Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey i got a mid 80's on a C1 paper and am considering retaking as i am pretty sure i can get 95+

However is it worth it?
    How much do unis look at resits
    Thanks =)

ReputationRep:
    Yes, C1 is one exam that you'll get very familiar with by the time you've done C2, so it really wouldn't require much more work if you wanted to resit with a view to get a high UMS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    Yes, C1 is one exam that you'll get very familiar with by the time you've done C2, so it really wouldn't require much more work if you wanted to resit with a view to get a high UMS.
    Thanks but will universities see this as a bad thing, i intend to apply for medicine =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YouKnowMyName)
    Thanks but will universities see this as a bad thing, i intend to apply for medicine =/
    Universities won't even know, unless you're applying to Cambridge. Also, there's not really much point in resitting it if you're applying for medicine, although if the resit isn't too expensive it isn't going to do any harm.

ReputationRep:
    If you think you can get higher, why not? If you're applying for medicine, you need all the UMS points you can get. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    Universities won't even know, unless you're applying to Cambridge. Also, there's not really much point in resitting it if you're applying for medicine, although if the resit isn't too expensive it isn't going to do any harm.
    I have heard though that even if you dont write down that you resit an exam they still know you did =/

ReputationRep:
    Hi while your all on the subject would anybody mind giving me advice on whether mine is worth resitting?

I have a solid B in as overall and 109 UMS out of 300 overall in my A2 and I have a paper in June worth 150. Is it worth resitting one of my written papers? I'm aiming for a B grade overall

ReputationRep:
    I have heard though that even if you dont write down that you resit an exam they still know you did =/
    No, they don't. The only University that will know is Cambridge, and that's because they make you fill out a form to declare resits and module marks.

ReputationRep:
    currently i'm in year 13 and am studying for my core 4 exam. Personally I would definitely resit core one but resit it in January of yea 13. This is because after core 2 core 1 seems a lot easier but seriously after core 3 you can do core one without even trying. I would not advise doing it with your core 4 as many people do a serious amount of resits here to boost their grade and no where near as many in January. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge ask for a form where you have to declare the resits.
    UCL say on their website that students who have resat may not be prepared for their programme. They do not like module resits.
    Other than those two, I don't think any other medical schools mind about resitting modules

EDIT: some medical schools (e.g Nottingham) allow one resit per subject. Seeing as the standard offer is AAA then it may be worth saving the resit incase another module doesn't go to plan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im7)
    Cambridge ask for a form where you have to declare the resits.
    UCL say on their website that students who have resat may not be prepared for their programme. They do not like module resits.
    Other than those two, I don't think any other medical schools mind about resitting modules

EDIT: some medical schools (e.g Nottingham) allow one resit per subject. Seeing as the standard offer is AAA then it may be worth saving the resit incase another module doesn't go to plan
    So overall should i do it or not

ReputationRep:
    85 in C1. Not worth resitting.

Unless you want to go cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    Cus next year your exams are ONLY in summer, i say yes. Retake, cus if you find out you need those extra 15 points for uni in a year on top of all your other exams ( guessing about 8?), you're not going to want to do C1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frogs r everywhere)
    85 in C1. Not worth resitting.

Unless you want to go cambridge?
    Resitting is not the problem for me - i can handle that

Im more worried how unis will percieve me retaking c1

ReputationRep:
    Universities do not see exams you resit if you resit it the following summer to when you took it.

Right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hormonal)
    Universities do not see exams you resit if you resit it the following summer to when you took it.

Right?
    Is this true =p

ReputationRep:
    Hey i got a mid 80's on a C1 paper and am considering retaking as i am pretty sure i can get 95+

However is it worth it?
    How much do unis look at resits
    Thanks =)
    I definitely advise retaking. As others have said, once you've done Core 2, Core 1 becomes much clearer and easier. However, I don't advise retaking if you think a higher UMS will look better to universities because, unless you apply to Cambridge, the universities won't see your UMS scores. I only advise it because I think a high C1 grade can put you in a much more comfortable position when it comes to your other exams. (This is perhaps especially important as, next year, you'll have to take all your exams in June, so won't be able to resit C3 or anything if you do find you mess it up.)

As for how it will look in your university application, universities won't see that you've retaken. What happens is you add all your modules to your UCAS form and enter the grade you achieved for each. By the time you do this, you'll have your resit grade, so you can just enter your grade (which will definitely be an A since you go for the higher grade - i.e. even if you got a B in the resit, you can still stick with the A). The only way that a university can see that you're resitting is if you don't have the module grade by the time you apply, in which case you enter the grade as "pending". Cambridge have a separate form which you fill out especially for them, and that's where they see your UMS scores.

So, really, I don't think there's much to lose. And you'll probably be grateful when you're in your A2 year as a nice, high AS UMS score can put you in a much more comfortable position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by echoes.)
    I definitely advise retaking. As others have said, once you've done Core 2, Core 1 becomes much clearer and easier. However, I don't advise retaking if you think a higher UMS will look better to universities because, unless you apply to Cambridge, the universities won't see your UMS scores. I only advise it because I think a high C1 grade can put you in a much more comfortable position when it comes to your other exams. (This is perhaps especially important as, next year, you'll have to take all your exams in June, so won't be able to resit C3 or anything if you do find you mess it up.)

As for how it will look in your university application, universities won't see that you've retaken. What happens is you add all your modules to your UCAS form and enter the grade you achieved for each. By the time you do this, you'll have your resit grade, so you can just enter your grade (which will definitely be an A since you go for the higher grade - i.e. even if you got a B in the resit, you can still stick with the A). The only way that a university can see that you're resitting is if you don't have the module grade by the time you apply, in which case you enter the grade as "pending". Cambridge have a separate form which you fill out especially for them, and that's where they see your UMS scores.

So, really, I don't think there's much to lose. And you'll probably be grateful when you're in your A2 year as a nice, high AS UMS score can put you in a much more comfortable position.
    Thank you very much for this info, i feel a lot more comfortable now and will retake

Thank you =D

ReputationRep:
    I probably wouldn't resit if I was in your situation. Mid 80s is still a solid A, and you can make up the marks in the remaining modules.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for bumping, but i have a similar question
    I want to resit C1 in the summer with my C4 nad M1
    Overall atm I have 323 UMS and I need 480 for an overall A (I think)
    So i need roughly 80 UMS in both modules - I think this is unlikely and really want that A, but I also wana apply for medicine
    Shall I bother resitting C1? (Got a high B in it) or shall I work harder in my other modules?
    Will it look bad to unis as I've already resat an AS maths module

thanks!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.