Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Gumtree - buyer wants money back Watch

ReputationRep:
    I sold my MacBook on Gumtree for £200, after already reducing it £50 to the man I sold it too. I told and showed him there was a problem when tilting the screen it sometimes goes black, in which you just tilt it back to a different position and it's fine. I also told him the MacBook sometimes gets a grey screen and fails to load up, I've always just taken the battery out and put it back in and it's fine and works normally. He said that was fine and bought the MacBook I showed it working and everything, and he was happy.

A few hours later he rings me saying he can't get the MacBook to load, and I explained already it does this and I just take out the battery. He was not satisfied as he claims it doesn't work and is saying he wants a refund. I said no, as I sold you it as seen working fine. He then started saying if not he wants money for repairs. I said no as I explained the problems the MacBook had and was completely honest. He said this is now a civil matter and is gonna take action.
    I am wondering what to do now, can anyone help me?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    You should probably give him his money back. Sounds like you sold him a pile of crap.

However, he won't take civil action as life isn't a TV show and it's a £200 dispute.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    You should probably give him his money back. Sounds like you sold him a pile of crap.

However, he won't take civil action as life isn't a TV show and it's a £200 dispute.
    Yes, but I explained all the faults with it. The MacBook works fine other than this, I even showed him it working fine and everything. And I sold the item as seen, if he didn't like the faults he didn't have to buy it. So could he even have the right to take me to small claims?

ReputationRep:
    If he did take civil action it would probably cost him more than its worth.

On the advert did you describe the problems you talked to him about? or did you just tell him them in person? If it did end up in court it may be hard to prove you sold it after describing what was wrong with it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NatashaLee)
    If he did take civil action it would probably cost him more than its worth.

On the advert did you describe the problems you talked to him about? or did you just tell him them in person? If it did end up in court it may be hard to prove you sold it after describing what was wrong with it?
    No, not on the advert, I genuinely forgot. But he rang me on the phone and I explained it all before him coming over, and I also demonstrated the problems also. Say it did go to court, couldn't I just get copies of the phone conversations or something as that proves I explained everything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HarryB95)
    No, not on the advert, I genuinely forgot. But he rang me on the phone and I explained it all before him coming over, and I also demonstrated the problems also. Say it did go to court, couldn't I just get copies of the phone conversations or something as that proves I explained everything?
    Well yeah if you could get copies that would prove it, if it did go to court though he might say that you did tell him about what was wrong with it.

I doubt he'd actually take you to court though, unless maybe he's trying to prove a point. Isn't is something like £40 for a claim pack? (going off a level law knowledge from 2 years ago here lol so i may be wrong)

At the end of the day you've said whats wrong with it/what you have to do, i don't think you should have to give him a refund. But that's my opinion

It's £200 and we're talking about court cases, are you kidding me?

If you do give him a refund, make sure he gives you back the product first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genocidal)
    It's £200 and we're talking about court cases, are you kidding me?

If you do give him a refund, make sure he gives you back the product first.
    This
    Don't know what this guy could be doing
    Maybe he's trying to pull a fast one? Take his money back, the product and run?
    Have you been back to see the guy since this to see if it has gotten worse or whether it is the same as previously when you sold it?
    Highly doubt he would take you to court over it though
    Bit pathetic for a buggered laptop and the sake of £200. Besides, he said he wants the money for repairs. Surely buying a broken laptop means you would have further funds to fix it in the first place?
    Just a thought?

ReputationRep:
    I sold my MacBook on Gumtree for £200, after already reducing it £50 to the man I sold it too. I told and showed him there was a problem when tilting the screen it sometimes goes black, in which you just tilt it back to a different position and it's fine. I also told him the MacBook sometimes gets a grey screen and fails to load up, I've always just taken the battery out and put it back in and it's fine and works normally. He said that was fine and bought the MacBook I showed it working and everything, and he was happy.

A few hours later he rings me saying he can't get the MacBook to load, and I explained already it does this and I just take out the battery. He was not satisfied as he claims it doesn't work and is saying he wants a refund. I said no, as I sold you it as seen working fine. He then started saying if not he wants money for repairs. I said no as I explained the problems the MacBook had and was completely honest. He said this is now a civil matter and is gonna take action.

Thanks.
    Hmmm I actually see why this may have been a problem. Did you explain the problems to him AFTER he had already paid for it?

Either way, it would be too expensive to fix it, and going to a lawyer for £50 is patently ridiculous, as it would cost more than that probably for the lawyer to draft up a letter.

ReputationRep:

Thanks.
    Ahhh I see now that you actually sold it for £200. Changes my mind a bit...

ReputationRep:
    Tell him to put it on eBay. He'll get £200 for a MacBook sold for spares/repairs and with those faults.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt he will take you to court for such a small amount, and if he does and you are able to obtain copies of the phone calls then he won't really have a leg to stand on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dgeorge)
    Hmmm I actually see why this may have been a problem. Did you explain the problems to him AFTER he had already paid for it?

Either way, it would be too expensive to fix it, and going to a lawyer for £50 is patently ridiculous, as it would cost more than that probably for the lawyer to draft up a letter.
    I disclosed all the information about the faults before hand and even before he came, and also turned it back on and off, and showed him what to do when it happens. And he's claiming he can't get that to work, however I've always done it and it has been fine.

ReputationRep:
    Hi bad experienced happened with me some guy showed brand new vaccuums and i cal and ask him he said thy brand new coz i got no car so i ask him if he can deliver n he said yea he wol charge me £5 for delivery i said ok but when he gv me vaccum he didnt let me check fully put so much pressure of getting late do hury showing me new box when i open there are no pipes and vaccuum is used i m ringing him he not picking now wat shal i do help me
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:

Thanks.
    Just refund him it ain't worth the earache over 200 pounds.

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.