Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emstein A.)
    I do (and will probably achieve fairly low grades in) R. E., Psychology and Religious Education at A2, and I hate each and every one of them. English Language is the most tolerable, though, and that's why I've applied to do Linguistics/English Language at university, but I'm thinking that if I don't get in I'm going to try for something else - something which can actually give me a job, I mean (and please don't try to persuade me that this course can.)

Buuut ... what else can I apply for with these A Levels, that doesn't have anything to do with these A Levels?

I'm thinking Midwifery, which at Manchester Uni counts Psychology as a science, buuut ...

Any other ideas?
    You will not get onto any nursing course without work experience

I cannot suggest anything as you have not indicated any areas of interest

ReputationRep:
    You're going to spend £9k/year to do an english course because it's the 'most tolerable'? I'd suggest taking a year out to seriously re-consider your options and maybe take some new A levels.

ReputationRep:
    Midwifery is really competitive. Without a passion to do this and some experience in doing some sort of 'caring' you are unlikely to get in for this.
    I would try and go and find out a lot more about the English course and try and decide if you really want to do this. Also look at other vocational qualifications maybe at college to see if any of these appeal.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you should do some research into careers that might interest you eg midwifery, nursing if you like that kind of thing and then apply to a foundation course where they will accept a range of different subjects and lower grades. And hopefully the foundation course will lead to a degree in that subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emstein A.)
    Is that possible?! Starting A Level all over again? How? That'd be a dream come true!
    Of course you can, I know someone who did nothing for about 3 years after his GCSE's and only then started doing a BTEC. I don't exactly know how you can do it, but surely there's someone like a careers adviser/year head who can help you at your college? There might be a fees you'd have to pay if you were to re-do it but it'd definitely be worth it in the long run than ending up doing something you don't want to do.

ReputationRep:
    Useless a-levels eh?story of my LIFE.
    I'm in a similar-ish ,WORSE-ish situation!If i don't work my ass of like mad this summer (9 exams inlc resits-.-) i will most likely end up with CCD, which i ended up with in this years jan examsI wna do childcare nursing at UoM(Uni of manc)or speech therapy.
    Id say my passion lies more with childcare nursing due to the fact it covers more biology based topics HOWEVER ,i think id do better at speech therapy as im OK at english langauge((much better than biology).Coincidently iv all 3 of the preffered subjects for speech therapy (biol/psych/englang)so idk mann:/ what to doooo??

p.s please could someone let me know if UoM consider students who have taken 3 years to complete their alevels?thankyoooooooo

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.