The Student Room Group

Would you ever consider being in a LDR?

question says it all

Scroll to see replies

Yep, when my boyfriend and I go to university in September we will probably be LDR.
I'd be in more pain splitting up with him than having to put up with LDR I think, but we won't know that until it happens. :smile:
I would not want to start a relationship long distance, as I think that part of being in a relationship is the intimacy that people share. However if we were in a relationship and it had to become long distance, then I would consider it. As someone who has many long distance friends, due to living abroad a few years back, I do not believe that it would be hard to be in a LDR for me really, as long as I know them well enough before it went long distance. I would also want to meet regularly too. To start a relationship as long distance, he would have to be one hell of a guy!

In short - yes I would consider it depending on the circumstances and the guy.
Reply 3
I would consider it and I'd give it a go.
But, I'm skeptical.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I tried it for a long time, but the long-distance thing hid the fact that she really pissed me off after a few days. That was a miserable trip to Portugal.
Reply 5
Never been in one but yes I'd consider it. I guess it would depend on who it was and whether I trusted them.
Reply 6
I think they only work (but often not for long) when a couple has been together for a while and are forced to move apart.

They also seem to be common for virgins on the internet who want to say they've had a partner.

But other than that? Nope.
Reply 7
Yes. But only with someone similarly low-maintenance (and equally prepared to 'make up for lost time' upon our meeting).
Reply 8
I live 3 hours away from my boyfriend, it's difficult but makes it very exciting when we do see each other. Hopefully we'll be in the same city when I go to uni in September.
I'd probably be a bit wary starting a relationship if it would be a LDR - for example meeting someone online and then getting together.

However, I had been with my boyfriend for two and a half years so we didn't even think about breaking up before I went to Uni... the LDR is just something we got used to.
Been in one, if you can still see each other frequently it's fine.
But waiting a few months at a time would simple be too frustrating for me and probably provoke some insecurity in me.
I'm worried about this, actually. When I go to Uni I don't want to have to break it off because I'll be the other side of the country.

I will probably apply to Universities close to the ones she applies to, and vice versa, to avoid a break up. Otherwise, if we are more than an hour out from each other, I think it would be unfair to expect the other person in the relationship to carry on.

So in answer to your question; no, I don't think a LDR would work for me.
Reply 12
No. I've done it and while I was very happy at the time, now that I've had the convenience of having someone in the same city as me, I don't think I could go back.
Reply 13
My ex lived in Ireland while i'm in England and it worked fine (we split up for other reasons) and my current boyfriend lives 4 hours away but soon going into the merchant navy where he could be at sea for up to 6 months at a time. WE've decided to give it a go so I guess it all depends on how strongly you feel for that person and what's best for both of you.
I think I would consider it, but it depends on the person and how strongly I felt about them and stuff like that. :smile: But I wouldn't outright say no.
If I truly liked the person, I definitely would consider it, and have done in the past.
I would never knowingly enter into an LDR, it's not for me. My best friend on the other hand, has been in her LDR for 5 years in September, they live a 2.5hr train journey apart.

When my boyfriend had to move for work and I couldn't cope with being alone as often as I needed to be (we had no friends or family around us, I really struggled) and moved back home we did end up in an LDR. There were 165 miles between us and we made it work for the better part of two years. It's over on Wednesday because he got a job back here :smile:

I think that if you see each other very infrequently (I saw my boyfriend every week, and my best friend sees hers at least a weekend per fortnight) and don't have any 'end in sight' for when you will get to be together, I would probably feel pretty hopeless, but if you do have an idea of when you can be together, then I think it could work.
Reply 17
I wouldn't enter a LDR but if you've been together for a while then yes, I was with my boyfriend for 3 years when he went to university about 2/3 hours away from where we live. Still with him now and we're reaching 4 years.
Yep; it was quite long distance when we started and now it's even further since I've gone to uni. It's not terrible (most of the time, at least,:cry2:), but I long for the day when we can see each other all the time:daydreaming:
Depends on the circumstances.

If for example, I had a foreign girlfriend who was here in the UK for term time but had to go back to her country for the holidays, I could deal with that easily. Heart grows fonder and what not in that case, me thinks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending