Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I submitted my student finance application yesterday and it says that it is now being processed. However we did have some confusion over the parent's support bit and their income. My parents both entered the gross income for the 11/12 year however my dad's income was considerably higher than his actual salary, due to the amount of overtime he did in that year, and this is not consistent, therefore the figures do not fully represent their true annual incomes.

My dad expects his income to drop this year and I was wondering when I have to submit the current year income assessment by, seeing as it comes out in April. I have submitted my SFE application already and cannot make any changes to it.

p.s I have spoken to a teacher at school with experience on SFE and they said that my dad should just ring SFE to ask if he can change his income details? My teacher thought it was only fair that only the actual salary is assessed seeing as future overtime hours are uncertain. Plus, my dad's year 12/13 p60 is at least £6k lower than 11/12. What should we do?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi BP,

Unfortunately you teacher has give you some incorrect advice regarding this.

Your initial assessment for a maintenance grant is based on the 11/12 tax year, that can't be changed. As you've mentioned though the Current Year Income form will be available to download from April.

Your parents can use this form to provide an estimate of their income for the forthcoming 13/14 tax year. As long as the the household income decrease between 11/12 and 13/14 is 15% or more then we will reassess you based on the 13/14 income instead.

As your parents will be providing estimates of their 13/14 income we'll ask them to send evidence at the end of the 13/14 tax year to prove that the amount you've been awarded is correct so it it important that they use realistic estimates.

Hope this helps,
    Mark-Lee

ReputationRep:
    A couple of days ago, I checked my SFE and at the bottom of the page it had the breakdown.
    It said that I could get £5421 maintenance loan and £9k tuiton fee loan, taking into account household income. It did not say anything about grants, which I understand.

However I have just checked it again and at the top says they have sent off a letter and declaration form which I will need to sign and send back, but the breakdown of the loans have changed to £3575 maintenance loan and £9k tuiton fee loan, NOT taking into account household income.
    It also gave me a timetable that states when and how much of SFE I will receive starting September.

I am very confused and worried seeing as this new amount doesn't even cover my accomodation cost! Please help, is this just still estimate or is this final?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hi BP,

There isn't a final with student finance as your entitlement can change throughout the year if your circumstances change.

Unfortunately I can't access your account details from here but if you check with one of our advisers on 0845 300 5090 they'll let you know what's going on.

Thanks,
    Mark

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.