Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi people,
    I read on the internet that there is a few stores to buy food from locally. What I would like to know is how do you decide which to go to?
    I am creating a rough budget plan before I go to university this year and food is a hard one to figure out because it will be the first time that I buy and cook for myself. I am aware not to live off of ready cooked meals but I have no idea how much stuff costs at each place.
    Thanks for any replies in advance!

ReputationRep:
    I've heard there is an aldi very close that is pretty popular. With good fresh food and cheap wine! I won't be buying any of their ready made lasagne though...
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Hey there are plenty of shops. If you're staying in halls there is an Aldi down a large set of stairs but a 5 min walk. Also there is a large Sainsbury's metro on Buchanan st which is about a 5/10 min walk. Then next to the main buildings there is a small co-op and a small tesco. If you want to do a big shop there is a big Morrisons in Dennistoun a 20min walk from the uni and if you get the 41 bus from straight outside the uni it takes you to an Asda superstore at the Forge. Hope this helps
    (Original post by TheRampantLlama)
    Hi people,
    I read on the internet that there is a few stores to buy food from locally. What I would like to know is how do you decide which to go to?
    I am creating a rough budget plan before I go to university this year and food is a hard one to figure out because it will be the first time that I buy and cook for myself. I am aware not to live off of ready cooked meals but I have no idea how much stuff costs at each place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyrical_lie)
    Hey there are plenty of shops. If you're staying in halls there is an Aldi down a large set of stairs but a 5 min walk. Also there is a large Sainsbury's metro on Buchanan st which is about a 5/10 min walk. Then next to the main buildings there is a small co-op and a small tesco. If you want to do a big shop there is a big Morrisons in Dennistoun a 20min walk from the uni and if you get the 41 bus from straight outside the uni it takes you to an Asda superstore at the Forge. Hope this helps
    The Tesco is down the road on High Street after Aldi, the shop across the wee Co-op is a Sainsbury's.

(Original post by TheRampantLlama)
    Hi people,
    Only takes about 10 minutes to walk to Morrisons from halls, I personally go there and Aldi the most. Usually get my fresh groceries from Morrisons as Aldi often has, well, rather rotten and mouldy stuff. But stuff like potatoes, carrots and onions are a good buy from there. Also, if you buy mince meat from Aldi, use it the same day. I've wasted like 2 kilos worth of meat, as I've bought mince meat that's by date is in 4 days but one or two days after it's just grey and smelly.

There's also the big Tesco Extra about a 20-25min walk away up north, but you could also take the bus (12 or 56), it's only one or two stops.

On High Street there's also the Eastern European Food Shop. It's amazing! I'm from Finland and I am not really used to eating non-dark bread, so I get my supplies from there. It's also quite nice and quirky and has stuff normal shops don't.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much guys! This really helps!

ReputationRep:
    I found I could eat pretty well for £30 a week. And I eat a fair bit. Morrisons is the best one in the city centre I think, just because its the only proper big supermarket in walking distance and you get so much more choice. Theres also the big new Tesco up Sauchiehall St which is pretty cheap.

ReputationRep:
    Dude, just go to Aldi. Costs less than £20 to feed myself, easily. Sometimes less than £10 if I decide not to bother with meat. Usually it's around £15.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.