Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Will GCSE grades hinder me from going to study dentistry? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. I am a noob here so I have no idea where I am meant to post this, getting used to this website The grades I can get in August are 5A* 6A and 1B however my geography teacher said he is not going to be putting me on high tier paper so no matter how hard I try I can only get C overall plus he is really crap at teaching I want to sleep during his lessons. So do you guys think I should carry on going to lessons and get a C or completely drop out and get a U. Will Uni look back at my GCSE? I know A-level are more important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LimbuRonit)
    Hey guys. I am a noob here so I have no idea where I am meant to post this, getting used to this website The grades I can get in August are 5A* 6A and 1B however my geography teacher said he is not going to be putting me on high tier paper so no matter how hard I try I can only get C overall plus he is really crap at teaching I want to sleep during his lessons. So do you guys think I should carry on going to lessons and get a C or completely drop out and get a U. Will Uni look back at my GCSE? I know A-level are more important.

Having a C alongside 5A*s and 6As should not hinder you at all. If anything, universities will see it as an anomaly

ReputationRep:
    I don't think one C would matter, but if you did drop out and get a U, you wouldn't have to declare it on UCAS. So if you are that bothered, just drop it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    A c shouldn't matter unless it's in a core subject like english so I wouldn't worry They mostly focus on just the A*s anyway and ignore the rest i think

ReputationRep:
    Don't just drop out and get a U; universities WILL look at that, but a C won't matter in amongst your other grades! If you could get those other grades then you could be off to Oxbridge (6+ A/A*'s at GCSE and you're halfway!)!

I suggest that if your teacher won't let you take a higher paper, and you think you could get more than a C, then you need to try and prove it to him by doing extra work (believe me, I know you don't want to...but it'll be worth it), and getting your parent/guardian(s) to talk to him. However, if you don't look like you're making much effort to bring up that grade, I think the teacher is correct not to put you in to do higher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Em8980)
    I don't think one C would matter, but if you did drop out and get a U, you wouldn't have to declare it on UCAS. So if you are that bothered, just drop it.
    What do you mean can I just not turn up in exam and get a U overall at August. Will Uni ever find out that I took geography in GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carrotstar)
    Don't just drop out and get a U; universities WILL look at that, but a C won't matter in amongst your other grades! If you could get those other grades then you could be off to Oxbridge (6+ A/A*'s at GCSE and you're halfway!)!

I suggest that if your teacher won't let you take a higher paper, and you think you could get more than a C, then you need to try and prove it to him by doing extra work (believe me, I know you don't want to...but it'll be worth it), and getting your parent/guardian(s) to talk to him. However, if you don't look like you're making much effort to bring up that grade, I think the teacher is correct not to put you in to do higher.
    I have tried multiple times, that ******** wont let me.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean can I just not turn up in exam and get a U overall at August. Will Uni ever find out that I took geography in GCSE?
    Nope. You won't have a qualification in it, so you don't need to put it on your UCAS and they never have to know you took it.

Best talk to your school about it first, and check with someone else that you don't have to declare a U grade on UCAS, but I'm 95% sure that you don't because it won't count as a GCSE that you hold.

ReputationRep:
    Not at all, your GCSEs are good, not amazing but good enough as long as you differentiate yourself with your PS and good AS grades you'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    Go to the head of Geography department and talk to them about the why you want to do higher (talk about your other predicted grades and say you're very capable) Work hard in class and show you're interested by doing extra work.

If the head of Geography disagrees then go to headteacher and get it sorted.
    There's no reason as to why you can't do higher taking into consideration you do all of the above and are predicted A/A* in other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. You won't have a qualification in it, so you don't need to put it on your UCAS and they never have to know you took it.

Best talk to your school about it first, and check with someone else that you don't have to declare a U grade on UCAS, but I'm 95% sure that you don't because it won't count as a GCSE that you hold.
    Yes this is amazing!

ReputationRep:
    Yes this is amazing!
    Haha just check with someone first!

ReputationRep:
    Haha just check with someone first!
    Haha thanks a lot! checking with my head of english tomorrow.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.