Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I really don't know what I want to do with my life. I've applied to one course and i'm thinking of applying to another but I know really that I don't want to do either.

The best thing for anyone in this situation would probably be to take a gap year, but i can't do that due to my family situation.

So my question is how much would doing a year at uni doing something I don't want to do (by the end of it hopefully i know what to do) mess my life up?

I just wish uni was more like college, i guess
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Well, you'll get into debt - a lot of people think this is a big thing even though in reality you're unlikely to pay it all back. The bits you do pay back come out of your salary before you get it so there isn't any temptation to spend it, and it's small amounts.

Student finance will allow you one false start, so going to uni and dropping out is fine. However you'll only get one student bank account and overdraft so if you spend all that the first year you'll end up with nothing for your second attempt. Some people manage without an overdraft but others can't.

Sent from my GT-S5363

ReputationRep:
    I don't really understand your situation, sorry.

So, you've applied to a couse at university? Same course at 5 universities, yes?

But now you want to study another course, but you're still not sure?

If that's the case, if you are desperate to go to university this year, do as much research as you can in this second course to decide if it what you want to study. Contact the universities you've applied for and ask if you can change your course (if it's the same department, then great).

I wouldnt really recommend going to university to study a course that you really don't want to. If you are, indeed completely sure you'll hate it. It's just a massive waste of money, and you might run into troubles with students loan for future loans. And most importantly you'll have a miserable time studying something you hate and your health will suffer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Well, you'll get into debt - a lot of people think this is a big thing even though in reality you're unlikely to pay it all back. The bits you do pay back come out of your salary before you get it so there isn't any temptation to spend it, and it's small amounts.

Student finance will allow you one false start, so going to uni and dropping out is fine. However you'll only get one student bank account and overdraft so if you spend all that the first year you'll end up with nothing for your second attempt. Some people manage without an overdraft but others can't.

Sent from my GT-S5363
    When I dropped out of my first university, I contacted my bank (Lloyds) about my student bank account, but said that I will be going to university next year. And they said its fine, and I don't need to change it. So I had the student account for the three years (as I had told the bank from the very beginning). And then at the beginning of the fourth year (my third and final year at my second uni), they were going to change it into a graduate account. But I just went into a branch with a student certificate thing, and they extended the student account. So I don't think this will be too much hassle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alphadawg)
    I really don't know what I want to do with my life. I've applied to one course and i'm thinking of applying to another but I know really that I don't want to do either.

The best thing for anyone in this situation would probably be to take a gap year, but i can't do that due to my family situation.

So my question is how much would doing a year at uni doing something I don't want to do (by the end of it hopefully i know what to do) mess my life up?

I just wish uni was more like college, i guess
    That's not something I would recommend as the debt at the end would be paramount if you still didn't know what you wanted to do
    Maybe there is another college course you could look into doing for this coming year?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mother_Russia)
    When I dropped out of my first university, I contacted my bank (Lloyds) about my student bank account, but said that I will be going to university next year. And they said its fine, and I don't need to change it. So I had the student account for the three years (as I had told the bank from the very beginning). And then at the beginning of the fourth year (my third and final year at my second uni), they were going to change it into a graduate account. But I just went into a branch with a student certificate thing, and they extended the student account. So I don't think this will be too much hassle.
    You haven't understood what I said.

I meant you get a £1000 overdraft in year 1. When you repeat year 1, you don't get another £1000. So if you've used up your overdraft you may struggle for money.

Sent from my GT-S5363

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    You haven't understood what I said.

I meant you get a £1000 overdraft in year 1. When you repeat year 1, you don't get another £1000. So if you've used up your overdraft you may struggle for money.

Sent from my GT-S5363
    Oh right I understand. Sorry. Well...I'm kinda hoping/assuming that OP won't use up the £1000 overdraft when she's not even a student!

In fact, my overdrafts just kept on increasing, as the bank assumes I'm on a 4 year course, even though I did try to change it to a normal one!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.