Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'll keep this as short as possible.

It's my girlfriend of 3 months 18th birthday in a couple of weeks.
    I am seeing her/spending time with her throughout the day and then going out for a meal with her during the evening. I'm also going down the pub with her and others in celebration of her birthday on a separate day.
    In other words, I'll be spending a lot of time with her!
    Here is the dilemma; I've been invited to go clubbing in celebration of one of my friends birthday, on my girlfriends birthday! However, I wouldn't be going out till say 10-11pm. (Her birthday meal is at 7 so we'll be done by 9 at the latest - after which I'll be going home and she'll be going to hers, so as far as we're concerned we won't be seeing each other for the rest of the night.)
    So, me going clubbing won't affect any of her plans in the slightest!
    I've even invited her. But she says she doesn't want to come, she wants to spend time with her family, which I respect and I'm fine with that!
    However, when I told her I was planning on going, she told me that she was pretty upset because it was her birthday, but that if it made me happy than I should go.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO?
    I feel bad if I go. But then, if I don't go I'll just be sitting at home doing nothing.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Well if you were planning on going home and she was spending time with her family then I don't see why you shouldn't go out... Does she really expect you to stay at home bored just because it's her birthday?
    I would understand her view if you had planned to spend the night together, but you haven't...

ReputationRep:
    Be direct and speak to her. Put across you opinion and point of view - to me it seems fairly reasonable.

If she doesn't see it however, then it's up to you to decide if you will go clubbing or stay with her.

Nobody else can make that decision for you. You must simply do what you believe is right and fair.

ReputationRep:
    Tell her she's being ridiculous. If you were blowing her off for your friends, she'd have a point. You're not even supposed to be spending time with her that night, it's kind of none of her business what you do instead ...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2013
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.