Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

There are some really horrid people on TSR Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuttyclorox)
    I feel sorry for people that post for advice, then get slated by people that have a negative opinion on something that doesn't even come into contact with their own lives. Criticism is more than appreciated by anyone but not when one expresses it like they're talking to a piece of dirt. Why are people so quick to jump on other users that are complete strangers? I think 'closed-minded' is one of the worst insults there is, but there are some good contenders for the word floating around on TSR.

If you know what I'm going on about, then try your best to avoid being labelled as one of these people. If you see other people spitting words - ignore them, they'll only come back with worse.

I know there are probably a billion other posts like this, about something that has already been said, but I feel like it isn't said enough somehow... so please, be respectful dear TSR users
    It isn't really, closed-mindedness has a very important use. It is in no way inferior to open-mindedness, just different. To quote a game I used to play: "An open-mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded". In my experience this is true, if you're constantly willing to learn by being open-minded you're extremely vulnerable. A balance and variation should be established.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olie)
    Hmm not entirely true, yes there are plenty of ****s in the real world as well of course, but some of the things said on here certainly wouldn't be said to someone's face otherwise they'd get punched.
    True, but my point was that there are horrible people online just as in the real world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grassgrazers01)
    I agree, I just wish there was something about abusive behaviuor in the rules and that it would actually be acted on :-(
    Although I don't tend to post on social threads, I get the impression that a lot of people are derogatory to others in them to undermine people and make themselves feel better - I've seen plenty of people like it in the real world too.
    There is stuff about abusive behaviour in the rules, and it will be acted on - if you report it. Moderators are not able to read every single post made - if you feel something breaks the rules, click the report post button and tell the mods!

ReputationRep:
    The mods are rather subjective when it comes to this, believe me I know. I have been bullied on here for ages and it took drastic action for them to do something.

ReputationRep:
    I feel sorry for people that post for advice, then get slated by people that have a negative opinion on something that doesn't even come into contact with their own lives. Criticism is more than appreciated by anyone but not when one expresses it like they're talking to a piece of dirt. Why are people so quick to jump on other users that are complete strangers? I think 'closed-minded' is one of the worst insults there is, but there are some good contenders for the word floating around on TSR.

If you know what I'm going on about, then try your best to avoid being labelled as one of these people. If you see other people spitting words - ignore them, they'll only come back with worse.

I know there are probably a billion other posts like this, about something that has already been said, but I feel like it isn't said enough somehow... so please, be respectful dear TSR users
    I just joined expecting it to be more Uni student based but i have so far seen many under the age of 17. Sadly this means there will always be an element of Childish behavior .

ReputationRep:
    There's horrendous people in the whole world, in its entirety, almost everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    I don't think this is a criticism of TSR, it's more of a criticism of people and their behaviour when given a mask of anonymity.
    Of course. I wasn't really even criticising, let alone criticising TSR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antrm1)
    I just joined expecting it to be more Uni student based but i have so far seen many under the age of 17. Sadly this means there will always be an element of Childish behavior .
    This ^^^^^^^

ReputationRep:
    The vast majority of people I've spoken with on TSR are wonderful. But like any community, there are always a tiny percentage of idiots who get a buzz out of being horrid behind the mask of a username. I still come here though, because like I said, so many of you are just lovely, helpful and bright people.

ReputationRep:

Well it's true that quite often some people will troll or just write something unhelpful. I've done it a few times. This is the internet so.....that's life. It's not just on TSR. I guess some people get a buzz out of trolling or playing the devils advocate because they are on the internet, behind a screen and keyboard and annonymous if they so wish.
    I guess all a person can do is pay attention to the good responses and ignore the rest.

(Original post by aranexus)
    Welcome to the Tsar; i mean Czar; i mean Tzar; i mean Tsr
    I think you're Russian into things a bit.

ReputationRep:
    ive havent read a dead baby joke on hear for months

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Last_Melon)
    It isn't really, closed-mindedness has a very important use. It is in no way inferior to open-mindedness, just different. To quote a game I used to play: "An open-mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded". In my experience this is true, if you're constantly willing to learn by being open-minded you're extremely vulnerable. A balance and variation should be established.
    I disagree. I consider myself to be open-minded, not impressionable and naive. I'll hear someone elses opinions out. That doesnt mean because I have listened to someone elses beliefs I will immediately start following them. However, if they convince me that I'm wrong I will accept it whereas people who are close-minded refuse to accept that any other opinion can be of equal value to theirs.

You seem to have got a little confused. Naive and impressionable people could be considered open-minded but that doesnt mean all open-minded people are naive and impressionable.

ReputationRep:
    I like it. You know people are thinking these things in real life, but here you get to hear them say it without all the facial barriers. It's like having a wasp in the room - you want it where you can see it.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    I don't think this is a criticism of TSR, it's more of a criticism of people and their behaviour when given a mask of anonymity.

Some of the most horrible people on this site are completely open, long standing members. The subscription area box is a poisonous place to start with, and certain cliques can be found all-over this site, even amongst moderators. Stray into these at your own peril.

I'd say the site is institutionally rotten, simply because it lacks a simple and direct rule system, instead relying on a pyramid scheme which tends to punish the regular members.

I still love TSR.

(Quickly checked the rules to see that there was nothing wrong with posting this, please just delete it if there is, there's no possible way I can know)

ReputationRep:
    Welcome to the truth no one gives a monkeys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Very true. We all know about those keyboard warriors.

ReputationRep:
    I agree OP, but this is a place where you have a keyboard and can say anything you want and the worst that can happen is being banned or negged. But, that is not really a punishment because at the end of the day no one knows who the hell you are. You could have walked past them today.

So, I guess it is people just being them real themselves or in some other cases, people just having a bad day and need to vent their feelings out and they will jump on the next person they see! (well, their post)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    Some of the most horrible people on this site are completely open, long standing members. The subscription area box is a poisonous place to start with, and certain cliques can be found all-over this site, even amongst moderators. Stray into these at your own peril.

I still love TSR. But I can easily see why people have committed suicide after being trolled on here.

(Quickly checked the rules to see that there was nothing wrong with posting this, please just delete it if there is, there's no possible way I can know)
    Couldn't agree more with the first paragraph, just ask Des for starters.
    There’s a freedom of speech without a fear of consequences. There is no inhibition, it's like being drunk.
    Not to mention loners with no self esteem like to impose power over people through forums via bullying and generally being horrible to inflate their own ego.
    It's unfortunate the internet has become a medium for people to hide behind an anonymous persona and spew out their hate and jealousy.

Also whoa whoa, "have committed suicide"? What is this?!

ReputationRep:
    There are horrible people in all walks of life but there are also really nice people too, it's hard to change people like you are describing so I guess the key is not to care what they think
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)

I'd say the site is institutionally rotten, simply because it lacks a simple and direct rule system, instead relying on a pyramid scheme which tends to punish the regular members.

I still love TSR.

It sounds like you've had some bad experiences. (Luckily I haven't (well, not particularly))

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.