Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Is it better to share with lots of or less people at uni halls? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I'm applying for accommodation at uni halls in Sunderland, and I'm just looking at the website and there's lots of different rooms to chose from. Some of the flats have places for 7 students, wheras others, just 4. Which would be the best option? I can be a bit quiet if people don't know me well enough yet, I was thinking maybe it would be best to go with the smaller option, but then, would it feel secluded and cut off? Would it be funner to be surrounded by lots of people? I'm a bit worried if there's too many people I might not get the chance to know each of them properly, and that it might feel a bit distant.
    Also, which would you recommend, mixed or single sex? I was thinking mixed is probably better and funner, and less *****y maybe, I've found one flat, where there is one girl, one boy, and two room left. I was thinking about picking this flat. Any advice would be really helpful

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather share with a large group. If there are more people, then your likely to get along with at least one..whereas of it was a small group there may be less of a chance of making good friends who you get along with.

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest going for 7. Living with 7 people isn't a large number, I live with another 8 people and it isn't too many people. It is quite rare for everyone to be around and interacting together- it isn't unusual not to see anyone for a day and we are a fairly social group. I'd definately say 4 is too few. Living with so few people decreases the chance you will find people you will get on with and means it will be a very quiet flat. If you live with another 6 people you aren't force to get on with everyone equally so you can choose who to become closer friends with.

I would recommend mixed sex since it is more variation.

ReputationRep:
    It really sounds like luck of the draw! You could end up with some great people, or some you won't get along with so well.
    I was in a group of 8 in my first year, and it worked ok. Looking back, I might have preferred 4. As for gender, it's really up to you. If all of your closest friends tend to be female, then maybe go for all girls. If not, I'd say mixed.

I would go for the flat you're looking at. As you make friends on your course/in societies, you'll branch out from the group of people you're living with anyway best of luck to you.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    It just depends how nice the other flatmates are. Pure luck.
    Personally I lived in a flat of 6 and I liked that and I would probably prefer less rather than more.
    Yes, having more people in you flat increases your friendship range but it can also lead to many more problems such as people stealing from the fridge, messy kitchen etc.

ReputationRep:
    I live in a 10 people (all girls) flat. It's working well for us, although we have sort of split into groups. None of us are alone though!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.