Do you find Iraqi guys attractive (or arabs in general)? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carrotcake18)
    show us a picture then
    Who, me :confused:

You also understand swedish?

ReputationRep:
    Also to go back to topic.

Girls out there, do you think Iraqis are attractive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alwaysrepetitive)
    I love my boyfriend's Iranian Grandparents and Uncle- lots of people criticize Iranians but his family are lovely!

Oh, bamieh! My boyfriend doesn't have a clue how to cook Iranian food, fortunately we found a little shop that sells lots of yummy food goodies!
    Yeah we're lovely

Well you can cut him some slack since he's a guy :lol: And when I went to Iran last summer the bamieh OMGGG it was sooo good :drool: (btw I feel like we're kind of hijacking the point of this thread :/).

This one time my English friend and I were at my friend's house and her mum (who is Iranian) brought some Iranian sweets and my friend liked them a lot and she said, 'Which shop did you get these from?' and she replies, 'The Iranian shop' :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ali-Iraq94)
    Who, me :confused:

You also understand swedish?
    ' yeah everyone in Africa speaks Swedish ' - Mean Girls quote <3

no. I speak Arabic though wont write though cause I think its against the rules on TSR to write in a foreign language.

ReputationRep:
    ' yeah everyone in Africa speaks Swedish ' - Mean Girls quote <3

no. I speak Arabic though wont write though cause I think its against the rules on TSR to write in a foreign language.
    Are you palestinian since it says you live in israel (and you can speak arabic)?

ReputationRep:
    Are you palestinian since it says you live in israel (and you can speak arabic)?
    no I am Iranian but studied at an Arab Catholic School in Northern Israel.

ReputationRep:
    no I am Iranian but studied at an Arab Catholic School in Northern Israel.
    Wow okay, so you´re a christian iranian in israel . Even though this is a bit off-topic: Whatdo people think of you there, bearing in mind the iran-isreal conflict.

Also what does a girl of neighbouring our country think of us

ReputationRep:
    Kabardar -eshoobi mansalbaare booni farmaye kanjal

ReputationRep:
    Wow okay, so you´re a christian iranian in israel . Even though this is a bit off-topic: Whatdo people think of you there, bearing in mind the iran-isreal conflict.
    There isnt any conflict between Iranians and Israelis. There are 250,000 Iranians living in Israel, and lots more Jews living in Iran. Only the governments hate each other, though even that is not as much as people think. Israel even helped Iran during their war with Iraq.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beansontoast93)
    the thing is though, the Turkish man I posted is actually quite typical of a lot of Turks. He is fully Turkish, actually he is from the south of Turkey. I know a lot of Turkish people (one of my best friends is Turkish) and many of them have the light hair/light eyes/pale skin. Hazel eyes are extremely common amongst them, as is the pale skin and light hair. Blue eyes, maybe not as common but many of them still have blue eyes. Part of Turkey is in Europe so it's hardly surprising. But it's still considered a part of the middle east, as is Iraq. Not all middle eastern people fit a stereotypical mold of what is considered 'arab' or middle eastern feautures. My father is Berber, but tbh I look mostly southern European, like Sicillian maybe, or even Hispanic. Not all middle easterners look the same, it's a very diverse and mixed place.
    Yes.
    But that doesn't change the fact that Turks are not Arabs. This thread is talking about Iraqis who are Arabs, and other Arabs, who are also Arabs.

And, although this is subjective, I personally don't think Turkish people look like Arabs, not even their closest Arab neighbours. I could probably tell them apart. Thy're a different race after all, with different anscestry. It's less so about colouring and more to do with features. I'm an Arab with green eyes and light brown hair, it's not controversial in the slightest where I'm from, but I look like an Arab. The reason why girls up and down the Arab world go crazy for the Turkish actor you posted whenever he's in some mushy dubbed soap opera is because he's good looking and he doesn't look like an Arab, yet there's a shared cultural identity between Arabs and Turks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Some random guy)
    You are wrong. Lots of Iraqis and Iranians have proven shared ancestory. Arabic speaking Iraqis have more in common with Iranians than gulf arabs genetically.
    Right, but as two ethnic groups considered on the whole (not paying attention to individuals) there is no "shared ancestry" which is what you contended - there is no shared common ethnic group from which Arabs and Iranians descended (except John Lennon's "brotherhood of man", which if I was to be perfectly honest is the only ancestry I actually care about in practice).

I'm also very bored of this discussion. Think what you like, you've already proven that you don't know much by suggesting that being Indo-European somehow is a matter relating to looks. Truly bizarre.

ReputationRep:
    Oj, det var en spännade blandning du har där. Jag undrar hur du ser ut .

Nobelvägen är väl nära willys, på väg till värnhem. I Malmö så bor jag nära Mobilia om du vet var det ligger.

Ingen av dina föräldrar är från storbrittanien så varför flyttade du dit?
    Lol Folk brukar tror at jag ar är italiensk, Sydamerikansk, eller middle eastern

Ja, jag vet var Mobilia är, jack gick där mycket när jag var i Sverige sista gången. Det är väldigt nara till var min mormor och morfar bor, kanske en 5 minute promenad. Dom bor precis vid Lidl.

Min mamma ville flytta i vag från Sverige, och hon och min pappa kom inte riktigt komma överens tror jag.
    Jag har ganska mycket släkt på min mammas sida som bor i England. Vi flyttade till Kanada först när jag var 3, och då när jag var 4 flttade vi till England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beansontoast93)
    Lol Folk brukar tror at jag ar är italiensk, Sydamerikansk, eller middle eastern

Ja, jag vet var Mobilia är, jack gick där mycket när jag var i Sverige sista gången. Det är väldigt nara till var min mormor och morfar bor, kanske en 5 minute promenad. Dom bor precis vid Lidl.

Min mamma ville flytta i vag från Sverige, och hon och min pappa kom inte riktigt komma överens tror jag.
    Jag har ganska mycket släkt på min mammas sida som bor i England. Vi flyttade till Kanada först när jag var 3, och då när jag var 4 flttade vi till England.
    Jaha okej . Lidl är ju riktigt nära .

Var någonstans i England bor du och pluggar du någonstans?

ReputationRep:
    No I don't.

ReputationRep:
    bump
    I have an Iraqi friend who was born in sweeden and came over to Uk and is now in London. (I am sort of Iraqi, my dad is from Iraq)

ReputationRep:
    Also to go back to topic.

Girls out there, do you think Iraqis are attractive?
    Yesssss - especially with groomed facial hair/stubble. Question - how many 'middle eastern' men would actually have a serious relationship with someone outside of their religion/culture ie 'a white girl'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vivavangveing)
    Yesssss - especially with groomed facial hair/stubble. Question - how many 'middle eastern' men would actually have a serious relationship with someone outside of their religion/culture ie 'a white girl'?
    I personally believe that it has to do with whether you were brought up in a western country or not, and whether your parents would eventually mind if you would date a "non-arab" girl, and then hopefully marry her one day.
    In sweden arab girls are generally a "no-go" because many of them have brothers/fathers who wouldn´t be very pleased, although I´ve noticed that the palestinians, syrians and the lebanese are not as strict with their daughters as people from other parts of the middle east.
    Some arabs therefore date non-arabs, usually behind their families back, especially if the girl is the one who´s arab (since parents usually are not as strict with their sons as with their daughters).
    From what I´ve noticed, it´s however rarely a long-term thing, because the families of the arab half want them to marry a muslim virgin from "back home".
    In some cases they (the arab and the non-arab) do get married but the difference in values and culture usually results in a non-functional marriage.
    This is what I´ve heard!

I have a bit of a different background. As I mentioned earlier I was born in Sweden and have been raised here my whole life.
    My father also moved here when he was 23 years old and have lived here for the past 35 years and therefore he´s very much "swedish" in terms of his values. He is muslim, albeit not very religious.
    My mother was an equal-rights activist in Iraq, fighting for more equal rights amidst the genders, as well as trying to remove the traditional gender roles in Iraq. Guess how I was brought up
    My father has ALWAYS told me that I can marry who ever I want, as long as I love that person and so does my mother, although I know my mother would want we to marry a muslim virgin girl from Iraq.
    Nevertheless I´ve never felt any pressure when it comes to who I am going to marry, and therefore I see no problem in having a serious long-term relationship with a "white girl". It is what it is, and as any relationship I would hope that it will go all the way to marriage
    But remember I have quite a unique background, and many Iraqis don´t share my views.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Right, but as two ethnic groups considered on the whole (not paying attention to individuals) there is no "shared ancestry" which is what you contended - there is no shared common ethnic group from which Arabs and Iranians descended (except John Lennon's "brotherhood of man", which if I was to be perfectly honest is the only ancestry I actually care about in practice).

I'm also very bored of this discussion. Think what you like, you've already proven that you don't know much by suggesting that being Indo-European somehow is a matter relating to looks. Truly bizarre.
    I didn't say Arabs and Iranians, I said Iraqis and Iranians. People in the Arabic speaking world don't all have the same ancestory, the local populations have more or less remained the same since antiquity. The idea that cultural Arabs from Iraq to Yemen to Morocco all have the same ancestory is incorrect which is what I am trying to say here. Excluding Basra and the Marsh Arabs, the rest of Iraq shares the same ancestory as Iranians. And we all descend from the same African tribe anyway. Now hush.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Some random guy)
    I didn't say Arabs and Iranians, I said Iraqis and Iranians. People in the Arabic speaking world don't all have the same ancestory, the local populations have more or less remained the same since antiquity. The idea that cultural Arabs from Iraq to Yemen to Morocco all have the same ancestory is incorrect which is what I am trying to say here. Excluding Basra and the Marsh Arabs, the rest of Iraq shares the same ancestory as Iranians. And we all descend from the same African tribe anyway. Now hush.
    Don't quote me on this but since when did Iranians descend from 'the same African tribe...' lol? Where did you get that from? Iranians are Persians who come from the 'Aryans' full stop. Arabs or Iraqi Arabs are a whole different ethnicity and I'm pretty sure they don't come from the Aryans. We have historically been different whether you agree with me if not. A Persian would never claim to be an IraqiArab and similarly an Iraqi Arab would never claim to be Persian because we are a different ethnicity. whether you agree or not is not my business.
    And I agree with Democracy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ILoveTehran)
    Don't quote me on this but since when did Iranians descend from 'the same African tribe...' lol? Where did you get that from? Iranians are Persians who come from the 'Aryans' full stop. Arabs or Iraqi Arabs are a whole different ethnicity and I'm pretty sure they don't come from the Aryans. We have historically been different whether you agree with me if not. A Persian would never claim to be an IraqiArab and similarly an Iraqi Arab would never claim to be Persian because we are a different ethnicity. whether you agree or not is not my business.
    And I agree with Democracy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    All humans come from Africa. The genetics disagrees with you. That is all.

Edit: And Iraq has only been culturally arab since the Muslim conquest.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 18, 2017
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.