get some.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    I had a similar problem to you OP when I interned in a small office. Shockingly almost all the staff were female yet they didn't have a sanitary bin. What I used to do is wrap the pad in a scented sanitary bag and place it in the normal toilet waste bin by the sinks where people put hand towels. And its actually illegal not to have sanitary bins in a workplace.
    Really? Seems a bit excessive, unless normal bins suffice.

(Original post by kat91s)
    In this situation I usually just flush the tampon and leave the wrapper on the side to make a point... however, if it's a workplace where everyone would know it was you, that might be embarrassing! I would just discreetly ask someone if they could get some.
    Ask first, surely? Flushing it is akin to vandalism, that's not how you 'make a point'.

ReputationRep:

Ask first, surely? Flushing it is akin to vandalism, that's not how you 'make a point'.
    well maybe not a sanitary bin but suitable disposal of some kind-
    The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 specify that all companies are required to provide a suitable means for the disposal of sanitary dressings in ladies washrooms. We had bins outside the cubicle in the toilet room with the sinks so that was probally ok but the OP's case is illegal.

ReputationRep:
    well maybe not a sanitary bin but suitable disposal of some kind-
    The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 specify that all companies are required to provide a suitable means for the disposal of sanitary dressings in ladies washrooms. We had bins outside the cubicle in the toilet room with the sinks so that was probally ok but the OP's case is illegal.
    Ah, fair enough, that makes sense. Best thing for the OP to do is to ask though, it's astounding that some people are suggesting to essentially break the toilets.

ReputationRep:
    It's not a human right for the business to provide bins in the toilet.

Bring along some scented nappy bags (you can get them for £1 from Sainsbury's or Boots) along with rubbish bags or bin liners and some spray. When you need to dispose of the rubbish take them outside to a nearby bin (that way the content of the bag is hidden). If you have a car, you could leave them in there - it's not hygienic but you could dispose of them during your lunch break.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my word, I despair for humanity. That is ridiculous. It's not a God-given right, nor is it the responsibility of a private enterprise.

ReputationRep:
    That's really irresponsible. Have you never seen the signs that say "please dispose of your sanitary towels properly, not down the toilet" or "only put tissue paper in the toilet". Then people complain about what they find on beaches etc. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Ask the manager. I haven't checked but I bet its a regulatory requirement that he provides one.

ReputationRep:

Calling it vandalism is a bit extreme. Ask first? I'm not about to march up to the manager and ask where I should put my dirty tampon.

ReputationRep:
    Its definately a requirement for a workplace to provide toilets, handwashing facilities and bins.

Since you work in a food place do the customer toilets not have them cos im pretty sure thats dodgy too.

I work in a costa and we have seperate sanitary and nappy bins and theyre collected by a van that comes round every so often so theyre not mixed with the rest of the waste. I thought that was to keep everything as sanitary as possible

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.