Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    I need to choose my third year modules within the next month, and we have the choice between a dissertation or an extended essay.

The diss carries 30 points with a 10k word limit, and the essay is 15 with a 5k limit.
    I'm more inclined to do the diss, but I have no idea what I'd do it on.

Do any of you guys have any suggestions or opinions?

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend you to do the dissertation. I am doing mine now and it is much easier than I thought.

The difficult part is to get to work but if you make a plan and stick to it, then it would be much easier for you.

In order to decide your topic, you have to think of the modules/topics you enjoyed the most and then make a research on the internet to see what was written about that particular topic.

If you still cannot decide, then go talk to one of your tutors so they can help you out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vassogeo)
    I would recommend you to do the dissertation. I am doing mine now and it is much easier than I thought.

The difficult part is to get to work but if you make a plan and stick to it, then it would be much easier for you.

In order to decide your topic, you have to think of the modules/topics you enjoyed the most and then make a research on the internet to see what was written about that particular topic.

If you still cannot decide, then go talk to one of your tutors so they can help you out.
    Thanks for your response
    I think I'm pretty set on doing the diss theoretically, I can start it as soon as my exams are over, providing that my tutor okays the idea

Do you think it should be a topic that I can cut myself off from? I'm worried that I might show my opinions a bit too much with some topics. Then again, that could be seen as a good thing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaykee93)
    Thanks for your response
    I think I'm pretty set on doing the diss theoretically, I can start it as soon as my exams are over, providing that my tutor okays the idea

Do you think it should be a topic that I can cut myself off from? I'm worried that I might show my opinions a bit too much with some topics. Then again, that could be seen as a good thing...
    It's not an essay based on your own experience and thoughts so it is difficult to show your own intuitions. You will firstly introduce your topic (say what will you do), then mention other literature on the subject, then describe your methodology and analysis and lastly, discuss your findings. In other words, you discuss what others have said on your topic and what you have found. So, don't worry whether you show your opinions.

The topic must be something that excites your curiosity or attention because you'll be working on it for a long time.

Hope this helps

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.