Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Why you shouldn't have pets in university halls. Watch

ReputationRep:
    You can't keep something like a cat, dog or anything else in such a small space in your room in halls of residence. You're not going to be in a lot of the time to feed it, go for walks, play with it, clean it out, etc. It's cruel to keep pets in such a small space.

The vast majority of people you'll be living with won't like it at all. For all you know, some of them could be allergic to whatever pet you want to bring in. They'll have to deal with noise and mess too. I guarantee you'll be relying on them to take your pet for walks or to feed it when you're busy in lectures, doing work in your room or going out doing other things, which isn't fair.

I'd refuse to live with anyone with a pet in halls; I don't want a pet making noise and scratching at doors when I'm trying to work. I don't want to be given responsbility for the welfare of someone else's pet. The pet won't even be safe; how do you know what people will do to it in halls when they're drunk? How do you know other people won't feed it things it will have a bad reaction to and hurt it? How do you know the pet won't attack someone out of fear?

You'll need to make financial allowances for food, sanitation, vet bills etc. On a student budget that's not going to be possible. What if on a drunken night in the kitchen someone accidentally hurts the pet and you get a £300+ vet bill you can't possibly afford? Every week you'll be buying food, sanitary products, possible toys and treats and other things which will eat into your money, leaving you unable to support or enjoy yourself.

Even if you want to take a hamster or something small, don't. You'll still have to pay for its food, health and sanitation. Get a pet when you graduate and have a stable job, so you can look after it properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusionflare)
    You can't keep something like a cat, dog or anything else in such a small space in your room in halls of residence. You're not going to be in a lot of the time to feed it, go for walks, play with it, clean it out, etc. It's cruel to keep pets in such a small space.

The vast majority of people you'll be living with won't like it at all. For all you know, some of them could be allergic to whatever pet you want to bring in. They'll have to deal with noise and mess too. I guarantee you'll be relying on them to take your pet for walks or to feed it when you're busy in lectures, doing work in your room or going out doing other things, which isn't fair.

I'd refuse to live with anyone with a pet in halls; I don't want a pet making noise and scratching at doors when I'm trying to work. I don't want to be given responsbility for the welfare of someone else's pet. The pet won't even be safe; how do you know what people will do to it in halls when they're drunk? How do you know other people won't feed it things it will have a bad reaction too and hurt it? How do you know the pet won't attack someone out of fear?

You'll need to make financial allowances for food, sanitation, vet bills etc. On a student budget that's not going to be possible. What if on a drunken night in the kitchen someone accidentally hurts the pet and you get a £300+ vet bill you can't possibly afford? Every week you'll be buying food, sanitary products, possible toys and treats and other things which will eat into your money, leaving you unable to support or enjoy yourself.

Even if you want to take a hamster or something small, don't. You'll still have to pay for its food, health and sanitation. Get a pet when you graduate and have a stable job so you can look after it properly.
    I agree that its hard to take proper care of animals in halls, especially those which dont allow pets. But I dont see a problem with having pets when you move out into private rented accommodation, if your housemates are okay with it (better if its a pet that can be kept in your room like a small rodent). A huge number of people in the UK rent and have pets, why should students be any different? Not all students are irresponsible. I agree that if you cant afford the time or money to look after your pet you shouldnt get one, but that applies to everyone, not just uni students

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaiaaa)
    I agree that its hard to take proper care of animals in halls, especially those which dont allow pets. But I dont see a problem with having pets when you move out into private rented accommodation, if your housemates are okay with it (better if its a pet that can be kept in your room like a small rodent). A huge number of people in the UK rent and have pets, why should students be any different? Not all students are irresponsible. I agree that if you cant afford the time or money to look after your pet you shouldnt get one, but that applies to everyone, not just uni students
    Even the most reponsible student has every chance of being saddled with a very expensive vet bill they can't afford. When people have stable jobs they can accomodate for things like that to happen, rather than dipping into their student loan and not being able to support themselves.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Even the most reponsible student has every chance of being saddled with a very expensive vet bill they can't afford. When people have stable jobs they can accomodate for things like that to happen, rather than dipping into their student loan and not being able to support themselves.
    Two words: Pet Insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaliack)
    Two words: Pet Insurance.
    What about the time needed to look after pets, noise, mess, insurance payments, food and sanitation to be paid for, the feelings of the pet, the health and feelings of the people you'll live with, etc? Pet insurance doesn't make all these problems go away.

ReputationRep:
    Your flatmate might also end up cooking it on a frying pan =/
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    What about the time needed to look after pets, noise, mess, insurance payments, food and sanitation to be paid for, the feelings of the pet, the health and feelings of the people you'll live with, etc? Pet insurance doesn't make all these problems go away.
    Hire a nanny, and go to bank of Dad.

Sorted.

ReputationRep:
    Also you could have a **** like this as a housemate;;

http://www.studentbeans.com/student1...mster3900.html

Seriously though, assuming your housemates are relatively normal I don't see a problem with something small like a hamster or fish. I was thinking of getting these, but apparently they're short lived;

ReputationRep:
    I'd be surprised if you can find any university halls that would allow you to keep any sort of animal there (besides service animals).

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I enquired whether or not I'd be able to take my cat to Uni, but apparently it's not allowed..

ReputationRep:
    I can't understand why anyone would even try and take their pet to halls. I know people love their pets and all but surely it's just common sense that it wont be able to come to uni with you.

ReputationRep:
    Because sooner or later through drunkenness or laziness someone is gonna try and eat it.

ReputationRep:
    who the **** is keeping pets in halls. that is ridiculous. absurd. a fish or a hamster maybe, but a dog? that's ****brained.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ed-)
    Also you could have a **** like this as a housemate;;

http://www.studentbeans.com/student1...mster3900.html

Seriously though, assuming your housemates are relatively normal I don't see a problem with something small like a hamster or fish. I was thinking of getting these, but apparently they're short lived;
    Where can you get those from? :eek: Theyre amazing!

ReputationRep:
    While I know it's tempting to keep pets (mine is a campus of exclusively vet nurses, animal biologists and zoologists), it's a mixture of the welfare implications and the risks, from the landlord/ landlady's point of view. Our halls are STRICTLY no pets allowed for very good reasons, one being bio security. This year's privately rented house allows pets, but the four of us have agreed that already owned pets stay at our permanent homes, and we only take on rehab- cases with all four of us consenting. No one wants to fit twice-daily dogs walks and four-hourly baby bird feelings around dissertation and exam revision!

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.