Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got my result for Core 1 Edexcel GCE Maths AS Level and I got an A. My UMS for this test was 81, which I feel was low. I worked very hard for this test and wish I had got higher. Do you think I should retake this exam, to increase my UMS for my AS grade? Any advice would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    It's an A; if you keep that up for C2 and S1/M1/D1 you couldn't do any better. Concentrate on your current units.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edsjay23)
    I got my result for Core 1 Edexcel GCE Maths AS Level and I got an A. My UMS for this test was 81, which I feel was low. I worked very hard for this test and wish I had got higher. Do you think I should retake this exam, to increase my UMS for my AS grade? Any advice would be appreciated.
    I got 98ums in the edexcel core 1 examination this January and I can give some advice.
    - Practice on TSR, help people stuck on core 1 as it helps you as well
    - Do solomon papers! I cannot stress this enough, here are solomon worksheets: http://www.london-oratory.org/maths/...x/samples.html
    Papers: http://www.tomred.org/c1.html includes nearly all C1 papers and solomon papers below, nice and neat!
    - Do past papers after solomon papers; the real papers feel much easier this way
    - Practice, use examsolutions, maths247 if your stuck for knowledge
    - Try find obscure but relevant questions that could possibly come up e.g. similar to differentiation one that actually came up

ReputationRep:
    On my first attempt at c1 is got 80 I think. Everyone in my class that didnt get 90 or above resat it along with our a2's in summer, mine went up to 95 ums. I didnt really have to do that much revision for it, maybe a couple of hours just to refresh my memory. Once you do c3 and c4, c1 becomes so much easier . So to answer your question I would resit as the ums are easier to get than in the a2 cores.

ReputationRep:
    If you know you can do better then yeah definitely. Last year I got 50UMS in C2 but thus time round in January I managed to improve by a margin, achieving 84.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for you advice guys. I'm going to do the retake, appreciate your inputs cheers

ReputationRep:
    work your way through these and I'm sure there won't be too much of a problem!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: zip All_available_C1_papers_in_Word_format_to_January_2013.zip (357.7 KB, 65 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sebcheets)
    Thanks for the papers but the January 2013 paper is for C2 not C1?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say concentrate on Core 2 and whatever other unit you're doing and don't bother with a resit - it's one more thing to worry about.

Focus on nailing the summer exams. A similar thing happened to me with Economics: I got a low B (73/100) in unit 1 but didn't bother resitting as I thought it would be easier to focus on one exam as opposed to two, and I came out with an A in the end.

But it all comes down to you. How confident are you feeling with Core 2 and your other unit? Do you think you could get an A in both of them?

ReputationRep:
    If it's the A* you're trying to achieve, I'd say leave it as it is and focus on your current units, especially C3 and C4 in A2. I got 84 UMS in C1 (didn't resit), but 95 UMS in C3 so on track for my A* (my point is that what really counts is your performance in C3 and C4, the rest of your units then just need to be above 80 UMS average, for the A* overall).
    If you want super high UMS in every paper or you're applying to a uni which requires very high UMS in all papers, then that's a different story.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    I think you'll do a lot better in C1 if you resit however I think it's more advisable that you focus on getting similar or higher in C2 and the applied module later this year.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i got a B. I know i can do a lot better, it's just one of those cases where i realised i messed up on that big differentiation/integration question at the very end. If you think you can resit and get a Higher A without messing up the other harder units then go for it, otherwise i'd just leave it. At the end of the day an A's an A. Anyways congratulations

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sebcheets)
    ty

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 26, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.