Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Building muscle without going to the gym? Watch

ReputationRep:
    /thread
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    http://www.passion4profession.net/

ReputationRep:
    For you, it'll be eat eat eat. Buy a pullup bar and use a chair to assist you until you can do them by yourself to work your lats and broaden yourself.

At the very least, do pushups to get your chest going.

If you don't want to go to the gym at least invest in some dumbbells, otherwise it'd be extremely hard to workout effectively.. other than that keep eating!

ReputationRep:
    By the sounds of it you're basically ****ed.

You need to eat, a lot, far more than you probably imagine 'a lot' is, and you need to lift heavy ****.

ReputationRep:
    I think the short answer is no, but you can bring the gym to you. Buy a couple of dumbbells and start doing at least a few exercises here and there. Beginners such as yourself can do many bicep, tricep and chest exercises with a few weights. Buying a chin up bar is another must.

I don't know how much they cost but a one-off cost will be cheaper than a monthly gym membership. You will need to join the gym once you plateau and have put on more weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kev.1995)
    For you, it'll be eat eat eat. Buy a pullup bar and use a chair to assist you until you can do them by yourself to work your lats and broaden yourself.

At the very least, do pushups to get your chest going.

If you don't want to go to the gym at least invest in some dumbbells, otherwise it'd be extremely hard to workout effectively.. other than that keep eating!
    Yeah i understand i need to eat more, i don't NOT eat, i guess i probably just don't have the amount i should ahve for my height. Every morning and evening i'm going to try some push ups and sit ups, to try and build up my strength a little

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    By the sounds of it you're basically ****ed.

You need to eat, a lot, far more than you probably imagine 'a lot' is, and you need to lift heavy ****.
    Really? I do eat, obviously not as much as i should but when i'm full i stop, and i try to avoid snacking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JLXP)
    and i try to avoid snacking.
    I thought you said you were very skinny? :confused:

Have you checked the prices of any non-commercial gyms in your area? Some of the smaller gyms that are perhaps privately owned? They are generally cheaper to help compete with the massive chains. You'll see better results lifting than doing 100 press ups every day, not to mention you'll probably be neglecting large body parts (your back, legs etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Converse Rocker)
    I thought you said you were very skinny? :confused:

Have you checked the prices of any non-commercial gyms in your area? Some of the smaller gyms that are perhaps privately owned? They are generally cheaper to help compete with the massive chains. You'll see better results lifting than doing 100 press ups every day, not to mention you'll probably be neglecting large body parts (your back, legs etc)
    Well, based on what other people and height/weight charts suggest!
    Not too many near me, however many are starting to open and compete with each other. I'm keeping my eye out for some offers, but i might just wait until i move to university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JLXP)
    Well, based on what other people and height/weight charts suggest!
    Not too many near me, however many are starting to open and compete with each other. I'm keeping my eye out for some offers, but i might just wait until i move to university.
    You can get a reasonable physique/strength without ever touching a weight or going to a gym. But it is just more difficult. It is pretty simple to add plates to a bar or machine but it is more difficult to vary the resistance of a bodyweight excercise.

You should consider investing in a doorway chinup bar if nothing else. Get good a basic stuff like chins, pushups, bodyweight squats then start working up to weighted chins/1 arm chins, handstand pushups and pistols. If you get enough volume/food in on these excercises you will grow.

You could also look into gymnastic skills like the front lever/planche for upper body development. But that will take months, if not a year(s?) or more to develop a good lever/planche.

ReputationRep:
    Do pressups/pushups, and use a tree branch for pullups/chinups

Rocky style brah

ReputationRep:
    I agree with most people here, its hard to do it without weights, machine etc but its not impossible, just you might find you get to a point where it is hard to progress with bodyweight etc,

you could try a basic bodyweight routine for a few months then move onto a more intense circuit which you up the reps on weekly?

If you realy dont want to go to gym consider getting some home equipment, gumtree, adds for free or other personals online or in paper can be a good source for cheap secondhand equipment, especially bars and dumbells.

But you really should do chin ups/pull ups imo I think they are invaluable for strength progression, I dont trust them door mount ones cos my door frames are flimsy lol but you might be ok, if in doubt try and find out if any are reinforced, maybe put it in a garage if you have one?

ReputationRep:
    Get a physically demanding job. Bricklaying is a good one to get into.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.