Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Would You Ever Play A Game of Russian Roulette? Watch

• View Poll Results: Would You Ever Play A Game Of Russian Roulette?
    No, never.
    67.61%
    Yes, if it was for the £5,000,000 once in a lifetime opportunity
    23.94%
    Yes, only one game but with nothing to win or lose but my life
    8.45%

ReputationRep:
    This thread is to view those who would take risks on their life or who would prefer a more sensible option. I was inspired last night from watching The Deer Hunter and it makes me wonder about the mentality to want to play such a game.

One game, a 1 in 6 chance of getting killed, one life; and its yours. Would you play?

But let's make it more interesting - same odds but if you play and survive you win £5,000,000, lose and you're dead. You don't have to play, you can walk away but this is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Would you play now?

These are just hypothetical scenarios but it'll be interesting to see who would and who wouldn't in both cases.

EDIT: Just to be clear, you're not playing against anyone else, it's just one shot at your head without knowing the bullet's location in the revolver so it reduces the odds of dying greatly (nevertheless still 1/6 chance of you being wrong)
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    After taking a moment to think about it, I think I probably would. I would write a series of notes to people in case I didn't make it, but I think the chances are good that I would win the £5,000,000 and be able to use it for good purposes. I have no dependants or people relying on me, though I do have friends and family. In the end, I think the good I could do with the money would offset the risk of the bad outcome.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    After taking a moment to think about it, I think I probably would. I would write a series of notes to people in case I didn't make it, but I think the chances are good that I would win the £5,000,000 and be able to use it for good purposes. I have no dependants or people relying on me, though I do have friends and family. In the end, I think the good I could do with the money would offset the risk of the bad outcome.
    I think I would do it purely to say that I had done it - if money was included it would be a bonus but primary reason is to do something so risky, stupid and life threatening and survive; good chance that there might be that one bullet in the chamber in line with my head though.
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    I think I would do it purely to say that I had done it - if money was included it would be a bonus but primary reason is to do something so risky, stupid and life threatening and survive; good chance that there might be that one bullet in the chamber in line with my head though.
    I understand that mindset and would agree with you, if I was an island with no friends and family. But I wouldn't feel comfortable gambling their well-being for a reason that admittedly seems a little frivolous - I'd need a larger incentive.

ReputationRep:
    I would never do it. I'm scared of dying.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't just for the fun of it or for the money, that's if there is an option to walk away. but i would if it meant someone else didn't have to have a go because if they did get shot then i wouldn't be able to live with myself anyway, even if they didn't mean anything to me personaly. Because i would know that if had spun the barrel then i might not of got the bullet, and then we would both be alive.

ReputationRep:
    No way. Even if it's for any amount of money. Maybe I'll say with a bit of bravado 'yeah, sure, the chances are only 1/6 I'll die', but I'll be ****ting bricks when it comes to holding that gun. At which point, there's no way I'm pulling the trigger. I value my life more than an exorbitant amount of money - money which probably won't make me all that happy in years to come anyway.

ReputationRep:
    If I was at my lowest point in terms of both finance and morale, to the degree that I would ponder death then yes, But I hate to think of these things.

ReputationRep:
    It makes me sick to my sick to think of taking such a gamble with my own life. I am pretty cautious as a person though, I plan everything meticulously so I achieve the outcome I want. I don't think I could handle such a risk, such an uncertainty that would cost me something so dear for money I have no need for. I guess it depends on attitudes, belief and circumstance.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you can realistically assess whether you would or not without you actually being in that situation. I should imagine that at least a few of the people who said yes actually wouldn't if you gave them the opportunity. I don't think you can easily just imagine taking that decision, being in that mindset.

ReputationRep:
    I do feel like i would want to, not for the money as that seems like it would sully the experience somewhat. Can you imagine the rush you must get from surviving a game? Plus if you lose you aren't gonna know about it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. It'd make me truly appreciate the gift of life.

(and I'd be appreciating them 5milli benjamins too...)

ReputationRep:
    No. My mum didn't carry me around in her stomach for 9 months, and spend the next 21 years raising me for me to go and gamble my life away for £5,000,000.

ReputationRep:
    Would probably get a lot of viewers if they made it into a TV 'gameshow'. I wonder whether they could string it out for 45 minutes like they do with Deal or No Deal?

No, my life carries no value. It's priceless.

ReputationRep:
    I think most the world would considering how unequal everything is. I know people with £5 million+ they are not always happy believe me.

But yeah whatever makes you happy, personally no. I love life, i love experiences more than money.

ReputationRep:
    The value of a human life is generally put between 1 and 10 million pounds in statistical risk assessments. I would not play Russian roulette for 5 million pounds but for 10 I might be tempted.

Of course this is at the age I am now, if I was old I would probably do it, seven years after transferring all my assets to my children so as to avoid inheritance tax.

ReputationRep:
    If I was desperate for the money but I don't know what would require me to have such a huge amount. If someone in my family was seriously ill and they could only have the life-changing surgery they needed at a ridiculous price then perhaps I would risk it to get the money if all else was failing. But it would be my absolute last resort. I like life, life likes me...tralalalalalalalala

ReputationRep:
    Nope, I'm way too scared of dying :eep:

ReputationRep:
    No, because my life is worth more than 5 Million and can't be brought that easily. However, I am not scared of dying. It's an inevitability.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.