Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sherbet)
    You're face isn't covered so that's fine, but the bare below the elbow rules is non negotiable unfortunately. Is the hijab not enough?

I'd advise against it as you're just separating yourself from your patients, some of whom I'm afraid to say will judge you negatively. Doctors are meant to be approachable and look professional and you would be setting yourself apart and it's hard to know how some older and more traditional patients might see you. I don't know too much about islam but there are girls on my course who wear the hijab and dress modestly and manage to look great on placement, so I'd advise sticking with the hijab if I was you.

On the other hand I have placement in an area with a high muslim population so I'm sure they'd see it as very appropriate.

Edit: Basically the only reason that I'm saying this is if you find the hijab is modern enough and conforms with your beliefs then I'd stick with that. As a christian I wouldn't wear a cross in case it affected how a patient might interact with me, the same as someone with tattoos might try and cover them for placement . But it's up to you, you should feel comfortable.

Well i did say I was fine with below the elbows like that.

And I am still going to be thinking about it further. I know what you're saying is very true, but some people will judge regardless. My hijab itself will probably be like a beacon sometimes lol. My friend's brother is a doc, and has a beard, and one of his patients thought he was trying to kill him because he was white -_-. And a beard isn't even as almost exclusively muslim.

Well anyway. I could just woo them with my wonderful manners and charming smile if anyone gets too difficult They gotta love me then right? :P

ReputationRep:
    There are a lot of medics on my course who wear abayas, but the only issue that could possibly hinder them is when we do clinical skills sessions, and they're not really able to show their arms for various clinical things - e.g when we're all practising taking blood pressure, they could have a go on someone else but they don't really get practised on themselves...

However, it's a minor thing, in my opinion it's up to you whatever you do but dont let religion get in the way of your learning

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabzy1)
    Hello and salaam to everyone. I have been trying to look this up, but I can't find much about how easy/hard/feasible it is to wear an abaya as a medic. I saw a thread on here about hijab, but I'm fine with that. It's just I haven't seen many abaya-clad doctors, so if anyone has any experience or anything, feel free to answer!

I am starting my medicine career next year iA, at HYMS. Currently, i only wear the hijab, but the thought of wearing abaya has been on my mind for about a year. The main thing that stops me is I'm unsure of how feasible it will be, considering my hopes of a medical career. Now that it's basically real, and I have an offer, so it's happening, I'm thinking about this more seriously. I really would like to be able to start wearing it, but I don't want to get to a point where I can't do it, so I have to stop wearing it.

So if anyone has any thoughts or advice, I'd appreciate it
    Hey there . I generally wear long skirts though I have seen few drs wearing abayas around the hospital. It hasn't been a problem so far and doubt wearing a skirt/abaya will be a problem either. So long as you are happy to comply with the bare below the arms then it should be fine. Only issue I can see with abayas are some are very flowy and you may have some difficultly accessing your arms when you are doing clinical skills sessions for example but there are ofcourse different styles to choose from. If you want to, then do so :^_^:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    On a various types of scrubs note... saw some friends on their elective in dress style scrubs for O&G type specialties.

But also remember reading (as an anecdote on the popular doctors forum - no idea if true or not ) about increased densities of perineal/faecal flora being present in non-trouser scrubs environments..!

I've heard of this too. My hospital does not have any skirt or dress scrubs, it's all trousers and tops. The dresses I've seen elsewhere are only knee length too, so for modesty reasons you're probably better off in the trousers!

As for the abaya, I've seen some doctors wearing it, and as long as you comply with the Trust's uniform policy you should be ok. Be aware that you may need to be able to run in it though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    I've heard of this too. My hospital does not have any skirt or dress scrubs, it's all trousers and tops. The dresses I've seen elsewhere are only knee length too, so for modesty reasons you're probably better off in the trousers!

As for the abaya, I've seen some doctors wearing it, and as long as you comply with the Trust's uniform policy you should be ok. Be aware that you may need to be able to run in it though!
    I'm really worried about this issue too. I have worn an abayah for 8 years as i believe it is obligatory. I don't wear the traditional black flowy ones, more like long sleeved jersey maxi dresses etc. I've worked so hard to get my offer at barts i really don't want this to hinder me. So far i've been fine during work experience and in theatre i wore a surgical gown over scrubs and a surgical hood which covered my hair and neck but I am worried about departments such as A&E in some hospitals where doctors where scrubs. How flexible are the uniform policies for doctors? Could i wear a scrub top but with a maxi skirt underneath and a top with the sleeves rolled up to the elbows? Any advice would be really appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabzy1)
    Hello and salaam to everyone. I have been trying to look this up, but I can't find much about how easy/hard/feasible it is to wear an abaya as a medic. I saw a thread on here about hijab, but I'm fine with that. It's just I haven't seen many abaya-clad doctors, so if anyone has any experience or anything, feel free to answer!

I am starting my medicine career next year iA, at HYMS. Currently, i only wear the hijab, but the thought of wearing abaya has been on my mind for about a year. The main thing that stops me is I'm unsure of how feasible it will be, considering my hopes of a medical career. Now that it's basically real, and I have an offer, so it's happening, I'm thinking about this more seriously. I really would like to be able to start wearing it, but I don't want to get to a point where I can't do it, so I have to stop wearing it.

So if anyone has any thoughts or advice, I'd appreciate it
    Salam i am in the same position except i have worn an abaya since the age of 10 and I really do not want to take it off! How has it been fot you sk far and could you give me any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ak395)
    I'm really worried about this issue too. I have worn an abayah for 8 years as i believe it is obligatory. I don't wear the traditional black flowy ones, more like long sleeved jersey maxi dresses etc. I've worked so hard to get my offer at barts i really don't want this to hinder me. So far i've been fine during work experience and in theatre i wore a surgical gown over scrubs and a surgical hood which covered my hair and neck but I am worried about departments such as A&E in some hospitals where doctors where scrubs. How flexible are the uniform policies for doctors? Could i wear a scrub top but with a maxi skirt underneath and a top with the sleeves rolled up to the elbows? Any advice would be really appreciated.
    I can't give you a definite answer, I'm afraid. Are scrub trousers not an option?

Most places allow you to wear a top under your scrub top when not in theatres, as long as the sleeves are rolled up. I don't know about the skirt.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.