Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Would you ever consider being in a LDR? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Was with my ex for two years before she left for uni. We were happy for a few months but she bottled it and gave up. Wouldn't do it again :/ lost all faith.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a LDR now. There are times when it's really tough but using Skype and the ease of texting/calling does make it a lot easier. I miss being able to have a cuddle at the end of a long day though

ReputationRep:
    I think I am an example where an LDR has in fact worked. I was at college with my boyfriend for about 6 months when we knew we would be going to different unis in different parts of the country. Now we have had our 3 year anniversary a few months ago and still going strong. Even planning to move up to see him when I graduate in September (his course is 6 years long).
    I'm not saying it's a suitable condition for everyone, if fact at times it can be really difficult; especially when you can't see each other for 4+ weeks at a time, missing birthdays/valentines day or over the exam period. The few things that got me through is my full trust in him, the fact we alternate seeing each other every few weeks in term and we're both close at home in the holidays, also skyping/msn/texts and phone calls daily or every other day are a must.
    Not all of them work but some of them like myself do. Hope it all works out with you and the others that have commented saying they will being doing this next year.

ReputationRep:
    I was in an LDR for three years. I sort of fell into it and never planned it, but I fell in love with him. We met up and stayed with each other as much as we could (difficult considering he was in the USA and I'm in England - and expensive!). You sort of adapt to the situation, I knew I wasn't going to see him every week or whatever, so it was fine. I was in love and that went above everything else that came with it.

We did split up last year, but it was more down to his lack of support of my mental health at the time and decision to go back to college here that ended the relationship rather than the distance. LDR can work (and you like to hope it won't be LDR forever, if you're going to be together, you'll make it happen somehow), it's challenging and emotional when you have to say goodbye to 'em, knowing you won't see them for a while, but it can work.

ReputationRep:
    I am already in a successful LDR. I think an end in sight is probably necessary.

ReputationRep:
    I was in one for 4 years and after that ended I was in a different one for 4 months.

I'd probably never do it again.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, why not. if you think it'll last then go for it

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Why?
    • TSR Support Team

I have been in one and still with her now after being apart for a long time, it can work if you both willing to make the effort and communicate with each other.

ReputationRep:
    A relationship with no physical connection. I know noone wants to say it but everyone is thinking it.... No sex in a relationship is not going work. Long distance would never work for me but hey if i works for you then great.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Was in a massively long distance relationship (think about 18 hours away.) Didn't work out, not for reasons of distance. I did love them.

(Original post by formanmark)
    A relationship with no physical connection. I know noone wants to say it but everyone is thinking it.... No sex in a relationship is not going work. Long distance would never work for me but hey if i works for you then great.
    I'm asexual so it's not an issue for everyone :P

ReputationRep:
    I'm in one and have been for about 13 months now. It's not a massively long distance between us though - he's in Nottingham and I'm in Manchester. We see each other fortnightly on the weekends if we can and aren't occupied by uni stuff or friends' birthdays etc. Usually, we'll go for longer without seeing each other over exam periods, but beforehand we try to see each other for like a solid week. For example, we saw each other before Christmas for about a week and then didn't see each other again until toward the end of January.

Overall, I'd say being long distance is actually beneficial to our relationship and personal lives as we both have very demanding degrees going on. If we were in each other's company all the time, I have no doubt that our business would make us grind on each other and also each other's company would impact on our studies. Also, seeing each other after a long while makes it all the more pleasant!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Yes. But only with someone similarly low-maintenance
    I spent most of last year in one (she's now much much closer) and this ^ was pretty much the deciding factor. I can't imagine being in a long-distance relationship with someone who needed lots of reassurance/validation/attention.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a LDR and I'd prefer to be that than find someone close who isn't my boyfriend! It's the guy, rather than the distance for me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm in one. It's been a LDR from the start and I never saw it as an issue although I think he did. It's an hour and 45 minutes on the train when I'm at home and 5 and half hours on the train when I'm at uni. We met over the Easter break last year and he was worried that we wouldn't cope once I was back at uni but we have done.

I don't regret entering into a relationship long distance and if I ever had to, I'd do it again.

(Original post by Pipsqueak :))
    I'm in a LDR and I'd prefer to be that than find someone close who isn't my boyfriend! It's the guy, rather than the distance for me!
    This sums it up for meeee

ReputationRep:
    I did but my ex didn't...

ReputationRep:
    Have been, on more than one occasion. I wouldn't say never again, but I can't see myself wanting that - would have to be someone really special.

ReputationRep:
    Why wouldn't I?

If we are in a relationship, we are supposed to be committed. You wouldn't betray your OH if they were close in distance to you, so why is it any different if location is an issue?

Obviously you would miss them, but there are still ways to keep in touch - Skype, phones and so on. Being away from them would also make you appreciate them even more.

I just can't see how being an LDR is a legitimate reason for a relationship to break up.

ReputationRep:
    I've been in a long distance relationship. It was good for me, because I realised the bad things after a while and I broke up with him. True that it broke us up, but it showed me who he really was.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmmpie)
    Have been, on more than one occasion. I wouldn't say never again, but I can't see myself wanting that - would have to be someone really special.
    I don't think you should be in a relationship unless the person is "really special" to you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 14, 2013
Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.