The Student Room Group

Solution to the Falkland Islands

What would happen if Argentina and the Falkland Islands resumed links and Argentinian people began settling on the Falkland Islands. Life would become much much easier for the people on those islands if they had relations with Argentina restored. Right now, the Islands are stagnating. Then after a period of time a referendum was called and a majority of people supported Argentinian sovereignty? Would the UK government really keep the line about "right to self-determination" going?

From what I gather, if you can support yourself there, you can move there. The Argentine government should just fund a couple of thousand people to move there and let them eventually get citizenship.

I guess there's some sort of restriction on South American people moving there though. In any other country that would be considered prejudice and xenophobic, given than 99% of the people who live there are British in origin and 2/3 were not even born there.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The thing is, something tells me the Argies don't want to share the islands, maybe it's something to do with the potential for lots of oil under the seabed not so far from there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by moonkatt
The thing is, something tells me the Argies don't want to share the islands, maybe it's something to do with the potential for lots of oil under the seabed not so far from there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ye, it's hard to know what both governments want. Are we so determined to cling to sovereignty because of the oil and are the Argentinians so desperate for it because of the oil.
Reply 3
Because flooding the island with Argentinians is clearly a way to colonise the islands in secret and is not that different from peacefully positioning a large number of argentinian soldiers there- it is a clear attempt to take british land. While it may be peaceful the effect would still be that the current inhabitants are denied their choice. The right to the islands go to the original inhabitants before people moving in. Otherwise the uk could flood argentina with our citizens (we have more people than them) and would then own their whole country. This would set an unacceptable precendent allowing the most populated country free reign over any land they wanted.
Reply 4
Original post by Aoide
Because flooding the island with Argentinians is clearly a way to colonise the islands in secret and is not that different from peacefully positioning a large number of argentinian soldiers there- it is a clear attempt to take british land. While it may be peaceful the effect would still be that the current inhabitants are denied their choice. The right to the islands go to the original inhabitants before people moving in. Otherwise the uk could flood argentina with our citizens (we have more people than them) and would then own their whole country. This would set an unacceptable precendent allowing the most populated country free reign over any land they wanted.

We've had millions of black Africans, black Caribbeans, Indians, Pakistanis, Chinese coming here. What are you proposing, that my vote trumps theirs and their heirs?

2/3 of the Falkland's population weren't born there. So I would bet that most of the 1/3 who were will be kids. This means that the vast majority of those 1,600 out of over 3,000 people who were eligible to vote in that referendum were not born on the Falkland Islands and were in all likelihood British.
(edited 11 years ago)
There already is a solution of the Falklands situation: things remain as they are.

What Argentina is doing is nothing short of imperialism, and their (thankfully) comparatively weak army is the only thing stopping them from just trying to take the country by force (again).

Original post by andypandy11
We've had millions of black Africans, black Caribbeans, Indians, Pakistanis, Chinese coming here. What are you proposing, that my vote trumps theirs and their heirs?

The point is, that by deliberately flooding a country (or area) with immigrants, for the sole purpose of claiming the country (or area) is little better than invasion.
What would happen if Argentina and the Falkland Islands resumed links and Argentinian people began settling on the Falkland Islands. Life would become much much easier for the people on those islands if they had relations with Argentina restored. Right now, the Islands are stagnating. Then after a period of time a referendum was called and a majority of people supported Argentinian sovereignty? Would the UK government really keep the line about "right to self-determination" going?

From what I gather, if you can support yourself there, you can move there. The Argentine government should just fund a couple of thousand people to move there and let them eventually get citizenship.

I guess there's some sort of restriction on South American people moving there though. In any other country that would be considered prejudice and xenophobic, given than 99% of the people who live there are British in origin and 2/3 were not even born there.

That's not a solution at all, that's a situation deliberately engineered to favour Argentina.
What would happen if Argentina and the Falkland Islands resumed links and Argentinian people began settling on the Falkland Islands.

When you say 'resumed links' do you mean it will be reverted back to a penal colony again?
Argentina shuts the **** up.

Nice and simple solution.
Reply 9

The notion of "solution" implies there is a problem.

What do you perceive the problem to be?
Reply 10
Original post by Studentus-anonymous

I'll go with this, I will also add 'Put up or shut up'.
Reply 11
Original post by Studentus-anonymous

Original post by meenu89
I'll go with this, I will also add 'Put up or shut up'.

This
There's plenty of empty space in Argentina, why would they want to move people to the Falklands? Too slowly and democratically regain control of it, there is no other plausible reason. No Argentinian has been deprived of their homeland of the Falklands.

No Argentinian need set foot on it, its not exactly a holiday retreat, its pissing rain half the time.
Reply 13
Argentina can either try and take the Islands by force (and be destroyed again) or they can shut up. They spend the whole time whining like little bitches so that the people don't realise what an awful job their government is doing.
Reply 14
2/3 of the Falkland's population weren't born there. So I would bet that most of the 1/3 who were will be kids. This means that the vast majority of those 1,600 out of over 3,000 people who were eligible to vote in that referendum were not born on the Falkland Islands and were in all likelihood British.

That is beyond idiotic. How can you possibly make that assumption?

And, fwiw, the restrictions for moving there are not really a great deal harsher than the rules for moving to places like the Channel Islands.
Original post by Farm_Ecology

The point is, that by deliberately flooding a country (or area) with immigrants, for the sole purpose of claiming the country (or area) is little better than invasion.

It's what our current claim is essentially based on.
Original post by anarchism101
It's what our current claim is essentially based on.

The UK has claimed the islands long before we had any established settlements on them.
Original post by pol pot noodles
The UK has claimed the islands long before we had any established settlements on them.

As did Spain, Argentina's predecessor state in the region.
Original post by anarchism101
As did Spain, Argentina's predecessor state in the region.

Spain doesn't claim the islands.
If Argentina really cared about the Falkland Islands they could have put some money up.

Set aside £3bn, that is a small scale project when it comes to international relations, it cost the UK about that to fight the Falklands War in 1982 so if they were going to fight and win a war (LOL) they would have to put up more than that.

There are only 3000 people on the Falkland Islands so if they set aside £3bn they could have offered each Falkland Islander £1m to resettle to the UK if the referendum had gone in favour of Argentina. I bet they would have got a majority then.

Surely as there is supposedly all this oil around, the Argentinans could have found £3bn to secure the country now.

Quick Reply

Latest