Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

How can I be better at arguing in real life? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I always end up contradicting myself or saying something irrelevant. If someone confronts me I don't like to argue there and then, I like to think about it and deal with it that way.

Some people are really good at it- they always seem to have the right thing to say straight away.

ReputationRep:
    go the gym, pump iron and then argue someone

ReputationRep:
    Give yourself time to think. There's no rule that states an argument must be based on quick fire reaction answers.

ReputationRep:
    Slow it down, and try to break the argument down into simple chunks. Don't let someone needlessly complicate it.

ReputationRep:
    reasoning,
    logic,

examples to support statements (like in an essay but shorter examples)
    keep a cool head (you want a calm mind - don't get angry)

practice discussion and debate online (written) on forums in topics with more than one potential point of view.

...and if you want to be an excellent debater or an all round arguing champion (which means you can blow all your in-class competitors essays out of the water) get yourself a copy of Professor Michael D. C. Drout's lecture "A Way With Words: Writing, Rhetoric, and the Art of Persuassion. "

You can get it from audible.com (amazon.com's audiobook online retailer). If you do: grab the monthly subscription - which you can easily cancel without an hassles (subscription is $7.50 or $15 can't exactly remember how much however it functions on a credit system and sometimes you can grab a $40+ audiobook for 1 credit which is the monthly fee of $7.50 or $15).

but if this is a 'domestic-argument' based on differences in personal preferences for example which movie to watch on Friday night then you both need to accept the following statement as true: "we're best friends and although we don't always have the same preference we both enjoy doing what each other like and we take turns whenever there's a difference of personal preference".

ReputationRep:
    It's all emotional, just sometimes that takes over and we mess up. So what I do is coast in an argument, and be absolutely cool. Wait for the other person to rile themselves up, then undermine themselves. Then you simply point that out - Job done.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of life's decisions need to be made thinking on your feet so this is a good skill to learn don't worry I'm crap at it too haha! I'd agree that it's important to think through what you're saying at least a little bit, maybe you need to practice being more assertive? So talking a little louder, slower and clearer, saying exactly what you mean and nothing more, eye contact, little things like that. If you force people to pay attention to you physically then they at least have to consider respecting your point of view too.
    It's hard if you're a quiet type who doesn't like to kick up a fuss but there's nor eason why you can't say what you want to say

ReputationRep:
    Never argue on someone else's terms. Look at the assumptions they are making, and question their validity. Look at the speed with which they deliver their responses, and deliver yours at a different speed. Don't get caught in the trap of having too many good options - if they make an argument flawed in five different ways, take one of those ways and press it and only it. If it comes to nothing, take a different line of attack, but only press one at once. Get your argument straight in your head first. If you do not hold contradictory beliefs, you will not say contradictory things. It is acceptable to go back and reconstruct your argument. If you say two things that are contradictory then clarify on what grounds you would like to reconsider your first one, even if this builds common ground with your opponent. Remember, your objective is not for your opponent to be wrong, it is for you to be right. If this means accepting something that they claim which you earlier disagreed with, so be it.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the situation.

Do you want to emperically win the argument, or do you just want everyone to agree with you? Are you arguing an unpopular viewpoint with an audience or a pretty unemotive topic between a couple of people? Know when to pull out facts, and when to score crowd points etc.

ReputationRep:
    Believe me, it is impossible to convince each and everyone. Winning an argument is a matter of opinion to some extent. IN presidential debates, the supporters of each candidate usually end up always declaring that candidate as the winner.

So may be you do win arguments but you don't realize because you are very careful in deciding.

Treat argument as something very trivial...the more you think it is important...the more nervous you would grow.

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Become a woman, you'll never lose an argument ever...
    and its a proven method.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zedeneye1)
    Become a woman, you'll never lose an argument ever...
    and its a proven method.
    I don't understand why being a woman would help one to win arguments. I think that both males and females are on equal footing when it comes to arguments. How is it easier to win an argument as a woman?

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.