Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I got my result for Core 1 Edexcel GCE Maths AS Level and I got an A. My UMS for this test was 81, which I feel was low. I worked very hard for this test and wish I had got higher. Do you think I should retake this exam, to increase my UMS for my AS grade? Any advice would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    It's an A; if you keep that up for C2 and S1/M1/D1 you couldn't do any better. Concentrate on your current units.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edsjay23)
    I got my result for Core 1 Edexcel GCE Maths AS Level and I got an A. My UMS for this test was 81, which I feel was low. I worked very hard for this test and wish I had got higher. Do you think I should retake this exam, to increase my UMS for my AS grade? Any advice would be appreciated.
    I got 98ums in the edexcel core 1 examination this January and I can give some advice.
    - Practice on TSR, help people stuck on core 1 as it helps you as well
    - Do solomon papers! I cannot stress this enough, here are solomon worksheets: http://www.london-oratory.org/maths/...x/samples.html
    Papers: http://www.tomred.org/c1.html includes nearly all C1 papers and solomon papers below, nice and neat!
    - Do past papers after solomon papers; the real papers feel much easier this way
    - Practice, use examsolutions, maths247 if your stuck for knowledge
    - Try find obscure but relevant questions that could possibly come up e.g. similar to differentiation one that actually came up

ReputationRep:
    On my first attempt at c1 is got 80 I think. Everyone in my class that didnt get 90 or above resat it along with our a2's in summer, mine went up to 95 ums. I didnt really have to do that much revision for it, maybe a couple of hours just to refresh my memory. Once you do c3 and c4, c1 becomes so much easier . So to answer your question I would resit as the ums are easier to get than in the a2 cores.

ReputationRep:
    If you know you can do better then yeah definitely. Last year I got 50UMS in C2 but thus time round in January I managed to improve by a margin, achieving 84.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for you advice guys. I'm going to do the retake, appreciate your inputs cheers

ReputationRep:
    work your way through these and I'm sure there won't be too much of a problem!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: zip All_available_C1_papers_in_Word_format_to_January_2013.zip (357.7 KB, 55 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sebcheets)
    Thanks for the papers but the January 2013 paper is for C2 not C1?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say concentrate on Core 2 and whatever other unit you're doing and don't bother with a resit - it's one more thing to worry about.

Focus on nailing the summer exams. A similar thing happened to me with Economics: I got a low B (73/100) in unit 1 but didn't bother resitting as I thought it would be easier to focus on one exam as opposed to two, and I came out with an A in the end.

But it all comes down to you. How confident are you feeling with Core 2 and your other unit? Do you think you could get an A in both of them?

ReputationRep:
    If it's the A* you're trying to achieve, I'd say leave it as it is and focus on your current units, especially C3 and C4 in A2. I got 84 UMS in C1 (didn't resit), but 95 UMS in C3 so on track for my A* (my point is that what really counts is your performance in C3 and C4, the rest of your units then just need to be above 80 UMS average, for the A* overall).
    If you want super high UMS in every paper or you're applying to a uni which requires very high UMS in all papers, then that's a different story.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll do a lot better in C1 if you resit however I think it's more advisable that you focus on getting similar or higher in C2 and the applied module later this year.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i got a B. I know i can do a lot better, it's just one of those cases where i realised i messed up on that big differentiation/integration question at the very end. If you think you can resit and get a Higher A without messing up the other harder units then go for it, otherwise i'd just leave it. At the end of the day an A's an A. Anyways congratulations

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sebcheets)
    ty

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.