Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Should we question Charity? Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ted.com/talks/dan_pallott...ead_wrong.html

Not necessarily the value of charity where it helps those who are less fortunate, but its ulterior motive? Its methodology? Its wider humanitarianism?

Can charity be malignant in some cases? Can it be used to further a particular religious or political ideology? Is mind control media and its accompanying guilt-tripping a price to pay in order to get people to give money? What about charity organisations paying their workers a wage? Does that demean the essence of charity which is to give selflessly and expect nothing in return? Can charity be a profit making business? Should it be?

ReputationRep:
    There are some cases of well intentioned charity doing more harm than good, like people giving away old clothes that get sent to poorer countries and then put local clothes merchants out of business. I'm not sure if that's what you meant though. And as for the question, can charity be a profit making business, I guess it could be, but I don't think it should.

ReputationRep:
    YES!
    My father checked out accounts for LINK CHARITY DEVELOPMENT who organise hitch hikes from universities and apparently things do not look good for them as a business. I've withdrawn from the hike altogether.

ReputationRep:
    I thought this was a very good TED talk, and he made some very interesting points. His highlighting of the fact that we allow for-profit businessmen to make massive profits as long as their products materially benefit us, but refuse the same right to philanthropists, was very enlightening. Perhaps there is a call for reassessing how we see charity and non-profit enterprises – I would say that we need to accept that some money donated to charity will pay for costs besides direct aid if charities are to make a lasting impact in the future.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.