Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

My new car - Mk V Golf R32 Watch

Hey all, just wanted to share the car I picked up today.

Been working up to buying something nice (cue 'it's a Golf' comments )for a few years now so I'm pretty stoked about having this sitting on my driveway!

Has a fair few toys, some standard but others options. Ones I like most are: electric sunroof, electric folding mirrors, dual-zone climate control, cruise control, heated seats, 6 CD disc changer, and Bi-Xenon headlamps w/ headlight washers.

Haldex 4WD works a treat on damp roundabouts

Previous car was a MkIV 2.0 8v, and before that I had a 1.2 Corsa B for over three years.

Pics were taken from the place I bought it from, we have snow and lots of salty roads so the car is now absolutely filthy

Best bit about the car has to be the noise! Sounds properly brutal without droning on a cruise.

Things to do:

Replace rubber mats with carpeted ones (probably .:R-logo'd, which can be bought via VW stealers)
    Although tracking was supposedly done a couple of months ago, the steering wheel doesn't sit perfectly straight (more noticable as there are enormous bolsters on it) so will need to get that done again.
    Possibly get a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 3s put on, the Dunlops generate a lot of road noise and don't have rave reviews for wet weather confidence.
    Front seats don't pull forward smoothly (known issue on the Mk5s) so will see if I can free it up a bit

That's it for now - until it comes to taxing it in May. Only the small price of £475/yr... I'm convincing myself it'll be worth it though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)

Been working up to buying something nice (cue 'it's a Golf' comments )for a few years now so I'm pretty stoked about having this sitting on my driveway!

Has a fair few toys, some standard but others options. Ones I like most are: electric sunroof, electric folding mirrors, dual-zone climate control, cruise control, heated seats, 6 CD disc changer, and Bi-Xenon headlamps w/ headlight washers.

Previous car was a MkIV 2.0 8v, and before that I had a 1.2 Corsa B for over three years.

Pics were taken from the place I bought it from, we have snow and lots of salty roads so the car is now absolutely filthy

Best bit about the car has to be the noise! Sounds properly brutal without droning on a cruise.

Things to do:

Replace rubber mats with carpeted ones (probably .:R-logo'd, which can be bought via VW stealers)
    Although tracking was supposedly done a couple of months ago, the steering wheel doesn't sit perfectly straight (more noticable as there are enormous bolsters on it) so will need to get that done again.
    Possibly get a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 3s put on, the Dunlops generate a lot of road noise and don't have rave reviews for wet weather confidence.
    Front seats don't pull forward smoothly (known issue on the Mk5s) so will see if I can free it up a bit

That's it for now - until it comes to taxing it in May. Only the small price of £475/yr... I'm convincing myself it'll be worth it though
    Awesome car , looks great, bet the ladies will be all over you, well done. definitely a car that i would to own some day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Things to do:

Go to the Nordschleife.
    Nice car man, good work. Fixed your list of things to do.

ReputationRep:
    I seriously looked at one of these prior to getting my S3, and there were too many disadvantages over the S3. The only positives I could see was (a) engine noise, and (b) it was cheaper

The other issues I had was tax, mpg rate and getting a car exactly to my spec - in the blue that you show or the grey version, rs4 alloys, bi-xenons, sat nav and dsg and it had to be 3 door. It just wasn't happening. It was also slower than the s3, so all in, it did not seem rational, but I have to admit I still like them. There's that je ne sais quoi about it.

But enjoy.

Oh - Haldex is nothing to write home about. It's just a costly service addition at £150 a time. I've just had my Audi service!

ReputationRep:
    Think I'd prefer an specced out Ed30 instead...........The VR engine does nothing for me :-(

ReputationRep:
    Do you mind sharing how much you paid for it?

Nice car though, but as a sports car I would go elsewhere... One of my rides at the moment is the MK4 1.9 GT TDI golf and it is probably one of the best cars I've driven. The engine, reliability, and fuel economy are amazing, It's done 150k miles now, and I havent even changed the timing belt - its served me well!

What else did you have on your list when thinking of buying this?

(Original post by Beau168)
    Do you mind sharing how much you paid for it?

Nice car though, but as a sports car I would go elsewhere... One of my rides at the moment is the MK4 1.9 GT TDI golf and it is probably one of the best cars I've driven. The engine, reliability, and fuel economy are amazing, It's done 150k miles now, and I havent even changed the timing belt - its served me well!

What else did you have on your list when thinking of buying this?
    If you want a sports car, you buy rear wheel drive The R32 is a cruiser with straight line poke and no turbo lag. 30 => 80 in third gear takes barely any time at all, but you can sit in 6th at 30mph and still have pull even when going uphill.

No four pot turbo could ever hope to match the noise either. It's a real sense of occasion when you floor it.

Only other thing I was really looking at was a 330i/335i, but I decided against RWD. I liked my previous Golf too much as well and figured I'd rather stick with what I know and like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)

Things to do:

Bloody nice car mate, perfect colour too!

This has just me wish summer would come even sooner, so I can sort out getting an A4 or 5 Series :L

ReputationRep:
    This one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2810734963...305%26_rdc%3D1

Yep, well spotted.

ReputationRep:
    Nice car dude

ReputationRep:
    Nice car, wish I could afford one myself lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    If you want a sports car, you buy rear wheel drive The R32 is a cruiser with straight line poke and no turbo lag. 30 => 80 in third gear takes barely any time at all, but you can sit in 6th at 30mph and still have pull even when going uphill.

No four pot turbo could ever hope to match the noise either. It's a real sense of occasion when you floor it.

Only other thing I was really looking at was a 330i/335i, but I decided against RWD. I liked my previous Golf too much as well and figured I'd rather stick with what I know and like.
    Looks good for the price, I own a Nissan 350z, which is around the 8k mark but I would think your R32 would give it a good run for it's money, especially being 4wd.

I've been doing a lot of research on my diesel golf, and with a few mods and remaps, it is very possible for me to take it to around 180 bhp with under 1k worth of mods, and at the same time relieve 60 MPG, no bad hay?

ReputationRep:
    Nice :top:

ReputationRep:
    Golf's admittedly aren't my thing - but nice car still nonetheless.

Hope you enjoy it OP!

ReputationRep:
    When I close my car door it sounds like a Golf

I must admit though, I'm not too keen on the colour, but it's a very nice car. I've been looking at Golfs

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 16, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.