Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

A homosexual muslim's dilemma. Watch

ReputationRep:
    There's really nothing to stop you taking your own interpretation of the Qur'an and Islam, identifying as a Muslim but opposing the organised stance on homosexuality.

A key point is that every single person on earth today is the same as you. No one has any special insight or understanding that you don't. We all have the same scriptures and the same evidence as you. The way you are made and the way you are is as much a product of God as the Qur'an is, so if you take the interpretation that God made you the way you were meant to be, and that the desires you have are natural and intentional on the behalf of Allah, there's really no one who can guarantee you are wrong. There are people who will disagree, and people who will preach their own interpretation, but ultimately, they're they same as you. They are human just like you and don't know any better than you do. No one can tell you how to resolve Islam with yourself because no one on earth has any more information on Allah's will than you. I suggest you ask yourself and ask God whatis the correct path for you.

ReputationRep:
    I too am in a similar situation, I'm in a Christian family and have come out gay and most people are cool with it but my dad and other men never talk to me anymore espically when I'm with my boyfriend. My advice is that you should come out a whole lot of weight feels lifted off your soldiers, and now I'm in a commited relationship with my boyfriend and I've never been happier

(Original post by JoshC97)
    I too am in a similar situation, I'm in a Christian family and have come out gay and most people are cool with it but my dad and other men never talk to me anymore espically when I'm with my boyfriend. My advice is that you should come out a whole lot of weight feels lifted off your soldiers, and now I'm in a commited relationship with my boyfriend and I've never been happier ���������� �������
    Thanks for responding.

I'm happy that you've come out and things have worked out for you, in the most part, but it's a different situation for me here. It isn't the Islamic part I have the problem with, it's the cultural. If I do come out then it could mean a lot of grief for me. Culturally if someone "shames" the family then they are ostracised. I've heard some people have even been targeted as an honour kill, because they brought severe "shame" on the family.

If I did come out and things did turn out for the worst, I'd have no one to fall back on. I would probably be homeless.

I do want to come out, but, for me, it has to be very slow and steady otherwise I could screw a lot up.

(Original post by theorangebox)
    There's really nothing to stop you taking your own interpretation of the Qur'an and Islam, identifying as a Muslim but opposing the organised stance on homosexuality.

A key point is that every single person on earth today is the same as you. No one has any special insight or understanding that you don't. We all have the same scriptures and the same evidence as you. The way you are made and the way you are is as much a product of God as the Qur'an is, so if you take the interpretation that God made you the way you were meant to be, and that the desires you have are natural and intentional on the behalf of Allah, there's really no one who can guarantee you are wrong. There are people who will disagree, and people who will preach their own interpretation, but ultimately, they're they same as you. They are human just like you and don't know any better than you do. No one can tell you how to resolve Islam with yourself because no one on earth has any more information on Allah's will than you. I suggest you ask yourself and ask God whatis the correct path for you.
    Thanks for responding.

I think if many Muslims thought like this rather than actually spurting nonsense out of their mouths then the world would be a better place. Many muslims like to interpret Islam as they like to fulfil some ulterior motive or some personal agenda and it really ticks me off when people like me just want to be accepted in the community get hate from everyone else. Hypocrisy much?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theorangebox)

Well tbh, Islam is pretty clear about homosexuality, there is no 'inidividual opinion' that can be derived. The thing is, if each and every one of us were to come up with our own rulings and laws then don't you think its kinda pointless to 'submit' yourself to God, when in fact you are not submitting to His laws.

I am not saying you are going to hell or are sinning if you only have these feelings. There are many tests in this life, but we cant compromise our religion to fit in with our desires rather we should compromise our desires to fit in with our religion. I mean for example, if one were to say they want to be transgender then that is up to them but they cant start coming and saying that Islam permits this because Islam is a clear religion with clear laws. Allah is our Creator, He knows us better than anyone ever, thus dont you think He knows what is best for us? Don't you think there is much more wisdom behind this law?

Regarding homosexuality, the Quran clearly talks about the story of the prophet Lut, whose nation were engaged in act of homosexuality.
    Thus it is clearly stated in the Quran: “And come not near to unlawful sex. Verily, it is a faahisha(major sin).”
    [al-Isra’ 17:32]

Tbh, as a muslim we believe that Allah has sent us onto this Earth as a test, he has made many trials and tribulations for us. However he has also made a great reward for those who sacrifice for His sake.

Please read this for a scholarly answer on this topic:
    http://islamqa.info/en/ref/101169/homosexuality

I sincerely pray that Allah eases your hardships and helps you to find the right way out of this trial. Meanwhile focus on your relationship with Allah and He will guide you as Allah is the best disposers of affairs.

I hope I haven't been too harsh or blunt, please forgive me if I have offended anyone, I just want what is best for you as my brother in Islam.

Peace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks for responding.

I think if many Muslims thought like this rather than actually spurting nonsense out of their mouths then the world would be a better place. Many muslims like to interpret Islam as they like to fulfil some ulterior motive or some personal agenda and it really ticks me off when people like me just want to be accepted in the community get hate from everyone else. Hypocrisy much?
    Also I would like to say I do not hate you, nor do I hate any other gay muslim. Rather I hate the sin itself as it is detested by Allah, and caused a great punishment upon the people of Lut.
    At the end of the day we are all children of Adam and we will all answer to God one day about our lives, and if you choose to take up a homosexual relationship then thats your decision, but remember you will be judged.

'Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.' Thus it is not in our hands to judge or hate people, rather we advise with kindness.

Peace.

(Original post by samcharles)
    Also I would like to say I do not hate you, nor do I hate any other gay muslim. Rather I hate the sin itself as it is detested by Allah, and caused a great punishment upon the people of Lut.
    At the end of the day we are all children of Adam and we will all answer to God one day about our lives, and if you choose to take up a homosexual relationship then thats your decision, but remember you will be judged.

'Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.' Thus it is not in our hands to judge or hate people, rather we advise with kindness.

Peace.
    Thank you for responding.

Just out of interest, what would you class as the sin? The act? Or the actual attraction?

(Original post by samcharles)
    Well tbh, Islam is pretty clear about homosexuality, there is no 'inidividual opinion' that can be derived. The thing is, if each and every one of us were to come up with our own rulings and laws then don't you think its kinda pointless to 'submit' yourself to God, when in fact you are not submitting to His laws.

I am not saying you are going to hell or are sinning if you only have these feelings. There are many tests in this life, but we cant compromise our religion to fit in with our desires rather we should compromise our desires to fit in with our religion. I mean for example, if one were to say they want to be transgender then that is up to them but they cant start coming and saying that Islam permits this because Islam is a clear religion with clear laws. Allah is our Creator, He knows us better than anyone ever, thus dont you think He knows what is best for us? Don't you think there is much more wisdom behind this law?

Regarding homosexuality, the Quran clearly talks about the story of the prophet Lut, whose nation were engaged in act of homosexuality.
    Thus it is clearly stated in the Quran: “And come not near to unlawful sex. Verily, it is a faahisha(major sin).”
    [al-Isra’ 17:32]

Tbh, as a muslim we believe that Allah has sent us onto this Earth as a test, he has made many trials and tribulations for us. However he has also made a great reward for those who sacrifice for His sake.

Please read this for a scholarly answer on this topic:
    http://islamqa.info/en/ref/101169/homosexuality

I sincerely pray that Allah eases your hardships and helps you to find the right way out of this trial. Meanwhile focus on your relationship with Allah and He will guide you as Allah is the best disposers of affairs.

I hope I haven't been too harsh or blunt, please forgive me if I have offended anyone, I just want what is best for you as my brother in Islam.

Peace.
    Thank you for responding.

I think your response is the typical response Gay Muslims tend to receive from other Muslims. We have read the narration of the Prophet Lot (A.S.) so many times that many of us have memorised it, along with the Hadith narrations condemning sodomy.

As a Muslim, I do understand what you are saying, however I don't think many people understand just HOW difficult abstaining is.

Imagine the longest fast you've ever had to keep and remember how difficult it was. Now imagine that fast lasting your whole life. How would you survive?

Or imagine that you were told that what you feel for the opposite sex (assuming you are straight) is wrong and you cannot ever fulfil that inbuilt desire. What would you say?

If we have no desire for woman, then under Islamic law you cannot marry woman because consummation is necessary. So in effect we are left alone because we cannot pursue other avenues. Also, what about the significant percentage of us that want to have children in the future? What about the relentless condemnation that we will get just by other Muslims knowing that we have these feelings? That we are apparently "diseased" and need to be 'cured' (which btw, I don't agree with at all).

What we are witnessing in the community is a TOTAL lack of empathy and that, my friend, is where we NEED to change. Not only do we lack empathy in this topic, but in many other topics that are considered 'taboo'.

I'm not trying to refute the rulings. With regards to sodomy, I do agree with the rulings as it's written in a Sahih hadith (IIRC) and Granted, many of the scholars have far far more knowledge about the religion than I possibly could, but things aren't always as black and white as that.

What about those gay Muslims that try to commit suicide every year? What about those that are targeted just because they are gay? What about those that killed simply because they have these feelings? Why don't I ever hear any sheikh/imam/mufti/ustadh condemning what other Muslims do to their brothers in faith? It's NOT right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    (Before I begin, I just want to say that I know the stance of homosexuality within Islam and it's rulings and that I do adhere to my religion and no, homosexuality is not a choice).

I am a gay muslim and wanted to get some advice. Apart from 2 people, no one knows that I am gay. Trying to reconcile my homosexuality with Islam has been hard, to say the least, and it doesn't help that I have hardly anyone to talk to about this, hence why I am making this thread.

What can I do to reconcile with myself, instead of going into a pit of depression, anxiety and self hatred, which I am slowly going into? Telling anyone within the family or the muslim community would be social suicide and I would treated as someone with an incurable highly infectious disease. Any advice would be appreciated, particularly from any other gay muslims.
    Hey, I guess I'm a practicing Muslim, and yes Islam is negative towards homosexuality, but pretty much every religion is. Islam is just one of the religions that hasn't caught up with the times. Don't hate yourself, there will always be idiots who are anti-gay, but they don't matter, If you feel like you cant express who you are because of your community or family you need to get away from them. There are practicing gay Muslims out there, you have to search them out, but they exist! You are definitely not alone. PM me if you like!

ReputationRep:
    No advice but want to offer a *hug*

ReputationRep:
    Watch your mouth and what you say because it will offend others do not cause trouble and have some respect , so immature...

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by HopefulMidwife)
    No advice but want to offer a *hug*
    Thanks for responding.

*Hugs*

(Original post by BeachTrawler)
    Hey, I guess I'm a practicing Muslim, and yes Islam is negative towards homosexuality, but pretty much every religion is. Islam is just one of the religions that hasn't caught up with the times. Don't hate yourself, there will always be idiots who are anti-gay, but they don't matter, If you feel like you cant express who you are because of your community or family you need to get away from them. There are practicing gay Muslims out there, you have to search them out, but they exist! You are definitely not alone. PM me if you like!
    Thanks for responding.

My situation is very complicated, I can't really leave my family. It's not that Islam needs updating, the people haven't moved with the times and still keep their backward thoughts. I put it down, mostly, to culture. =/

ReputationRep:
    Islam does have respect for women you ignorant fool go do your research , and go ask the catholics if gay marriage is acceptable says it in the bible do not sleep with a man thst sleeps with a man that is detestable'

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    LoL Gay muslim , wtf . There is no place for gay people in islam , you will be treated or you will be non-muslim , 2 ways ...

ReputationRep:
    Also what does it matter if you respect muslims but not respect what they believe in we are muslims because of islam so you can't respect one without the other

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And please do tell me about your flawless religion

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So you're gonna judge the entire religion over one situation ? Probably that was injust and that is the falut of the muslims not the religon as it is said in islam 'stone the man or women who commit adultery so in reality who you should be respecting is islam not muslims as it is the muslims that commited that injust behaviour islam is perfect muslims are not...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No one can force religion on you and at the end of the day, Allah knows best. Good luck with whatever you do decide to do

ReputationRep:
    OP, PM me if you want. I won't reveal your identity but I can send you a link which I think will put many things into perspective and provide some relief.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.