Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, just something thats been running on my mind about getting an english degree... Isit respected? So many people say it's so broad and you will never ever really use all that extreme analysis/interpretation and paragraph structuring in a job?

I've got offers from exeter, glasgow, birmingham and kent for english (living out) but isit even worth getting in so much debt for it?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, English is a good degree to have behind you!! providing you do well, many jobs would happily welcome you! Just ask any English graduates!

ReputationRep:
    I also have offers for English courses and am having doubts

ReputationRep:
    English is a well respected degree. Yes, you are correct when saying the skills developed in the course are not 'directly' used in your job after (subject to the job) but it shows you have the ability to handle a very difficult degree. At the end of the day, only 'vocational' degrees require you use the course content/skills in your job. If this worries you and you want to expand and not become 'out of touch' with your skills learnt from your degree there are options to do this (teaching etc.).

ReputationRep:
    And, as with anything, if you enjoy it, you're going to do better at it, purely because you'll ind you WANT to o it. Or maybe that's just me?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm a first year doing English and I love it. My university has lined up some summer internships for us to apply to for this summer (BBC etc), and I'm already working in the area I want to go into afterwards (politics).

If you're career focussed and make an effort to get experience during the holidays while getting a good degree, I can't see why it would hold you back.

ReputationRep:
    Yes having a English degree is beneficial some universities has links to major broadcast stations BBC and ITV which offer internships. Work experience can be gained from there in fields such as presenting, journalism, radio, research and editing.

English graduates have wide career prospects the options are endless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SagarG)
    Hi all, just something thats been running on my mind about getting an english degree... Isit respected? So many people say it's so broad and you will never ever really use all that extreme analysis/interpretation and paragraph structuring in a job?

I've got offers from exeter, glasgow, birmingham and kent for english (living out) but isit even worth getting in so much debt for it?
    Like most arts and humanities subjects, if you are not interested in further research or teaching then there are few, if any, jobs which make use of your subject knowledge; which you could have gotten without having ever gone to university in the first place! The other users in this thread make basic critical thinking errors, conflating employment in things like journalism with having previously 'studied' English. The fact is most of these sorts of jobs do not require a degree, never mind an English degree.

Relevant work experience is the most important thing. You are right to ask yourself whether it is worth spending at least three years of your life, not to mention the increased tuition fees, 'studying' English.

ReputationRep:
    First of all, do you like it? Secondly, are you good at it? There are degrees that might seem 'safer', such as Science ones, but if you don't like/aren't good at Science, there's no point in taking a Science degree.

English is a good solid degree. Nobody's going to look at your CV and think "Wow- they've got an English degree!" but it's a perfectly respected degree.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.