bonnie.chiu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi guys,

I applied to MSc in International Relations at LSE and Master in International Affairs at the Graduate Institute, Geneva, and got accepted to both programmes. Which one would you choose and why?

LSE is obviously more attractive as it is more competitive and internationally reputable. But the program is only 1-year and it does not seem to be as well planned as the one in the Graduate Institute (2-year program, very career-oriented).

Does anyone know about the career prospects for LSE graduates in the field of international development?

I am from Hong Kong, graduating soon from my undergraduate degree, and I hope to work in international organisations (WTO, World Bank, etc).

Thanks!
username396452
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If the Geneva degree is career oriented in a sense that they have formalized links with organizations for internships or "sandwich years", I would consider it a "better" risk if you are looking for specific employment. I know a lot of alumni from that institute that appeared to more easily find a job in Development NGOs, UNDP, etc with no prior work experience. Looking at their description, the program appears very similar to John Hopkins- SAIS, which is employment oriented.

The people in my LSE year in the IR postgrad programs generally already had internships or work experience in relevant fields before starting the MSc. So I would have credited their move into international careers with an already impressive CV. Those that hadn't, it took them over a year to end up in the UN or NATO, having to gain other experience in between, as the LSE doesn't actually actively do anything to help with employment.

The LSE IR department is a good place. But apart from the Brand Name of the university, the Department is academically oriented, rather than practitioner oriented. There is no exposure to methods training unless you do the 'Research-track'. But that eats up credits, so less IR modules to take. could try to build up foreign policy expertise, but I don't think that a single year, even at LSE could reasonably qualify you as an "expert". Unless you have something else on your cv to back it up.

Edit: You give credit where credit is due. And Geneva is a great institution. Also, look at the tuition fees between the two and what each provides!.
blink1007
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by bonnie.chiu)
Hi guys,

I applied to MSc in International Relations at LSE and Master in International Affairs at the Graduate Institute, Geneva, and got accepted to both programmes. Which one would you choose and why?

LSE is obviously more attractive as it is more competitive and internationally reputable. But the program is only 1-year and it does not seem to be as well planned as the one in the Graduate Institute (2-year program, very career-oriented).

Does anyone know about the career prospects for LSE graduates in the field of international development?

I am from Hong Kong, graduating soon from my undergraduate degree, and I hope to work in international organisations (WTO, World Bank, etc).

Thanks!
Hey. Lse is brand name and should open you more doors.
David Lynch
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Definitely LSE!
manboob
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Grad Inst., amongst those in the know (i.e the rest of europe) its serious business.
Slau92
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hi guys,

Thanks!
Hey what a coincidence ! I am from Hong Kong as well and just recently I have been accepted by both IHEID (MIA) and LSE (MSc in Conflict Studies), so I pretty much have the same question as you do.

Anyway, with regard to the question, I have been searching quite a while and gathering info about which one to choose. So far, the response that I got can be summarized as such:

In terms of the total cost of the institutions (tuition fee and living cost), IHEID and LSE should cost about the same if you don't have scholarships. So I don't think this should factor into your decision.

Reputaton-wise, internationally LSE seems to have a more universal acclaim, not only because of the quality of its teaching but also because it excels in so many fields. IHEID in comparison does not have such reputation because it is a really IR specialized institute so it just doesn't as wide an appeal as LSE does.

That said, this is not to say that IHEID is definitely worse than LSE in term of reputation. To begin with, when I mentioned to my European professors that I am looking for an IR degree, somehow all of them recommended IHEID and made no mention to the LSE. More concretely, being situated in Geneva, IHEID is frequently visited and very well-known among the IOs and INGOs that have their headquarter there. In fact, according to one of the threads I read many of the people working in Geneva IOs were recruited from IHEID. Given most of the IOs and INGOs are development and humanitarian-focused (inc. WTO) in Geneva, for those of us who want to engage in those fields IHEID seem to be more preferable when comparing to LSE - especially when considering the resources IHEID has invested in career advice and connection and stuff. So in short, while IHEID does not have as wide an appeal when compared to the LSE, among the IOs and INGOs - and within the "Geneva bubble" in particular - it is still very reputable (or perhaps more so than the LSE).

In addition to all this, judging from those who have joined the MIA facebook group it seems that a lot of the MIA students (80% I would say) have already got some work experience in some great places (the UN, EU, Embassies, Think-tanks etc)...so expect some really engaging and challenging academic environment at IHEID. And also given that at IHEID the program is two year long, the program I guess will be more comprehensive (at least in comparison to LSE's MSc in Conflict Studies), with some breaks in between for you to do whatever you want (internships or travelling for instance).

From my words you probably could guess I am almost 100% sure about going to IHEID, out of its advantage of the institute in terms of career prospect, its apparent academic excellence and more spanned-out and possibly better program structure. Anyway, I hope all these have helped. I know how difficult it is for us Hong Konger to decide between LSE and an institute that is not so well-known to us.
tintini
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi, I am applying for both LSE and IHEID right now. Just wondering what you put in your personal statement? I'm drafting mine up at the moment.
polscistudent88
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hi guys,

Thanks!
Which one do you prefer? Because IOs will never hire somebody that did not excel in his/her studies (as well as in other experiences), and if you do not like the MSc, it is much more likely that you will not excel.

Then, I think the Graduate Institute is an incredible school (and with outstanding alumni). So I personally do not think that anyone will ever say "did you go to the Graduate Institute? Ah... LSE would have been much better, sorry". [but this is my own personal opinion]

PS: Geneva is also an amazing location for someone that wants to work in IOs (how many are there? ). And LSE... Well, not much to be said (meaning, it is an excellent school, with top reputation). So I think you can really choose what you feel is right for you.
beefmaster
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I work in development, go to the Grad Institute. That is all.
marh
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hello!

I looked at their website and it said that we need to submit the GRE score (this was for Master in International Economics). Did you do the GREs?

And since I'm not from the UK, but I am curious as I read that most people are applying straight to a Masters program after undergraduate. Is it normal to do this in the UK?

From where I come from, we usually work right after the undergraduate studies.
Thanks!
M_Gina
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by beefmaster)
I work in development, go to the Grad Institute. That is all.
Hey guys, I don't know if you're still checking this site but I'm pretty much in the same situation and I would really appreciate your help!

See, I got offers from;

LSE: MSc in Political Economy of Late Development

UCL: MSc in Development Administration and Planning

Kings: MA in International Political Economy

George Washington University: MA in International Development

Graduate Institute Geneva: Master in development Studies

Currently I'm a political science student and I would like to specialize in the filed of development in the future (with an economic and social approach)

I'm not strict about whether I want to work in Europe or US, but definitely in an IO, NGO et.

Actually I'm hesitating between LSE, UCL and IHEID. I could really use some advice!! Thanks a lot
Raginimalik
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi guys

I have been accepted to both Sciences Po for International Public Management and Graduate Institute Geneva for Masters in International Affairs. Which one is a better choice?
AutumnBreeze321
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi guys,

Thanks!
Hi,

May I ask which university did you attend for your undergraduate studies?
Adanna_O
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by M_Gina)
Hey guys, I don't know if you're still checking this site but I'm pretty much in the same situation and I would really appreciate your help!

See, I got offers from;

LSE: MSc in Political Economy of Late Development

UCL: MSc in Development Administration and Planning

Kings: MA in International Political Economy

George Washington University: MA in International Development

Graduate Institute Geneva: Master in development Studies

Currently I'm a political science student and I would like to specialize in the filed of development in the future (with an economic and social approach)

I'm not strict about whether I want to work in Europe or US, but definitely in an IO, NGO et.

Actually I'm hesitating between LSE, UCL and IHEID. I could really use some advice!! Thanks a lot

Hi,
I'm doing some research into Masters programmes in development. I was wondering what prior experiences and qualifications you have? And also how you decided on where to apply.
jfreire
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello, guys! I am not sure if the guys from hong Kong finished theirs masters, but if someone did it(MIL/ in The Graduate Institute) I would really like to know how was your experience.
I am making Researches about masters in switzerlando, So it is important to know the opinion of others students.
Thank you so much!
betulozhan
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Which one do you prefer at living there? Geneva or London? Its much more important. For me, I'll probably choose LSE due to its brand name.
mahuarup
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi all, I do not know if you're still checking this thread, but I'll give it a shot anyway. I am from India and have been accepted into IHEID as well as JHU SAIS for the Masters in International Economics/International Studies program and am confused about what decision to make. Which would be a better choice for a future career in INGOs such as UNO and IMF, without any prior work experience.
SparksinTexas
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Any updates on this thread?
U2FS
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
UP
Kamumut
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi friend! I am preparing my application at the moment for IHEID, could you help me to give some advise about the applications and documents etc please ?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (20)
28.17%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (7)
9.86%
No I am happy with my choice (40)
56.34%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (4)
5.63%

Watched Threads