The Student Room Group

Unfair dismissal problem question HELP!

Hi I have been given a problem question for my third year employment coursework concerning unfair/wrongful dismissal. I was hoping for some insight into how to approach this (Structure, areas to look into etc) due to it being one of the first problem questions i have answered since first year and with it being worth 40% i want to make sure i havent left any bits out.

With the removal of information explaining how they are an employee (ie salary, NI contributions being paid etc) the question is:

Dave is given a company car, he car shares with his next door neighbour and at the end of the day he will call to check what time he needs collecting from his office located 5 minutes away, Dave makes no other personal calls at work and he uses the office phone due to there being no reception for his mobile (he has received an oral warning for making calls from his mobile in the reception during times other than his breaks).
Dave was calling his next door neighbour when he was approached by the Managing director of the company and shouted at Dave in the full view of staff ' You are chatting on the phone to your mates again and on my time too, get into my office now you stupid *******'. The MD called one of daves member of the team to act as a witness, he tried explaining the situation but was told to be quiet. The MD said he had been warned about telephone use before and had been informed that he was 'always chatting on the phone' and therefore he had no option but to let him go and did not want to see him again.
Dave left the office immediately distraught and called his HR department the next day to ask how he could appeal this decision - he was told he had no such right under their disciplinary policy and that his wages in lieu of noticee were on the way to him.

Advice Dave in respect of any claim he may have.

any help is appreciated :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest