Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

How to get A/A* in GCSE History? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I know this thread is kind of dead, but I've read through all this and everyone sort of just says "perfect your essay technique" or "learn the structure of each answer". I personally know that's what I need to do, but it would be helpful if someone actually said what the essay technique was or how to structure the answers instead of just saying that's what needs to be learnt. I'm good on facts and stuff, but I can never seem to get higher than a B because I just don't know how to answer the questions, so could anybody still using this thread offer some advice?

ReputationRep:
    1. Hi, I would also like some tips on how to secure an A/A*; if it's possible then please could you give me some guidance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 💩💩💩💩💩)
    I personally know that's what I need to do, but it would be helpful if someone actually said what the essay technique was or how to structure the answers instead of just saying that's what needs to be learnt.
    Hey,
    So I'm going to pass on the advice of my history teacher I'll only cover history of medcince as we do American west as our in depth study.

Section A
    1a. Look at the source-observe what you can see. Use these clues to show off how much you know about the issue to the examiner. DON'T describe the source, they can see it. Saying things like looking a the source I can see...from this I can infer that.....

1b Use the phrase whereas to explain the differences between the sources. "What" is the key word in this question: what are the differences.

1c. TAP= time, author, place/purpose write three paragraphs explaining why the sources are different according to TAP. So one paragraph on T etc.

1d. The factors essay, choose 3-4 factors include any given factors, say which one is the most important in the introduction and conclusion and make links. ( personally I structure it so I start with the most important and work down)ex this factor links with this factor because..

Sections B &C
    2/3a explain what it was, why it was important at the time, explain how it changes the way people thought. If it led to something significant include that. Try to give 2 example.

2/3b compare them ! Stat by explaining which one was the most important then give two examples for both choices, include direct comparison and explain LONG TERM IMPACTS. Conclude with a judgement and another reason your choice was important

That's it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cal1999)
    1. Hi, I would also like some tips on how to secure an A/A*; if it's possible then please could you give me some guidance.
    The biggest thing is to judge which one was best, make links and show off your knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bria331)
    The biggest thing is to judge which one was best, make links and show off your knowledge.

Which exam board are you with? I'm with AQA.

ReputationRep:
    AQA but with American west as the indepth study

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bria331)
    Hey,
    So I'm going to pass on the advice of my history teacher I'll only cover history of medcince as we do American west as our in depth study.

Section A
    1a. Look at the source-observe what you can see. Use these clues to show off how much you know about the issue to the examiner. DON'T describe the source, they can see it. Saying things like looking a the source I can see...from this I can infer that.....

1b Use the phrase whereas to explain the differences between the sources. "What" is the key word in this question: what are the differences.

1c. TAP= time, author, place/purpose write three paragraphs explaining why the sources are different according to TAP. So one paragraph on T etc.

1d. The factors essay, choose 3-4 factors include any given factors, say which one is the most important in the introduction and conclusion and make links. ( personally I structure it so I start with the most important and work down)ex this factor links with this factor because..

Sections B &C
    2/3a explain what it was, why it was important at the time, explain how it changes the way people thought. If it led to something significant include that. Try to give 2 example.

2/3b compare them ! Stat by explaining which one was the most important then give two examples for both choices, include direct comparison and explain LONG TERM IMPACTS. Conclude with a judgement and another reason your choice was important

That's it!
    Thank you so much for taking the time to do this, it's really helpful, we were never really taught exam technique, just content

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 💩💩💩💩💩)
    Thank you so much for taking the time to do this, it's really helpful, we were never really taught exam technique, just content
    No problem, good luck for Monday !!

ReputationRep:
    I need help I'm doing history gcse and I'm expected to achieve a grade c but I want to get an A* as I would like to continue studying history at A level. Could you help me please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daemonium)
    I am taking GCSE History at the moment and I was wondering how to get a really good grade, revision and exam tips are very welcome. I am studying Germany 1918-1939 and Medicine Through Time.
    oooo..I studied those topics in my GCSE's. Got an A overall tho, was gutted because it was my favorite subject. The other topic I studied was British empire (source analysis paper unit 3) this i got an A* 100% so hat I did was discuss mainly on CHANGE OVER TIME. you will need to explain the significance (depending on the Q) and always referring back to the Q supporting your opinion with statistics. Also GCSE is more about detail so you'd need to know key dates and events. Good luck!:chaplin:

ReputationRep:
    I got an A* in History during Summer 2015. I didn't memorise dates religiously, it isn't necessary to do so. Memorise some key dates but you do not need many - it'd be pointless and not worth your time, honestly. For example, I knew that the Wall Street Crash happened in October 1929, but not the exact date, nor did I know many other dates within that topic.

The most important thing with History GCSE is knowing how to structure your answers. You need to know about how to analyse sources, how to do the extended essay questions and what to write for specific mark brackets. Know how to do that, as well as the content, and you'll easily get a high grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celloel)
    I got an A* in History during Summer 2015. I didn't memorise dates religiously, it isn't necessary to do so. Memorise some key dates but you do not need many - it'd be pointless and not worth your time, honestly. For example, I knew that the Wall Street Crash happened in October 1929, but not the exact date, nor did I know many other dates within that topic.

The most important thing with History GCSE is knowing how to structure your answers. You need to know about how to analyse sources, how to do the extended essay questions and what to write for specific mark brackets. Know how to do that, as well as the content, and you'll easily get a high grade.
    Hi

Would you recommend any books or just use sources from the Internet and reading material notes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedicineMaybe)
    Hi

Would you recommend any books or just use sources from the Internet and reading material notes
    At GCSE level I just used the textbook for the course and read through that when I needed to. I threw it away, otherwise I'd give you the exact name of it. I'd recommend getting the textbook for the course, that's for definite. Within the textbook there were plenty of sources to look through, analyse and practise on as well as contextual information.

If you enjoy History then you can't go wrong with popping down to the library and perhaps doing some wider reading on the area of History you're studying. It's not necessary for GCSE, but it's good practise for advanced study beyond GCSE level and may be interesting to do so. It might also help with picking up advanced marks but as I said it's not necessary to get the higher grades.

ReputationRep:
    Please give it i beg

ReputationRep:
    I really need it, getting Ds currently

ReputationRep:
    Revise dates, facts and events. When a question comes up in that exam, you should be smirking and being like, "I know this because I revised my ass off!" whatever the question is.

ReputationRep:
    I've tried my best and packed myself with knowledge and I thought I did pretty good in the exams till I saw a D... );

ReputationRep:
    Could i have that revision link please

ReputationRep:
    Could i have that revision link please

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.