The Student Room Group

Work experience/activities

Hi guys,

I am in the final year of my course and the realisation of finishing Uni is starting to hit me. Part of this is regret that I didn't do enough extra-curricular work or work experience during time at Uni.
Obviously I worked during each summer (at M&S) however there are a number of things specific to my course that I didn't get involved in. Over the past 3 years I have had no idea what I want to do in terms of a career and to an extent I still don't. My worry is that due to my lack of experience (internships etc.) I will find it much more difficult to get a job.
Essentially I am just looking for some ideas of potential things I could do to make me more attractive to an employer?

Probably asking a lot but I thought this forum was the best place to ask :biggrin:
I would suggest getting some work experience this summer- it's never too late! What degree did you do? Do you have any ideas of careers?

You probably have a lot more skills than you think. It might be a good idea to create a list or a table with all your hobbies, extra-curricular, work exp, skills, interests, achievements etc. so you get a good overall idea of where you are/what you need to add. You might even be pleasantly surprised!

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you. I am nearly finished a degree in LLB law but decided pretty early on I didn't want to go down the solicitor/barrister route. I have a few ideas of careers but at the moment it is just a lot of different ideas not really related to each other :biggrin:

I know I have more skills than I probably think as working in general and doing my degree has taught me a lot. However I do regret not getting involved in more extra-curricular activities etc. It sounds ridiculous but for the past 2 years I have concentrated so much on getting my degree that I neglected other parts of my development. Something both me and my girlfriend were looking at is volunteering in Africa, possibly over this summer. There are a number of reasons we want to do this but I also understand things like this look good on your C.V?
You're welcome :smile:

Volunteering would look really impressive and be super fun! In my opinion, I think you should do it.

I see what you mean about the lack of extra-curricular, but the volunteering could help make up for it. Have you considered learning a new skill? May be a language- that would get you far in whatever career you pursue, or an instrument?

Also, you could (if you like this sort of thing) get a job abroad- as a volunteer or paid- which would give you lots of experience and a good excuse to travel!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending